Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep mold rubber from sticking to sculpt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timb
    Will Draw for Toys
    • May 1, 2009

Keep mold rubber from sticking to sculpt?

Hey guys, HELP!
    I just remolded a head I had done before. One problem I'm having when I go to demold, is that the rubber wants to stick in the nooks and crannies detail in the face?

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a non-stick something I could paint or apply to the head before I make a mold? Or should I have waited longer to demold?
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by timb
    Hey guys, HELP!
    I just remolded a head I had done before. One problem I'm having when I go to demold, is that the rubber wants to stick in the nooks and crannies detail in the face?

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a non-stick something I could paint or apply to the head before I make a mold? Or should I have waited longer to demold?
    Hey Tim,

How long did you let the mold set before trying to demold it? Chances are you might have not let it set long enough if it is sticking to your original. Generally the mold material does not and will not stick to most items. If the mold material was sticky then the odds were good that it was not done curing yet.

Depending on what product you are using for mold making (each one varies to some degree) I usually let mine set at least 24 hours before demolding just as a precaution. I to was anxious and done the same thing you did before earlier on in my experiments trying to demold too fast. I have since learned to chill and let the mold material do it's job for the best out come.

You could also use vaseline on the original to keep anything from sticking to it. However, The use of Vaseline is best suited for keeping the mold rubber from sticking to itself when pouring two part molds. I hope all of this jargon makes since to you.

I hope this helps. Any more questions just PM me.
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• timb
      Will Draw for Toys
      • May 1, 2009

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind as well.
      I thought I had waited long enough, but I probably didn't. Maybe I'll try giving this another shot and let it cure longer.
      Thanks!

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

I think there's a mold release spray. Can't recall the name though. You can purchase it probably at the same place you purchased your RTV
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• livnxxxl
          Megoholic RocketScientist
          • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by jessica
          I think there's a mold release spray. Can't recall the name though. You can purchase it probably at the same place you purchased your RTV
          There is. The stuff I buy comes with small bottles of liquid that you pour on. I never use it. Therefore, I have accumulated a bunch of it.

Tim- Give me a shout if you think that you may need some.
          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
            Type3Toys Has Transformed
            • Oct 5, 2011

If you are using a silicone rubber, you dont need a mold release. What mold material are you using? How old are the molds?
            View My Customs
            www.type3toys.com
            or check here
            http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
              Formerly known as Del
              • Dec 12, 2004

If you're using latex, a coat of baby power on the original works nicely to prevent sticking. I've been using the brush-on stuff from the craft store for years, and that's what I always do. I dust the outside of the mold before removing the cast too. It helps keep the mold from sticking to itself. I haven't had a chance to order silicone, but that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting some - no mold release and it ages better.
              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>If you are using a silicone rubber, you dont need a mold release.

True.... unless you're using a fibrous material like Das. I use GI1000 silicone: doesn't stick to most things, and I get it with a longer pot life.... it takes about 30 hours to set. That way I get fewer air bubbles. If it's sticking, you can get spray-on mold release agents from any mold material supplier. You can use brushed on Vaseline too.

So.... what are you using for the molds?

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎