Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amiga 500 or 2000? Who played on this system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Amiga 500 or 2000? Who played on this system?

I can hear the crickets chirping already But!!!
    Yep I had an Amiga back in the day. Though it was trying to be a computer system. It did not fall short on the gaming. As the format began to falter in the market. I ended up with a ton of games. Not to mention a few I had writen in AMOS. The Amiga's custom programming language for graphics and game programming. That was the only programming language I ever learned. I had magazines coming in from the UK and such including a free disk in each issue with game samples to try. But mainly I remember Guantlet on the Amiga. I played the heck out of that game.
    Anyway thanks for letting me air out another old memory.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • misterdroid
    Banned
    • Jan 10, 2008

I have been trying to find an amiga in the wild for more years than I care to admit. Do you ever check out Retro Gamer magazine? They are out of the UK where Amiga was apparently much more popular than here. They devote a solid amount of coverage to Amiga. Well worth seeking out. I learn a lot every time I pick it up.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

I did not do much gaming on the Amiga, but I did begin my video editing and computer generated animation world there. mmmmm toast.

Comment

• misterdroid
        Banned
        • Jan 10, 2008

I actually think about that a lot. I initially went to college as a film major, later I was hijacked by the design department, so I ended college as a graphic designer. But I often think back to how desperately I wanted a video toaster. And looking at what you could do with it and it's specs compared to a modern computer... I am pretty sure my ipod has more raw power than an Amiga.
        If you could travel back in time and describe to me the features of my cell phone... I would have thought you where crazy!

"Yeah, its a phone, about the size of a bar of soap, but thinner. It has an operating system based on a unix derivative, can run programs and games. It has a touch screen and about 2 gigs of memory. The memory is on something like a floppy, but about the size of my pinky fingernail. It can wirelessly access "the interwebs", and for the most part can act as a computer. Also, it is a camera."

Yeah... slow down time lord! I am going to jump on my Quadra series Mac. Its got a 33mhz cpu... its like lightning! Phone with a camera... Crazy!

Yes I have fantasies about time travelling and insulting myself.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

The Amiga was a great computer in its day. Its probably the only old computer I would gladly buy and always use. There was always alot of competition between Atari ST users and Amiga's. My friend had a ST. I wouldnt have cared I would have been happy with either. The Amiga still has a very good following.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

I borrowed my friend's Amiga 1200 for a few months while he went on an extended vacation.
            Wasn't overly impressed, TBH.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LadyZod
              Superman's Gal Pal
              • Jan 27, 2007

I remember playing on the Toaster during my TV Production class in at the Art Institute. I had a ton of fun on that piece of ancient tech!
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
              Check out my art:
              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by misterdroid
                I have been trying to find an amiga in the wild for more years than I care to admit. Do you ever check out Retro Gamer magazine? They are out of the UK where Amiga was apparently much more popular than here. They devote a solid amount of coverage to Amiga. Well worth seeking out. I learn a lot every time I pick it up.
                Yep, I have read retro gamer. Its been awhile. I think I actually have the cover CD that could emulate the Amiga on an IBM compatable computer. I was too chicken to give it a try. Many years before I packed up the Amiga 500 and a ton of software Freeware and accessories and dropped it off at Goodwill. Sad day!!!
                Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎