X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Toys of Christmas past.

We have Cable with this "Music Choice" feature. While not watching programs, I switch it on for Mom while she reads. While the Christmas tunes play they Bump data of Christmas interest. A few of these point out major toy sells of past Christmas. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of some of these factiods. But it would be fun to see a factual list of Top Selling toys of Christmas list from the first year that such data was recorded till today. This might even make a good book (Cough Cough Brian). Can we determine any mindset of these years by using the toys as some kind of barometer???

Here is some of the data displayed in no particular order....

Notes the Mickey and Minnie mouse Hankerchief as a top seller for Christmas. (Boys & Girls were more Hygenic back then)

1977's Christmas toy was "Slime" (Times change)

1945 Christmas belonged to "Slinky" (and they shall beat thier swords into... Toys)

1981 "Smurf's" Showed the top Christmas sales. (Ah the power of Saturday cartoons)

1985's Big Holiday toy was "CareBears" (We were becoming Kinder & Gentler?)

1993's Big Christmas item was "Barney" the purple dinosaur. (PBS must have been pleased)

1998 We all needed a "Furbie" to make Christmas complete. (Were'nt these little guys advertised to have some form of AI)

1999's Christmas was owned by "Pokemon" (Gotta catch 'em all!!! Not really)

2007's the Apple iTouch was at the top of the Christmas list. (Was this considered a toy??? Oh well.)

2008 Reports the top Christmas toy was "Elmo Live" (Again, a comercial success from a comercial free network)

I'm sure there are more toy Factiods out there regarding what was the "IT" toys or top toys of Christmas pasts. I would think the Atari 2600 was in there somewhere. I Google'd several different ways but have yet to find any lists of the top sell ing toys of Christmas thru the years.
    Last edited by ddgaff1132; Dec 5, '11, 1:21 PM.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎