Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like facial expressions on Action Figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Do you like facial expressions on Action Figures?

I am really suprised i seem to be such a minority in this. I'm tired of the "Waiting for the Bus" face. I think it's the only thing holding me back on the Twilight Zone figures.
    What do you think? What do you prefer to Buy/Make?

• thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Always loved Kirk's smirk. I don't mind facial expressions on headsculpts, well except the Famous Covers screaming guys.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

I like expressions if it's character appropriate. A smirk on Guy Gardner, Kirk, or Han Solo is fine, but not on Superman, Spock, or Obi Wan. And I don't like the screaming thing either.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• livnxxxl
        Megoholic RocketScientist
        • Oct 23, 2007

I like expressions on the faces vs. the same ho hum boring look all of the time. Even though I do like the original sculpts and am pretty happy with them I am working on spicing them up a bit by adding my own custom expressions.

I am mainly doing this for a series that I will be working on in the future. Just for fun! I was inspired after watching some really cool Star Trek Mego fan made movies on YouTube.
        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• jimsmegos
          Mego Dork
          • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          I like expressions if it's character appropriate. A smirk on Guy Gardner, Kirk, or Han Solo is fine, but not on Superman, Spock, or Obi Wan. And I don't like the screaming thing either.
          Agreed

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            I'll make this three, all in favor raise your hands.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I think it depends on the character. I'm always after the best representation of any given character, and for some that requires some sort of emotional expression. Screaming Superman? Meh. Screaming Hulk? Perfectly fine. (The one downfall of the Mego 12" Hulk is his slightly perturbed expresstion. "Grrr! 'House' is rerun today!!!!")

Don C.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

I actually appreciate the "Waiting for the Bus" expression.

I read that baby dolls and stuffed animals often have neutral expressions so young children can project the emotions onto the toy. I think the same concept applies here. It increases play possibilities (which is a good thing for a toy).

The "Kirk smirk" is a brilliant bit of sculpting. If you want Kirk to be happy, it is clearly a smirk. But the expression can also come off as serious, or determined, or empathetic... there is a lot of room for interpretation there.

By contrast, figures with smiles are the worst. A smile is seldom the appropriate expression for fighting bad guys and saving the day. And there is no room for interpretation.

And just to be clear... even though I may not get down on the carpet and play with my Megos as much as I used to... I still think a successful toy should work "as a toy".

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

I don't usually like expressions on the sculpts, but after seeing Arnie Lee's several iterations of Bruce Lee, I can't help but love it. Of course, they are all quite subtle. Subtlety is what works best.
                  Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                  Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                  1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                  1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• hawkmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2003

I Like An Expression Other Than The Blank Expression Most Figures Have.
                    wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

You got to be careful. You don't want to wind up with someone with The Thing's expression.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Expressions have to be done with care, even when their character appropriate. Take Shazam for instance. Look at the fallout that came from that initial prototype. Smaller figures will typically have less of a register on the face, simply because it's easier to please a broader base that way. Getting an expression to look "just right" can be much more subjective since everyone has their own ideas about what makes that character work.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
                          Expressions have to be done with care, even when their character appropriate. Take Shazam for instance. Look at the fallout that came from that initial prototype. Smaller figures will typically have less of a register on the face, simply because it's easier to please a broader base that way. Getting an expression to look "just right" can be much more subjective since everyone has their own ideas about what makes that character work.
                          That had more to do with the paint than the sculpt. The sculpt never changed from proto to production, well except for a slight neck shortening.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Loved the Big Red Cheese headsculpt, suited the character and captured Beck's artwork perfectly.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

NO FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!!! My vote is for the kind of head sculpts done for the Hasbro 9" DC Heroes line! PERFECT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎