Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for GI Joe (carded) collectors.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Question for GI Joe (carded) collectors.

I have 7 1982 straight arm figures MOC (Rock N Roll, Zap, Flash, Grunt, Stalker, Breaker, Short Fuze). Only problem is they have their "points" cut out.

I'm honestly totally on the fence about parting with these guys, but I guess if the money was right I would. Normally I would never sell in a lot, but with the points cut out I'm wondering just how much their value decreases individually?
    I know it's a LOT, I'm under no pretenses that they are worth close to what a full carded figure is worth.
    But do you think it would be more enticing for a buyer to get all 7 at once? considering their condition?
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I would think so. Getting all 7 would be nice, especially MOC with the exception of the points. Of course, I have no idea what kind of money they would go for. But the whole group like that, would likely sell better than individual ones like that.

Because the guy who is willing to have them without the points, is just happy to have them in his collection like that. But if you part it out, someone might buy one or two and then others may pass because of the condition. Whereas, if they're sold in a lot, you're likely to find a buyer who enjoys them as they are.

If that makes any sense.

Comment

• MightyMegs
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 5, 2009

If you are going for maximum value, do what the vintage Star Wars guys have been doing; when they get an unopened figure on a cut or beater card, they send it in the AFA to have it graded Loose/Uncirculated. Basically, AFA opens the figure for you... then they case up the loose figre and give it an 'uncirculated' (never in public hands) grade. I'm not sure how big the market would be in Joes, but it's really caught fire in vintage Star Wars.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by MightyMegs
        If you are going for maximum value, do what the vintage Star Wars guys have been doing; when they get an unopened figure on a cut or beater card, they send it in the AFA to have it graded Loose/Uncirculated. Basically, AFA opens the figure for you... then they case up the loose figre and give it an 'uncirculated' (never in public hands) grade. I'm not sure how big the market would be in Joes, but it's really caught fire in vintage Star Wars.
        it's a good idea
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

it drops the price big time bro... $50-$100 tops for each

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            • Jan 22, 2008

I just sold some Star wars with bubble lifts, I can see people using those. But to take an otherwise perfect card and take the figure off breaks my heart a little. I know the topic is pretty controversial on the Star wars boards. I'm against it personally.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by toys2cool
              it drops the price big time bro... $50-$100 tops for each
              Well, even at $100 each I'd still make some money on the lot. But for $50 I'd rather keep them I guess.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                Well, even at $100 each I'd still make some money on the lot. But for $50 I'd rather keep them I guess.
                I agree, but the thing is not all of those would command $100, I think maybe a could would the rest $50, But i think your best bet would be to sell them as a lot , get that one collector who would'nt mind them like that

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

doesn't AFA charge a lot for what they do and take several months to send it back? I would not send them anything

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by toys2cool
                    I agree, but the thing is not all of those would command $100, I think maybe a could would the rest $50, But i think your best bet would be to sell them as a lot , get that one collector who would'nt mind them like that
                    Yeah, I noticed the '83 -'85 stuff seems to be where the money's at. Maybe the 82 joes are a little boring. Had them for last few years and never even put em on display.
                    I hate having stuff in my closet, but I don't want to regret selling them if they're going to be worth more in the future. I don't collect based on prospective future value's but sometimes it might be worth holding on to something if you got a good deal on it.

Comment

• MightyMegs
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 5, 2009

I just sold some Star wars with bubble lifts, I can see people using those. But to take an otherwise perfect card and take the figure off breaks my heart a little. I know the topic is pretty controversial on the Star wars boards. I'm against it personally.
                      I think all toys should be opened and played with... but you were asking about getting the max $ from selling, so that was the way I saw.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                        • Jan 22, 2008

I think all toys should be opened and played with... but you were asking about getting the max $ from selling, so that was the way I saw.
                        yeah, I understand. And once they belong to somebody else it's no longer my business what they do with them. It's just sad with these particular cards as other than the POP missing, they are really very nice.

Comment

• Saroyan
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 4, 2011

When it comes to diecast which I have collected for the last 5 years- you generally do better selling individually or in small lots unless some are really rare items.

Sometimes yous just rolls the dice and takes yous chances!

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

Yeah, I noticed the '83 -'85 stuff seems to be where the money's at. Maybe the 82 joes are a little boring. Had them for last few years and never even put em on display.
                            I hate having stuff in my closet, but I don't want to regret selling them if they're going to be worth more in the future. I don't collect based on prospective future value's but sometimes it might be worth holding on to something if you got a good deal on it.
                            yea they've been going down and down....seems like people don't want to buy damage cards anymore trust me I know

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Also have a Carded Storm Shadow, unfortunately the card looks like somebody folded it completely in half at some point. sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎