X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Eagle One Gun

Here we have the rather odd AHI Eagle one water pistol, it looks kind of ill advised but you have to remember that AHI probably sold a boatload of these so they just applied the Star Trek template to Space:1999 when it came to all merch.

What I really enjoy about 1999 merchandising is the amount of face time actor Barry Morse gets on most of the packaging. Mostly because my grandfather could have been his stunt double, it's kind of eery. Even as a kid I'd think "why is my grandfather on the box?" My love for Space:1999 is also what drew me into toy collecting some 25 years ago, so it's sort of responsible for what I'm doing right now.

BTW, not slagging Barry Morse at all here. I was lucky enough to bump into him on the streets of Toronto many years ago and he was a very kind gentleman, possibly my favourite celebrity encounter.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

Funny you should mention.., he was SUCH a cool gentlemen to talk to.. I sat down and conversed with him for an extended period of time at his last conference appearance down in Tampa.

What a wonderful person to meet..!! He made the 1st year distinquished and so very memorable.
    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• David Lee
      The Fix-it-up Chappie
      • Jun 10, 2002

Definition of SCHLOCK : of low quality or value
      — schlock noun

Yet the undoubtedly remarkable amount of these sold, mostly after begging and crying in the check out lane, is a testament to it’s intrinsic value. Admittedly I look at this now and think this just wouldn't fly these days... I mean that artwork is somewhere between a ransom note, replete with cutout Polaroid pictures, and a Punk band poster made at kinkos... But in the end that's what make is great.

-Dave

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by David Lee
        — schlock noun

Yet the undoubtedly remarkable amount of these sold, mostly after begging and crying in the check out lane, is a testament to it’s intrinsic value. Admittedly I look at this now and think this just wouldn't fly these days... I mean that artwork is somewhere between a ransom note, replete with cutout Polaroid pictures, and a Punk band poster made at kinkos... But in the end that's what make is great.

-Dave
        Agreed, a lot of it wouldn't fly, but like you know, it's ALL we had back in the day...

Jeez the virtue of me watching this show back then with good reception and in color was incredible, much less now re-digitized, surround-sound on my 50" flat-screen whenever I want.
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
          70's Era Pimp
          • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by David Lee
          — schlock noun

-Dave
          Ya said it all Dave. Supercalifragalisticexpealidocious (when there's really nothing more to say, I hear you are supposed to say this)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎