X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Thrift Store Archeology???

Hitting the Thrift Store for the past decade or so has lead me to note several trends for my area when it comes to Classic toy. The overal supposition is that the older toys I find are dug out from the elderly's house's by dis-interested partys. Many people have moved out of state for economic reasons leaving thier elders.

Firstly. I've been finding a lot of Johnny West items accessories and horses. This makes it easy to note that Marx was well distributed in the Pittsburgh area. The horses go unnoted by most due to the difficult to see trademark and due to the ammount of modern Barbie Horses. (Back in the day these might have been purchased for Babs use.) Personally I remember purchasing a reduced J.West and Sam Cobra at K-mart with Christmas gift funds.

Secondly is Mego (Yeah!!!) I am up to 4 finds. Three have been in the last year alone. AJ, Fonzie, Supes and a soldier ape. These finds also show that Mego was well distributed in this area. Lucky for me other shoppers must not have recognized them or even knew of the history. Fonzie was found wearing a smaller vest from a Johnny West charactor. (Note first.)

Third would be Classic He-Man. A good amount have been found. I think the reproductions have calmed the "thrift scavenger". (Even I would rather use one to for a custom Mego.) I consider the 80-90's as the "Mass Production/distribution era's" and dont think much of toys of these times as classic.

As far as GI Joe goes. I can relate that the line was popular in the Pittsburgh area but I think its collectabilty is too well know even to the non-collector. In the past I have had one score of old Joe items at a flea market. Three foot lockers full of stuff. Including Johnny West items (See again first issue). The seller really hardballed the sell. Lucky for me. He considered the J.West stuff as a draw-back (He didnt know who it was). In this case, seller was a relative selling off his deceased uncles estate.

Bab's items. Yet again I'd have to admit this is a big seller in the area and overly noted as market collectable. Every female child I knew had a Barbie. But the thrifts reveal little of the classic's.

I have seen a few other rare classics. Gabriel Tonto. Mattle Big Jim. Bionic Woman/ SMDM. But compared to other classic toy lines, these are so few.

Finally. I have found NO classic Star Wars toys!!! EVER!!! I cant report that these too were big sellers and well stock in this area back then. I think due to the almost constant noterity of the franchise since the 70's. Even the non-collector consider these valuable. The more modern Star Wars toys flood the bins though.

There you go. Take into account all the variables and you can see what was well marketed in my area during the 70-80's.
    Last edited by ddgaff1132; Nov 28, '11, 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • toiletmonkey
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 28, 2010

Thrift Store Archeology i love that term. mind if i use it ?
    Think of what you want to be...Then call on me.
    -Action Jackson

Comment

• BOTZWANA
      spam
      • May 28, 2009

Well I live in Mexico. I have found 3 Star Wars here and one Mego. The lion....

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

I love the term too.
        I LOVE sociology!!!!!!

In the 80's we had a lot of goodies here in Cincinnatti because of the Kenner Manufacturing plant was still operating.
        I passed up a loose ig-88 12" once in a flea market.

Your post gives me some weird ideas. I know people travel JUST for antique hunting . Maybe I could try it at thrift stores. Marx playsets and statues are hard to reconize so if they were at a Thriftstore I think I might have a chance at getting some./

Comment

• biotrontim
          • Mar 24, 2011

Cincinnati Has a great Thrift Stores! I have found Vintage Star Wars, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Transformers... the list goes on and on. Gi-joe, Megos and Big Jim all mixed in with the Barbies. I have found Kenner prototype and Employee Items. you Gotta get in good with the employees. I go with my 4 year old and YES I use his cute smile to help persuade the laddies to check in the back for key Items.

Comment

• Den82
            Career Member
            • Jan 17, 2011

There is a Goodwill near me, a Salvation Army that is very poorly run, smelly and makes you want to shower after you leave. Two "Savers", two really big department store size thrift stores and a ton of small thrift/junk/rummage shops, mostly owned by fly-by-night types who're always changing locations.

I hardly go to any of them anymore. The Goodwill has absolutely NO toys, especially action figure type stuff (told me they don't accept them most of the time) and I got turned off from them when I saw those 1980's Smurf PVC's in their glass case for $10 each (the manager is a clueless little troll woman).

One of the big department store-sized ones are moronic with their prices, like $15.99 to $19.99 for Nintendo NES games (even sports games you cannot even pay people to take). It's like their logic is "OK, it's $20 on eBay, so we'll mark it $200).

The best score at any of these type of places was a Star Wars vinyl carrying case with 100% complete Star Wars, 1982 GI Joe, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors and some other things. All beautiful condition for $10.00. But now that guy is "getting hip" to things and holding off on selling stupid crap like handheld Pac-Man games because he wants to "look it up" first. Aside from that, I cannot think of anything worth mentioning.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
              70's Era Pimp
              • Sep 7, 2011

Thrift Store Archaeology is an amazing profession. Profile updated to note my new profession!

Regarding your statement, in the Wisconsin area it's getting harder and harder to find anything terribly good. Honestly Den82 called it. Goodwill is a waste of time. However, I do find that if I hit the rural thrift stores & small town St. Vincent DePaul's in the area, I can actually find things.

Quite a few thrift stores now have an "expert" who jacks up the price (unless it's an item they are buying of course). Goodwill just puts their good stuff on their own Ebay auction house.

I so seldom find Mego around here it's not even funny. Finding this board has been an exhilarating experience, because I can actually get stuff for my collection!

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                70's Era Pimp
                • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by biotrontim
                Cincinnati Has a great Thrift Stores! I have found Vintage Star Wars, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Transformers... the list goes on and on. Gi-joe, Megos and Big Jim all mixed in with the Barbies. I have found Kenner prototype and Employee Items. you Gotta get in good with the employees. I go with my 4 year old and YES I use his cute smile to help persuade the laddies to check in the back for key Items.
                Moving to Cinci!!

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                  Career Member
                  • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by biotrontim
                  Any of Kenners monster stuff? Either the 12 inch figures or action masters (like army men). I'm really into the universal monsters they did and actively seeking any oddities or paperwork etc from the line. Love to see what you have.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                    Persistent Member
                    • Oct 3, 2007

Like real Archeologist. Who determine much of a past society by digging thru its trash or reminants. I have determined some sales and popularity of classic toys in my area. Like I said in the start of this thread. If I still find Johnny West stuff to this day. It must have been a big seller in my area in the past. If you look at what old toys you see the most at your thrift stores. Its telling you of that toys distribution and sales power for your area. Get it???
                    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

I haven't done the thrift store thing in a long time. But the one I used to frequent really didn't have much. Once in a blue moon I'd see something cool, but that was really rare.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Rallygirl
                        Kitsch rules!
                        • May 31, 2008

There are two thrift stores near me that regularly have piles of old board games that are complete, which is rare in thrift store games. I don't know what makes these two stores different from all the rest.

Yesterday, I popped in and bought a stack of games including a 1967 Uncle Wiggily. I always check out the entire box, and underneath the 1967 cardboard box insert were most of the pieces to a 1937 Uncle Wiggly game! I think that was a fabulous $2.00 find. I wonder how many people passed it up before I looked under that cardboard? Archeology? You bet, I just had to dig a little!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎