X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Evil Dead/Army of Darkness LOVE Thread

I dedicate this thread to the return of Evil Dead the Musical to Toronto!
    evildeadthemusical.com

I have seen every incarnation of this show (except for the off Broadway production) since it debuted on the lawn of the Tranzan Club the night of the huge blackout a few years years back. It's pretty awesome.

Anyone picked up Jason Versus Freddy Versus Ash from Dynamite Comics?

It's supposedly based on the treatment they had planned for the aborted JvFvA film discussed on the DVD commentary of Jason Versus Freddy.

Which is your favourite film in the trilogy? I'm going to have to go with Evil Dead 2, just because it was the one that broke the mold.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • MegoGeekJr
    Youngest Mego Lover
    • Dec 6, 2005

Originally posted by samurainoir

Anyone picked up Jason Versus Freddy Versus Ash from Dynamite Comics?

Ohhhhhh.................... I have. Its a really good series so far!!!!!!!

It's supposedly based on the treatment they had planned for the aborted JvFvA film discussed on the DVD commentary of Jason Versus Freddy.
    Spoiler Alert!!!!!!
    In the game Evil Dead:Regeneration, bruce Cambell talks about the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash movie saying its partly true!!!!!!!!

And that if there is to be a movie, Bruce will only join if Ash wins!!

Which is your favourite film in the trilogy? I'm going to have to go with Evil Dead 2, just because it was the one that broke the mold.
    Its mine too, only first to the original The Evil Dead
    Last edited by MegoGeekJr; Dec 29, '07, 4:23 PM.
    My heighten mutant sense never lies..........................................This ain't lemonade.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Evil Dead the musical? Now that's something I'd like to see
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Which is your favourite film in the trilogy?

Gotta be Evil Dead-1

It's the only movie in the series that's kind of scary.

2 and 3 are fun, but way too camp.

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

this is like saying which of your kids do you like best. I love em all

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

My friends and I thought we'd "discovered" Evil Dead when we rented Evil Dead 2 when it first came out on video all those years ago. We were constantly renting low-budget horror flicks, and this was one of them. But we loved it, and we began to memorize the dialog and quote it constantly. I was quite shocked to find out other folks knew of it and liked it, and really amazed when "Army of Darkness" actually made it into theaters and a cottage industry emerged.

It wasn't until years later that I saw the first film. It is actually scary and disturbing. I look at 2 and Army of Darkness as a campy reimagining of the first one now. The rape scene with tree in the first one is really unnerving!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

I read the comics,love the films and have the RPG.I am wanting to make an Ash 8" custom in 2008.
              Can't pick one of them as a favorite all the movies are awesome!!!
              Bruce is the KING!!!
              He almost makes me want to buy and wear old spice almost.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

A friend in college LOVED cheap films. He even started a zine (now a website- Exploitation Retrospect | Horror movies, Klaus Kinski, gore flicks, exploitation and drive-in movie reviews) called Exploitation Retrospect. He would get VCR's from the college AV dept and show us his latest finds. Sure enough Evil Dead was one of them and I was always impressed with the results of this movie versus its budget. It was a legitmately scary film.

The camp-loving side was just wow'ed when I saw Evil Dead 2 in the theater. It was the first campy film I saw when it came out. To make it even better, it was one of those theater where people feel free to scream at the theater- things like "Don't go in there," etc. It made the whole thing an experience that just couldn't be surpassed.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I wish I could find photos of myself as Ash at Chiller theatre 15 years ago.

Ravenous fan of the original movies and the musical, which I heartily recommend.

What's interesting about the original Evil Dead is that it inspired Chinese film maker Tsu Hark to make horror films such as "Chinese Ghost Story" and "The Bride with the long white hair". He lifted many of Riami's camera techniques to produce these films.

"Bride" was the major inspiration Tapert and Riami to create "Xena Warrior Princess", many of the scenes from key episodes were directly lifted from Hark's films.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• DocDrako
                    Formerly Doc Drako
                    • Nov 11, 2004

My favorite is Army Of Darkness. It's the first one I saw and I thought it was hilarious. It was the movie that I first saw Bruce Campbell in.

I haven't read the comic, though.

I have read Bruce Campbell's biography, "If Chins Could Kill" and it was great. I recommend it to fans.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      My friends and I thought we'd "discovered" Evil Dead when we rented Evil Dead 2 when it first came out on video all those years ago. We were constantly renting low-budget horror flicks, and this was one of them. But we loved it, and we began to memorize the dialog and quote it constantly. I was quite shocked to find out other folks knew of it and liked it, and really amazed when "Army of Darkness" actually made it into theaters and a cottage industry emerged.

It wasn't until years later that I saw the first film. It is actually scary and disturbing. I look at 2 and Army of Darkness as a campy reimagining of the first one now. The rape scene with tree in the first one is really unnerving!

Chris
                      I agree on every point

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        Pat Troughton in disguise
                        • Nov 21, 2007

Originally posted by DocDrako

I have read Bruce Campbell's biography, "If Chins Could Kill" and it was great. I recommend it to fans.

Agree with that....it's a shame the Brucester has pulled out of "Bubba Nosferatu" as I loved him in "Bubba Ho Tep".
                        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I wasn't a real big fan of the first film; but the second is one of my all time faves; mostly BECAUSE it's so over the top! ("WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!?!?!!?")

I'm kinda surprised Bruce Campbell hasn't been in a LOT more films. For a while I kinda saw him as the new Vincent Price.

Don C.

Comment

• marmes
                            Megolomaniac
                            • May 12, 2007

The first EVIL DEAD film is the most awesome in my opinion because of it's raw creativity and drive, despite it's low budget.

As a professional film and tv editor,I am continually inspired and amazed by the sheer force of THE EVIL DEAD's camerawork and editing...especially from such young guys.

The brilliant "tree rape" scene is a key scene to illustrate this...
                            There is a fine line with editing a piece like that where you could make it seem completely ridiculous and unbelievable if you are'nt careful with the
                            cutting and rhythm.In addition to getting those great atmospheric shots,
                            dutch angles,travelling POV's etc..

Quick cuts,smart use of abstract and evil tree POV interspersed w proper sound fx and music make it seem oddly believeable in the delicate bubble RAIMI/TAPERT create.

If you go back and watch the film now from an aesthetic point of view,you can see EVERY shot is important and in place because it was storyboarded and you can
                            really enjoy the film on a completely new level if you aren't necessarily aware of some these qualities of THE EVIL DEAD already!
                            VIVA!! ENJOY!!

_M
                            Last edited by marmes; Jan 5, '08, 2:35 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I wish I could find photos of myself as Ash at Chiller theatre 15 years ago.

Ravenous fan of the original movies and the musical, which I heartily recommend.

What's interesting about the original Evil Dead is that it inspired Chinese film maker Tsu Hark to make horror films such as "Chinese Ghost Story" and "The Bride with the long white hair". He lifted many of Riami's camera techniques to produce these films.

"Bride" was the major inspiration Tapert and Riami to create "Xena Warrior Princess", many of the scenes from key episodes were directly lifted from Hark's films.
                              I didn't know that! That kind of cross polination makes sense. I was visiting Hong Kong back during the theatrical release of Evil Dead 2 and I recall it was pretty big over there.

The Chinese Ghost Story series is great fun.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎