X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Large size Boba Fett comes back home

This one is a really special addition to my collection for me, and I'm gonna have to add a story too, so bear with me. 32 years ago, in December 1979, I got a large size Boba Fett for my birthday from my grandparents. I was absolutely thrilled. I remember gazing longingly at the figure in Robinson's (old, now defunct department store chain in Canada), so wishing I could buy him, but the $24.99 price tag put him hopelessly out of reach. Luckily my grandmother found out from my mom that I really wanted him, so she picked him up for me for my birthday. I was 12 years old, in grade seven, but dammit I wasn't ready to outgrow toys yet. He was the first of only two large size SW figures I owned back then (no other kids I knew even had any), and I took him everywhere. Even when we went on a family vacation to Jamaica, I packed him in my suitcase, along with my Ace and Gene KISS dolls (I remember a very bemused Jamaican Customs officer examining my suitcase ).

Anyway, in my teenage years I kept him packed away in my closet, box and all, with my KISS dolls, Shogun Warriors and the rest of the toys I kept (I was older now and too "cool" for toys but I couldn't part with them). I was surprised to find out in late 1980's Star Wars price guides that he had become valuable, but I had no intention of selling him. But finally, in 1995, my cousin made me an offer I couldn't refuse (he coveted that figure for years, but I would never sell or trade him). So I shipped him off and tried to forget about him, I didn't have much money at the time, so the cash came in handy.

In my sporadic contact with my cousin since then, he was always sure to tell me that he still had the figure and the only time he would consider selling it was back to me, to keep it in the family, which I thought was touching. I'd always meant to buy it back but kept putting it off. But recently he contacted me to make me a deal. I had gotten a set of old monster trading cards from the 1960's from him around 20 years ago in a trade deal (we always did trades since we were kids). They were actually his father's cards originally, who was recently inquiring about them. He was hoping I still had them, and luckily I did, so we worked out a deal. So, I'm happy my uncle can see his childhood monster cards again, and I can have an old childhood friend back in my collection after an absence of 16 years or so (and it means even more to me now because my grandparents have since passed away). Thanks cuz!

Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 14, '11, 12:45 AM.
  • vulcan2074
    Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

That is such a great story. Congrats for getting him back. Your very lucky to have him back in your collection.
    Sammy

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

Hey that's a neat story!!
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Tothiro
        Kitten Mittens
        • Aug 28, 2008

That's awesome dude.

Comment

• Jason73
          Correctamundo!
          • Jan 11, 2009

Glad to hear of the safe return. Your 12 inch vintage Star Wars figs look great displayed.
          Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Den82
            Career Member
            • Jan 17, 2011

$25 in '79?

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

very nice, chris. always good to have an old friend return.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Terrific story.
                Boba comes home, indeed...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

I love stories like that. Welcome home Boba Fett!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kennermike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 4, 2007

Now thats a great Story Chris ! thats what Vintage toy collecting is all about Bro!

Comment

• boss
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 18, 2003

my heart grew three sizes this day.

nice story.
                      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

NICE!!!
                        Robinsons. I recall that store. They were all over L.A. then May Co. bought them out. I think Macy's bought out May Co.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. My cousin is a great guy. He's been a collector for years and his collection constantly changes as he buys, sells and trades, but this is one thing he always held on to, just in case I wanted it back.

Originally posted by Den82
                          $25 in '79?
                          At Robinsons in Canada, yes, I distinctly remember that price. The store wasn't the cheapest place to buy toys, but it's the only place I remember seeing this figure for sale at retail. The other large figures were $19.99 there (but were somewhat less at other Canadian stores, I remember paying $15.99 for a large Chewie at Zellers) but I guess they considered Fett a deluxe figure so they charged five bucks more. Perhaps his wholesale price was higher, that's why?
                          Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 14, '11, 6:21 PM.

Comment

• mightyquinn
                            Proud to be a Nerd
                            • Aug 4, 2009

Great story! It's like Andy and Woody from Toy Story. 12" Fett was one of my favorites as a kid too.
                            Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

What a cool story. Welcome home Boba.
                              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎