X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Buying Advice Again

This guy contacted me via Craigslist telling me he has a bunch of stuff from his childhood and wants to find out "how he could go about selling them". I told him if he was interested in selling, I'd be interested in seeing them and requested some pictures.

First of all, I try not to get excited when people contact me anymore. Aside from the fact there are a lot of time wasters on Craigslist, I have reason to believe another local toy dealer is jerking me around under different identities just to get under my skin and waste my time. Could be paranoia, but maybe I am right.

If he is serious, I don't like the way he is wording things. Like "looking to see what I can sell them for". Do you WANT to sell them or are you just wasting my time by having me give a free appraisal?

Anyway, here is the loot:
    KODAK Gallery | Photo Merchandise

When I see stuff like this, I feel it's just a joke being played on me (he said he has more). But if he is real, I'd really like to get, but he seems like he's going to want the utmost top dollar number.

What should I offer him and how should I play this? Right now, I am low on cash and really shouldn't be buying a lot like this. I know not all of this is high end, but a few of those Thundercats pieces are pretty up there.
    Last edited by Den82; Jan 7, '12, 8:53 AM.
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Nothing shows up when I go to the link.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Den82
      Career Member
      • Jan 17, 2011

Will work now.

Comment

• Den82
        Career Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

OK, forget it.

I got off the phone with him and already wants way more than I am willing/able to pay just on what is in the photos. Of course, when I asked him if he had an idea of what he wanted he right away went to the ol' "well, I looked on eBay and there was an asking price on ___ for $1,8000". They always only see AFA graded stuff.

Comment

• Den82
          Career Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

I have a hard time giving up. Once we started talking about price, he got less talkative.

But I emailed him twice since we spoke. I basically offered to work with him by a simple system. I'd pay 50% of whatever the same item most recently sold on eBay and then a short list today of what I'd buy right now.

For instance:

MOTU Battle Bones $39.95 $20.00
          MOTU Dragon Blaster Skeletor $37.99 $20.00
          THUNDERCATS Mumm-Ra $69.32 $35.00
          THUNDERCATS Hachiman $50.00 $25.00 (one sold a few days earlier for $39.99)
          THUNDERCATS Snarf $109.99 (w/ free ship, which had to be between $5-$6) $50.00

Is that not fair? It's only like what, 25% less than what he'd actually be getting with fees?

Now I know he's one of those guys who is never going to put these up on eBay.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
            70's Era Pimp
            • Sep 7, 2011

I think your offer is fair. Some people just can't be reasoned with. Don't get too anxious. Bide your time. More than likely he won't find someone offering more. If he is not the type of guy to do the work and list on Ebay himself, he will get back to you. Leave the door open with a very nice "thanks for letting me know about your collection" speech. Touch base with him in a couple of weeks.

Patience is the key here. Don't be pushy. He will come around. When dealing with collectors, you have to gauge their "love" for something. It seems as though he has a nice collection, that he spent a lot of time putting together. He has higher expectations on his reselling of it. Given time, he will come around to a more realistic understanding. More than likely he is selling out of necessity. Which means, as it doesn't sell, he NEEDS to sell it more and more.

Be patient. Be kind. Stay in touch with him.

Don't be pushy. Don't be rude. Don't pester him with emails.

Some of that may seem obvious, but I wanted to hit the basic points. Best of luck!

Comment

• Den82
              Career Member
              • Jan 17, 2011

He claims he is not a collector at all and that this is all stuff he had from when he was a kid. When I asked him why he had so much boxed and carded stuff, he said he'd get extras for birthdays and Christmas and just keep it.

Not sure if I really buy that, but whatever.

He hasn't replied to my last 2 emails where I made him the offers. Before that, he was pretty quick to respond. But if he refuses, then I know where his head is. He's a hard head with fantasies of sitting on a goldmine.

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

Unless I wanted it for my own collection, I wouldn't offer that much.
                I won't bother with any single pieces for resale unless I can clear $20 on it.
                Just not worth my time.

When I get solicitations I usually give them a price of what I am willing / able to pay. Tell them I am sorry the offer is so low, that they could probably get more selling individually on ebay. But I just don't have more available right now.
                If I get it, great! Then I have enough profit margin to caver the time and hassle of taking pics and writing listings and covering fees.
                If not, then I haven't wasted a ton of time for no reason.

Now, if there are some pieces that I want for my own collection, that changes the game a bit. If I am short on cash, I will ask about just buying the stuff I need. If I have enough available, I will give them a better offer for the whole lot.
                High enough that I can take what I want, and still break even on the total price by selling what I don't.

Comment

• Den82
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

Well, these would be for my own stash.

But when I am offered stuff and find stuff in the wild and the seller wants to much, I am telling you, it drives me nuts. It really puts a damper on my outlook and hurts my enthusiasm for toys.

I need to learn to get over stuff. It might be because I am hungry for stuff and just not finding a lot of it lately.

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Den82
                    I have a hard time giving up. Once we started talking about price, he got less talkative.

But I emailed him twice since we spoke. I basically offered to work with him by a simple system. I'd pay 50% of whatever the same item most recently sold on eBay and then a short list today of what I'd buy right now.

For instance:

MOTU Battle Bones $39.95 $20.00
                    MOTU Dragon Blaster Skeletor $37.99 $20.00
                    THUNDERCATS Mumm-Ra $69.32 $35.00
                    THUNDERCATS Hachiman $50.00 $25.00 (one sold a few days earlier for $39.99)
                    THUNDERCATS Snarf $109.99 (w/ free ship, which had to be between $5-$6) $50.00

Is that not fair? It's only like what, 25% less than what he'd actually be getting with fees?

Now I know he's one of those guys who is never going to put these up on eBay.
                    you want my honest opinion about everything? and this is not meant to be rude or anything and if it comes off that way then it's my bad but not my intention...

of course he's gonna write you and ask how much would you pay if you have an ad on craigslist, everyone wants to try and get top dollar for stuff, so to me his questions were fair and legit

why would he accept half of what they go for on ebay when he can easily list it himself? Sorry i just don't get that, if someone tells me I'd give you half of what it goes for, right there I'd stop and say yea for that i'd list it myself

and 3rd, i think your prices are kind of on the lowball side...a carded mumm-ra for $35? that's an easy $200 piece all day long,Dragon blaster skeletor in good condition easily $100+ , the battle bones was fair...But I' willing to bet that if you get that Mumm-ra there's no way in hell you'd sell it for $70...I mean you told me you wanted what? $50 or $75 for a loose Pee wee that talked funny I can't imagine what you'd ask for those....

sorry i hope I didn't bust your chops too much but just being honest, I hope it does work out for ya, but you asked for an opinion and I gave it to ya
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                      70's Era Pimp
                      • Sep 7, 2011

^ I don't know if I agree with what you are saying 100%, but i certainly understand your point.

When I buy as a collector, I pay more than I do as a dealer. Of course I am always looking for a deal. Since Den is buying for his own collection, I agree, his offers could be better and he will obtain some nice pieces for his collection.

However, when I buy as a dealer, his point of view is accurate. The listing on Ebay and dealing with shipping and paying the fees....most people don't want to deal with that & if they can get half of what Ebay prices are they will take it. All at once and no hassles. Some people are like yourself and more computer savvy and willing to take the time to make the extra 25% (with the fees taken out). Most aren't.

I don't think his offers were unreasonable. Sure, he can offer more, but why start too high? Haggling is what it's all about.

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
                        ^ I don't know if I agree with what you are saying 100%, but i certainly understand your point.

When I buy as a collector, I pay more than I do as a dealer. Of course I am always looking for a deal. Since Den is buying for his own collection, I agree, his offers could be better and he will obtain some nice pieces for his collection.

However, when I buy as a dealer, his point of view is accurate. The listing on Ebay and dealing with shipping and paying the fees....most people don't want to deal with that & if they can get half of what Ebay prices are they will take it. All at once and no hassles. Some people are like yourself and more computer savvy and willing to take the time to make the extra 25% (with the fees taken out). Most aren't.

I don't think his offers were unreasonable. Sure, he can offer more, but why start too high? Haggling is what it's all about.
                        I totally get where you guys are coming from, I agree everyone wants to get the best deal possible for sure....I just think that using that ebay approach might turn off a lot of sellers.... But that's just me though, by the way if anyone here has a carded Mumm-ra for $35 i'd buy it lol

Comment

• RickD
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 31, 2011

No need to get so technical with buying! eBay has inflated prices heavily especially with AFA graded toys. Make him an offer of what you want to pay and let him counter offer you and see if you can meet in the middle. If not, then walk away.

There is always going to be more out there. The majority of toys were made in such mass quanitity that it eventually will surface again and again.

IMO eBay has ruined the majority of collecting, buying, and reselling anymore.

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by 80stoyman
                            No need to get so technical with buying! eBay has inflated prices heavily especially with AFA graded toys. Make him an offer of what you want to pay and let him counter offer you and see if you can meet in the middle. If not, then walk away.

There is always going to be more out there. The majority of toys were made in such mass quanitity that it eventually will surface again and again.

IMO eBay has ruined the majority of collecting, buying, and reselling anymore.
                            true in a way about ebay...yes the prices have skyrocketed in mainly do to afa...but man I remember the days of no ebay and only toy shows...man it was almost impossible to find some stuff that's now commonly found on ebay everytday

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                              70's Era Pimp
                              • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by toys2cool
                              by the way if anyone here has a carded Mumm-ra for $35 i'd buy it lol

Right? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎