X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Ready Player One

Anybody here read the book "Ready Player One"? Its a SF book set about 30 years in the future, but the main point of the book is 1980s nostalgia: fashion, movies, music, tv-show and especially video games. It even mentions Star Wars action figures. If your into retro gaming, you really should give this book a try.

The plot is that a rich, insane game developer dies, and has a massive quest to inherent his fortune. However, since the developer was a teenager in the 80s and was obsessed with the 80s his whole life, all the clues and action revolves around 80s trivia and playing 80s video games.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the audio book (read by Wil Wheaton) and am really enjoying it.
    sigpic LaserMego
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

This sounds like its right up my alley. I may have to look around for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

• Jordiway
      Museum Super Collector
      • Aug 17, 2007

So far this book is a modern day "Catcher in the Rye"

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

I finished the book and really liked it. The author tends to have long lists of product name-dropping that can be a little tiresome since it seems to be there just to evoke the I've-heard-of-that reaction. But overall its a fun read and you can tell the author is "one of us"!

I've found it interesting that most of the people on the Museum are now of the age were all the modern nostalgia stuff is aimed squarely at us.
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• boynightwing
          That Carl Guy
          • Apr 24, 2002

Sounds like a great book! I'll check it out!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎