• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Toy Hunters on Travel Channel Jan. 15th

Action Figure Insider Jan 15th on The Travel Channel

This may be just as rigged as 99% of these shows, but the eye candy alone will probably worth a watch. If it's good maybe it will make it to series.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Toy Talk
    Old and out of touch
    • Aug 7, 2009

Ugh!

What this show will really do is drive the prices up on our collectibles even more. Now even the garage sale prices for old toys (of any kind) will inflate.
    "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Since it's on the Travel channel, I was hoping it would Get much more exotic than SDCC.

Maybe their travel budget might at least allow for some cross border into Canada or Mexico.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Den82
        Career Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

Guess I need to start reading the board more. I just posted about this. Surprised I didn't hear of it sooner.

Right before I read about it, I was telling my dad I'm thinking of changing my eBay store to something more general, as I am not finding anything out there anymore and when I do, the people want top dollar if not more for what they have.

These guys are shameless scum who're hurting the community they so claim to love to be TV stars. SELL OUTS!

Comment

• Den82
          Career Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Comment

• MegoMark71
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 18, 2008

Anyone have a time it's on. I can't find the channel but a time could help my search.

Comment

• MegoMark71
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 18, 2008

ok i found it.

Comment

• stuntsister
                • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Den82
                Guess I need to start reading the board more. I just posted about this. Surprised I didn't hear of it sooner.

Right before I read about it, I was telling my dad I'm thinking of changing my eBay store to something more general, as I am not finding anything out there anymore and when I do, the people want top dollar if not more for what they have.

These guys are shameless scum who're hurting the community they so claim to love to be TV stars. SELL OUTS!
                I saw the show last night, for the most part, I thought it was very good. Of course, there were things that were obviously staged (like all reality shows), but I thought it was entertaining to both serious and casual collectors, as well as the general public. A show like this should not negatively affect buying and selling toys. I actually think it would have positive affects - such as people may dig thru their stuff and sell items that would otherwise sit in a basement not to ever be seen, or worse, thrown away. This is how new finds can happen.

As for the guy, Jordan, he's a dealer, and he has figured out a way of capitalizing on his career - good for him. It also gives average people a glimpse into the world of toy collecting. I think

Overall, I think this is a good thing for everyone, and the arguments against it seem selfish and short-sighted.

Steve

Comment

• garagesale
                  Dept. of Mego Studies
                  • Aug 8, 2006

It was fun and kind of educational. I didn't know Kenner was based in that region of OH/KY. Not too far from Wheeling, WV, really. I guess our Mego Meet is in the heart of American Toy Country. Hope they make this show a regular feature on The Travel Channel.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by stuntsister
                    Overall, I think this is a good thing for everyone, and the arguments against it seem selfish and short-sighted.

Yeah I honestly don't know how it can be spun into a terrible thing.

I've bought from Jordan in the past and drooled over some of his stuff as well, he has a knack for getting interesting items.

My only complaint is, the show is not airing in Canada.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

Overall, it was fun--I am not crazy about the artificial drama with the way it went to the breaks, but that's just a factor of this kind of show. I'm assuming the owner of a comics shop would really know the value of a Rocket-Firing Boba Fett (at least somewhat) and that that sequence was purposefully contrived.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Den82
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 17, 2011

Maybe it will be a good thing. I mean, he was offering less than 50% for most of what he bought. Then again, it is TV.

I said some pretty harsh things about it over at rebelscum.com and I'm pretty sure it got me banned,.

Comment

• stuntsister
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Den82
                          Maybe it will be a good thing. I mean, he was offering less than 50% for most of what he bought. Then again, it is TV.

I said some pretty harsh things about it over at rebelscum.com and I'm pretty sure it got me banned,.

It's very common for dealers to buy at 50% of the market value, then offer the items for sale at the full value. They justify that with the costs of sales/marketing (booth at a show, travel, etc.). Having a dealer buy an item for $50 then offer it for sale at $100 is typical. I don't have an issue with that, being a collector. I saw what your wrote on Rebel Scum, and I think you have every right to voice your opinion (quite honestly, your opinion may be more consistent with the majority), but I think when you wished him dead - well, c'mon, lets call a spade a spade - you pretty much crossed the line of decency. I like that you stirred it up though, but maybe you just went a wee too far. Whatcha think?

Steve

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I forgot to DVR this, and I started the thread! I hope it reairs.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• MegoMark71
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 18, 2008

I watched the show this morning. I agree that maybe it will help some people dig up that double telescoping darth that they never gave their kid. I also thought the idiot who had the boba fett was full of it. Even my wife knew about it being one of the most wanted figure. I wish it wasn't as staged as it came off but i did enjoy seeing most of what they showed. Overall i enjoyed the show.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎