Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Galactica 1980 will hit DVD!!!!!*GASP*

For real! Not a Joke:

DVD Empire - Item - Galactica 1980 / DVD-Video

10 Thrilling Episodes!!!!

"Galactica 1980 lands on DVD for the first time ever! With all ten thrilling episodes on two discs, see what happens when the original Battlestar Galactica crew finally makes the long-anticipated descent to Earth. With time running out and the Cylons closing in on their trail, Commander Adama and the Galactica must work harder than ever before to help Earth create the technology necessary for battle. Along for the action-packed fight are such stellar guest stars as Dirk Benedict, Brion James, Dennis Haysbert and more! It's an epic adventure unlike any other, and an absolute must-have for any Battlestar Galactica collection! "
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I tried ignoring the ad in yesterday's Best Buy flyer,I really did.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Was Galactica 1980 the series that had an episode where Starbuck is trapped on a planet with a Cylon ? --- kind of a precursor to Enemy Mine.
      I remember liking that one.
      Haven't seen it for 30+ years though.
      My memory might be tainted

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
        Was Galactica 1980 the series that had an episode where Starbuck is trapped on a planet with a Cylon ? --- kind of a precursor to Enemy Mine.
        I remember liking that one.
        Haven't seen it for 30+ years though.
        My memory might be tainted
        YES it was this was the best episode of the show (also the last episode) mostly it was some pretty bad fish out of water stories with Barry van dyke ( dick van ***** son in real life and on diagonosis murder) and kent mccord (much better known as the younger cop on ADAM 12)

Star Trek 4 did the same plot MUCH better. DARN i was actually thinking about listing my VHS copy of return of Starbuck with the whole series burned from TV on ebay.

overall it's really bad but since the recent Tv broadcasts were missing several scenes It will probably sell weel

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

The only thing I remember about Galactica 1980 was them superimposing Cylon ships attacking over footage of Earthquake!

I saw that scene again recently on Sci-fi and was surprised to see some of it was outtake footage (different angles of the crumbling city models then the ones used in the movie)

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
            Banned
            • Oct 17, 2007

i will pick it up just for the BG history. kinda like AfterMASH..lol

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Good Lord!!!! *choke*

Wow. I know ti came out on VHS a while back, but DVD lasts a LOT longer....

They showed this one a few years back on cable and yeah, I watched it. I'm a completist. Haviong seen it recently I gotta say, it's not entirely bad. It's not really GOOD; but at least it 'aint the "Star Wars Holiday Special" or anything. The pilot is decent, the Starbuck episode is alright, even the one where the new Cylon lands on Earth is okay. But they're REALLY typical. You've seen all these episdoes before on other shows.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Oddly enough when it aired I never missed an episode, I didn't even care for the first series at all but 1980 appealed to nine year old me. I don't think I've seen it since but I've come to enjoy the original series as an adult.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Actually,when I was younger,I ignored the entire series. I was more of a Buck Rogers fan. Nowadays,I try to watch any of it when it comes on. Still haven't seen all of Galactica '80 though.

Comment

• Steeler80
                    Mayor of Strunk
                    • Jun 29, 2001

If you can find it cheap, it would be worth it for the Starbuk episode. It was pretty good, certainly the best of the series.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      Actually,when I was younger,I ignored the entire series. I was more of a Buck Rogers fan.
                      I never missed a Buck Rogers as a kid.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                        I never missed a Buck Rogers as a kid.
                        yeah me too! and let's not forget col wilma deering!!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                          Good Lord!!!! *choke*

Wow. I know ti came out on VHS a while back, but DVD lasts a LOT longer....

They showed this one a few years back on cable and yeah, I watched it. I'm a completist. Haviong seen it recently I gotta say, it's not entirely bad. It's not really GOOD; but at least it 'aint the "Star Wars Holiday Special" or anything. The pilot is decent, the Starbuck episode is alright, even the one where the new Cylon lands on Earth is okay. But they're REALLY typical. You've seen all these episdoes before on other shows.

Don C.

the episodes that were compiled to make the VHS releases were the best of the series. I think the first hour of the pilot is good but the 2nd with the time travel was weak I'm glad that wasn't used again

Comment

• garagesale
                            Dept. of Mego Studies
                            • Aug 8, 2006

I notice Galactica 1980 was available on Netflix Watch Instantly (as is the the regular BSG). I really haven't been tempted to look at it at all. I tried watching it on SciFi a few years back and couldn't even get through one episode for nostalgia's sake.

Even when I was a kid, Buck Rogers never grabbed me. By episode 3 I was so ANGRY at its cheesiness (the stock SFX from BSG and other Universal SciFi movies, not to mention the recycled BSG costumes and stuff) that I cut it off and never watched again. At that point, I really drifted away from TV, and never watched a show regularly again until ST TNG showed up!

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by garagesale
                              I notice Galactica 1980 was available on Netflix Watch Instantly (as is the the regular BSG). I really haven't been tempted to look at it at all. I tried watching it on SciFi a few years back and couldn't even get through one episode for nostalgia's sake.

Even when I was a kid, Buck Rogers never grabbed me. By episode 3 I was so ANGRY at its cheesiness (the stock SFX from BSG and other Universal SciFi movies, not to mention the recycled BSG costumes and stuff) that I cut it off and never watched again. At that point, I really drifted away from TV, and never watched a show regularly again until ST TNG showed up!

JamesD
                              The sci fi episodes are even harder to watch (they compressed some for comercials) on the average there are 2-3 minutes missing per episode and often plot twists were lost. I assume the DVD release will restore the shows (not saying this will make them any better) if anyone wants to see this show before you buy it on DVD drop me a line.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎