X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreddbatfan
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 3, 2008

Question about gloved hands

I noticed that some customs have gloved hands where the material that they used goes to the wrist and it looks like it's either glued or shrunk to make it look more like a glove.Of course the hand is painted to match the rest of the glove.I know I've seen several customs in the finish customs section but I can't remember who they were.My question is what material do you use for the glove part and how do you achieve that folded in(or glued)look to make it look like a real glove?Thanks a million to everyone for your help and I hope someone who has done these type of gloves can help me.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I use vinyl or thin leather like stuff to do it, SUperglued in place above the joint to hide it so it all looks like one piece. To get the wrinkled look I just pull it tight as I glue it down. You can kind of see it on the Flash in this pic, the seam still shows, usually a couple more coats of paint will take care of that.

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

On Animal Man I used cheap black rubber gloves from Dollar Tree.

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

fantastic customs

Comment

• dreddbatfan
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 3, 2008

Thunderbolt,
          What type of vinyl is good for the gloves?

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I use beach balls, the multicolored ones usually have all the colors I need. Animal man has thin rubber kitchen gloves for the material. experiment with patterns till you get one that wraps around the wrist and forearm. Its shaped like a triangle with the top point cut off. you can tape a good patternd down to the vinyl and cut it out.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I'm in awe of your skills.

Comment

• dreddbatfan
                Museum Super Collector
                • Oct 3, 2008

Thunderbolt,
                I got the kitchen gloves in the color that I need and I'm going to try your tip.I do have a quick question.After I get the desired shape,I want them to look like a pair of Captain America gloves with the flare and the slit in them-how do I get this look?Thanks for everyones suggestions,keep them coming.

Danny

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

just don't glue the bottom of the glove together all the way back, I did it on Thunderbolt up there. I'll find a better pic of it.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

both of these are in the style you want, hope it helps

Comment

• dreddbatfan
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Oct 3, 2008

Thunderbolt,
                      It does help a great deal.Any chance of seeing a picture of what the gloves look like in the back.I'll take pictures of them when I'm done,thanks.

Danny

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

I'll take a pic of Aquaman to post.

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          I use vinyl or thin leather like stuff to do it, SUperglued in place above the joint to hide it so it all looks like one piece. To get the wrinkled look I just pull it tight as I glue it down. You can kind of see it on the Flash in this pic, the seam still shows, usually a couple more coats of paint will take care of that.
                          Thunderbolt, I love that slight wrinkle in the Flash gloves. It gives the glove/gauntlet a realistic look. Thx for posting. I'm going to give it a try.
                          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Thunderbolt, what type of glue do you use on the vinyl?

thanks

By the way, I love your take on all the characters. DC should have called you to help redesign the characters for the relaunch.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I use superglue gel usually, it doesn't run all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎