X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

LUCHADORES-Mexican Wrestling Movies

Of all the Childhood memories that brings back a rush of Happiness and still for me brings me great joy was seeing Los Luchadores or Mexican Wrestling movies a staple in my childhood. We had a Local movie theatre called Rio Piedras that showed spanish and English movies on saturdays or Sundays every week My Mom and Dad took us to the movies where we would see all the latest and Classics from the Spanish Cinema......My Greatest time was of course when my Parents took me to see Mexican wrestling Movies.

El Santo,Blue Demon,Mil Mascaras,Tinieblas,El Rayo de Jalisco,El Medico Asesino El fantasma Blanco and Superzan were a part of my Childhood and early teens.

Especially the first Three El Santo Blue demon and Mil Mascaras. I thrilled to their adventures and many movies often fighting Mummies Aliens from outer space,Vampires,The Wolfman and all Kind of weird Monsters. For me they were real cause unlike many movie stars these guys when I was a kid never took off their masks and never got out of Character.

As a Kid I would put the old style face masks on take off my shirt tie a towel around my neck and I was instantly a Luchador ahhh the memories

My Uncle and Aunt were comic Collectors and Had the Santo comics and I couldn't get enough of it.

I would see them on Spanish Tv wrestling on Lucha Libre and I even got to see my Idol Mil Mascaras wrestle at Madison Square Garden.

The movies were cheaply done but I never cared I loved it and soaked it all up.....

As an Adult I would still see them from time to time on Galavision they use to give them on Sunday afternoons now I collect them on Dvd and eat it all up and the movies have never lost their charm.

Late night American television would show them from time to time often badly dubbed..This is also why I miss Classic latenight TV......

Footnote... the Movie theatre Rio Piedras can be seen in the Movies the french Connection and Ghost the Theatre was owned at one time by Loews and was known as the Loews Broadway theatre....in the 90's it was abandoned and vacant it was finally torn down in the late 90's and today it's just a vacant lot in my old Neighborhood.
    Last edited by kingdom warrior; May 22, '07, 8:42 PM.
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Are they science fiction, or are they superhero movies?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Ant they can be both Most of these movies themes were Sci-fi and Horror the Luchadores were considered Superheroes...The movie producers who made these films realised early that they had a fan base that spanned both young and old Male and female so it was common that many themes were thrown in to keep all fans happy many of these movies have Songs, Romance,Horror Sci-Fi....
      Last edited by kingdom warrior; May 22, '07, 8:47 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ABMAC
        Are they science fiction, or are they superhero movies?
        Oh man is that tough to answer, they seem to cross every genre. I've seen Santo fight aliens, then a wolfman, then go and be a secret agent. Santo seems to be playing himself, so I don't know if it classifies as Superhero.

SuperArgo (my fave) is a superhuman secret agent who has sf adventures.

All the good SF cliches prevail in these things, I have an appreciation for them, something no one else in my house hold does.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Aaaak!!!! I forgot SuperArgo I should kick myself for that one that's also a fave Italian made movies that have a Bond theme to it!....I have both his movies On video and I did make my own custom of him
          Superargo trailers-
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by kingdom warrior; May 22, '07, 9:16 PM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
            Oh man is that tough to answer, they seem to cross every genre. I've seen Santo fight aliens, then a wolfman, then go and be a secret agent. Santo seems to be playing himself, so I don't know if it classifies as Superhero.

SuperArgo (my fave) is a superhuman secret agent who has sf adventures.

All the good SF cliches prevail in these things, I have an appreciation for them, something no one else in my house hold does.
            They Qualify as SuperHeroes in latin Culture that's how we saw them I'm sure Hector can also relate to these movies... have you seen his avatar lol!

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Only thing I've ever seen was that nod they did to the genre on the tv series Angel. The janitor that worked for the lawfirm use to be one. Had done a episode in the style.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

You ought to check out Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, too. The Son of God teams up with Santos in it to fight the undead!!!
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                  Aaaak!!!! I forgot SuperArgo I should kick myself for that one that's also a fave Italian made movies that have a Bond theme to it!....I have both his movies On video and I did make my own custom of him
                  The SuperArgo poster has hung in any place I've lived for the last 15 years, it's my good luck charm. May I see your custom? It's something I've never gotten around to doing.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Here it is.... I posted this a long while back.....I also have a 12 version that I haven't finished yet he's nekked LOL!

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Neat! I think I might have to style bite and make my own, Diabolocus too...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

LOL! If you ever get around to doing Diabolocus I may Style bite myself I've been racking my brains in how to do Diabolocus and also the Faceless Giants.....also Superargo had two different type of Masks I still would like to take a shot at the First movie version.

I always loved SuperArgo shame it never caught on here...it would have actually made for a Better Tv adventure series than a Big screen movie.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Here's wikipedias entry on El Santo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Santo

Comment

• LadyZod
                            Superman's Gal Pal
                            • Jan 27, 2007

I loved the old Santo films on Sunday afternoons on Univision!

One part James Bond, one part Wrestling, one part Sci Fi.

I picked up a box set of the films in english at Best Buy about a year or so ago. Worth the price if you're looking to recapture some of that childhood fun.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                            Check out my art:
                            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by LadyZod
                              I loved the old Santo films on Sunday afternoons on Univision!

One part James Bond, one part Wrestling, one part Sci Fi.

I picked up a box set of the films in english at Best Buy about a year or so ago. Worth the price if you're looking to recapture some of that childhood fun.
                              Really at best buy? I didn't know lol.....are the movies dubbed in english or are they in Spanish with english subtitles?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎