X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Asian Horror Films

In the past few years, I've found that the best stuff seems to be coming from Japan and Korea.

What are your recommendations? Try to include the proper country of origin to help those of us who decide to seek it out.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Some great ones are:
    R Point...south korea
    Old Boy (not really horror but a great, great movie...part of Parks "Vengence trilogy")...south Korea
    Ichi the Killer (again not horror)...Japan
    Audition...Japan
    Versus(1st part of the trilogy)...Japan
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Rented The Host lately, its a really cool b-movie feeling monster movie.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

The Host was pretty good, but I thought it had a lousy ending.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Old Boy (not really horror but a great, great movie...part of Parks "Vengence trilogy")...south Korea
          Yeah, it's terrific and quite unsettling. I couldn't figure out why Hollywood hadn't remade this movie, then I saw the ending.

I have a friend who is a huge fan of Asian horror and sees most everything, he raved about Audition. He lent me a copy but I've never watched it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>he raved about Audition. He lent me a copy but I've never watched it.

Watch it; it's a good one. Creepy on a few levels.

"Rust" isn't bad either.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
              >he raved about Audition. He lent me a copy but I've never watched it.

Watch it; it's a good one. Creepy on a few levels.

"Rust" isn't bad either.
              Pretty sure he's gone on about Rust too. I'm not at all up on modern horror so I get lost in the conversation half the time.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
                Some great ones are:
                R Point...south korea
                Ichi the Killer (again not horror)...Japan
                Audition...Japan
                Versus(1st part of the trilogy)...Japan
                I haven't really seen R Point yet. Someone compared it to Dog Soldiers IIRC.

My favourite part of Old Boy would be the hallway tracking shot as he fights off dozens with his hammer.

Audition is definitely Takashi Miike's creepiest film IMHO.

I didn't know Versus was part of a Trilogy! Is the next film the flashforward to the future we see at the end of the film? Have the other films come out? What are they called?

I'm quite fond of Battle Royale.

I recently saw a pretty good (although predictable) one at the Toronto After Dark film Festival. It revolved around Simese Twins. Can't remember the name right now.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  Rented The Host lately, its a really cool b-movie feeling monster movie.
                  The Host was a lot of fun. Great performance by the lead actor, who was also in the "Vengeance" Trilogy (not Old Boy, but Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance), JSA and Shiri.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                    Pat Troughton in disguise
                    • Nov 21, 2007

I didn't know Versus was part of a Trilogy! Is the next film the flashforward to the future we see at the end of the film? Have the other films come out? What are they called?
                    I havn't seen them about yet although I was told that a film called "down to hell" was the first sequel.
                    Other films by the same director are worth checking out such as "Alive" and "Sky High"(not the disney superhero movie).
                    Battle Royale was a great movie...shame the sequel was not as good.
                    If you like asian movies have you seen "Shaolin soccer" and "Battlefield Baseball" or "Kung Fu Hustle" all great movies.
                    Strangely enough "Old Boy" is much much better than the original comic...which I picked up after seeing the movie...thats gotta be a first.
                    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>I'm quite fond of Battle Royale.

Another EXCELLENT film! Although I wouldn't call it a horror film. As a matter of fact I kinda wished for something like this back when I was in high school. (I think I woulda won too; uzi or no.)

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                        >I'm quite fond of Battle Royale.

Another EXCELLENT film! Although I wouldn't call it a horror film. As a matter of fact I kinda wished for something like this back when I was in high school. (I think I woulda won too; uzi or no.)

Don C.
                        You are right. Not quite a traditional horror film. More of a film in the thriller vein. Although I think there is an element of horror to it when you put children in this kind of danger.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
                          I havn't seen them about yet although I was told that a film called "down to hell" was the first sequel.
                          Other films by the same director are worth checking out such as "Alive" and "Sky High"(not the disney superhero movie).
                          Battle Royale was a great movie...shame the sequel was not as good.
                          If you like asian movies have you seen "Shaolin soccer" and "Battlefield Baseball" or "Kung Fu Hustle" all great movies.
                          Strangely enough "Old Boy" is much much better than the original comic...which I picked up after seeing the movie...thats gotta be a first.
                          I saw Alive at the Toronto Film Festival a number of years back (I had seen versus there originally) and was hugely dissappointed with how the Two Guys in a Room scenario was handled (I couldn't help comparing it to Saw).

Love Stephen Chow, and Battlefield Baseball was gonzo fun.

I was dissappointed by the Oldboy manga as well. It's as if the story was too thin to stretch over so many volumes. The Battle Royale manga exceeded expectations. In many ways, I love the fact that we actually got to get to know all the other canon fodder better. The sequel was dissappointing.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>Although I think there is an element of horror to it when you put children in this kind of danger.

I guess it depends on how you feel about children.... Still; it's tough to differentiate between "horror" and "thriller" sometimes, and this flick is no exception there.

So; has anyone here seen any of the oldschool horror films, like "The Bride With White Hair" or *shudder* any of the Japanese "Dracula" films? Or "Iron Man Tetsuo?"

...and would you guys consider the "DaiMajin" films horror? If so I like THOSE too.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                              >Although I think there is an element of horror to it when you put children in this kind of danger.

I guess it depends on how you feel about children.... Still; it's tough to differentiate between "horror" and "thriller" sometimes, and this flick is no exception there.

So; has anyone here seen any of the oldschool horror films, like "The Bride With White Hair" or *shudder* any of the Japanese "Dracula" films? Or "Iron Man Tetsuo?"

...and would you guys consider the "DaiMajin" films horror? If so I like THOSE too.

Don C.
                              I'm quite fond of The Bride with White Hair. It was so beautifully choreographed and lensed. Also the Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy that palitoy mentioned in the other thread.

I liked Hiroku the Goblin better than the original Tetsuo Iron Man, and Body Hammer falls somewhere between the two.

Also partial to the Hopping Vampire genre.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎