X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Star Wars: The Scale Model kits

I dont know if you would call these "Classic toys"? These models set came out arround the last re-showing of the classic trilogy. Well I just found a kit I missed from that line and I can tell ya. I didnt miss much. I'm talking about The Death Star scale model kit.
    There is only like 5-6 pieces to it. Its a basketball sliced into pieces with some surface detail to catch a light wash of paint in order to give it that Death Star look. Luckily I got it at a thrift store where you pay by wieght. Talk about skill level 0.
    I had bought most of the other kits from this era and still have a speeder bike trooper staring down at me from atop my Mego display case. But this Death Star model just is a total joke!
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • Megotu
    jerk
    • Dec 16, 2001

What's the scale on he DS model? 3,000,000 to 1?
    sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

For the time period that was released I think they were just going thru the motions as far as Star Wars kits. I think that was an ERTL/MPC kit? Soon after ERTL went under and the SW license was sold to someone else. I bought the 2-Tie fighter kit from that period.

I have heard that model kit Co.'s didn't care much about doing sci-fi kits. Look at the 22" Enterprise cut-a-way kit from around that time. Some detail on the starboard side doesn't match the detail on the port side!

In recent years tho the model kit makers have been run by people who like Star Wars and Sci-Fi subjects. 3 foot long Seaview models w/interiors, (TV and Movie versions), metal Jupiter 2 kits, classic 50's rockets, Martian War Machines, the Fine Molds Falcon kit, classic Trek kits reissued & accurized, all really great kits designed with a fan's eye for detail. Still no Rebel Blockade Runner kit but there's always hope.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>For the time period that was released I think they were just going thru the motions as far as Star Wars kits.

Yeah, I could see that. I got the Death Star for $2 at Zellers back then. (It's where I keep my army beret, so's it won't lose it's shape.) It doesn't have many parts, but it's a HUGE trick to get them to fit together properly.

Don C.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
          • Jan 22, 2008

I just passed on this at value village. Was 7.99 and box was rough. Guess it was a good pass.

Comment

• jimsmegos
            Mego Dork
            • Nov 9, 2008

The Death Star as a model never made much sense to me since it didn't have a cutaway section. It was just a big grey ball with a large dimple. I always enjoyed the model kits as a kid but still cringe when I thing about how much a pain in the posterior the Millennium Falcon was to put together. This side panels wore me out. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter was great though.

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

I remember having the C3PO with light up eyes.
              Darth Vader tie fighter.
              And a couple of the vans with the GITD decals.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎