Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Pop Sculpture" Anybody read this customizing book?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

"Pop Sculpture" Anybody read this customizing book?

Amazon.com: Pop Sculpture: How to Create Action Figures and Collectible Statues (9780823095223): Tim Bruckner, Ruben Procopio, Zach Oat: Books

Pop Sculpture creating action figures.
    If you've read it, is it informative Molding tips etc? Is it a good book?
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

I've got this, but wasn't really thrilled. Ill have to try it again. I didn't find it to be very user friendly. I'd love to find the perfect modeling sculpey and tools for making heads. This book isn't the tutorial I thought it would be.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

I'm mostly hoping for help making smaller 3 3/4" type figures myself. Materials ,paint, & design. Designing joints.

Comment

• hawkmike
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2003

i enjoyed it quite abit, didn't get much help on the mego side but found it worth the price and the read,
        wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• Tothiro
          Kitten Mittens
          • Aug 28, 2008

The author is a buddy, but to my embarrassment I haven't picked it up to read yet.

Before I changed sculpting mediums I found this Super Sculpey toot very helpful:
          Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed! - ConceptArt.org Forums

Comment

• HumanWolfman
            Type3Toys Has Transformed
            • Oct 5, 2011

Interesting. Zack Oat, former publisher of ToyFair Mag, was one of the authors.
            View My Customs
            www.type3toys.com
            or check here
            http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

I got it. It's a pretty good book. It walks through two projects: buliding a statue and building an action figure. It has some practical tips that you may find helpful, and some "working in the biz" stuff that is interesting... but it is also just a fun book to flip through and admire the work.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

I thought this book was great. I certainly learned a lot.

It's not a customizing book however.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I have the book, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Tim Bruckner :: Sculptor
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• timb
                    Will Draw for Toys
                    • May 1, 2009

I have it and found it's definitely not for beginners. Very impressive book though.

Comment

• TrueDave
                      Toy Maker
                      • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                      building an action figure.
                      What type of figure? I'm a sculptor not an engineer! Making simple 70's 3 3/4" 5 point articulation is all I'm asking for right now. (re: classic Star Wars)

Comment

• Tothiro
                        Kitten Mittens
                        • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by HumanWolfman
                        Interesting. Zack Oat, former publisher of ToyFair Mag, was one of the authors.
                        Just a correction - Oat was Editor at ToyFare, which was published by Wizard, owned in turn by Gareb Shamus Enterprises.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TrueDave
                          What type of figure? I'm a sculptor not an engineer! Making simple 70's 3 3/4" 5 point articulation is all I'm asking for right now. (re: classic Star Wars)
                          The example used in the book is an action figure of the Greek god Thor. I don't know if it ever explicitly mentioned scale, but it would be bigger... perhaps 12"... and it has 15 points of articulation. However, the example is used to highlight all the different types of articulation points, etc. so everything should be applicable to other styles and scales.

Dave, knowing the various projects you have going, and your roots on the artistic side of the house, I really think this book would be right up your alley.

Comment

• TrueDave
                            Toy Maker
                            • Jan 12, 2008

BAM!
                            I ordered it from the library and my wife had to tell me to calmdown a bit when we went to pick it up.
                            I want to TEACH this book. Serioulsy. Safety wise I'm concerned about an age limit, and i havent taught adults much.
                            I'm reading slowly. Inly a few chapters so far but I've studied the pictures and realized the thing that has been holding me back so far is actually the first moldmaking technigue I learned. The lost wax casting method.
                            I'm looking forward to seeing the artists get around all those snags with flowvents.
                            When we did lost wax be beat the solid plaster mold to powder with sledge hammers then had to grind all the gates off. Thats why it was called "Lost", the mold is lost.
                            I hope the molds in the book aren't one time use!

It is advanced. I'm surprised and happy .

I'm pretty clueless right now what/who to make when I'm done.

Thank s guys.

Comment

• TrueDave
                              Toy Maker
                              • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                              The example used in the book is an action figure of the Greek god Thor. I don't know if it ever explicitly mentioned scale, but it would be bigger... perhaps 12"... and it has 15 points of articulation. However, the example is used to highlight all the different types of articulation points, etc. so everything should be applicable to other styles and scales.

Dave, knowing the various projects you have going, and your roots on the artistic side of the house, I really think this book would be right up your alley.
                              That's very kind. Thank you man.

SO far I'm wondering about pop on heads like the new Star Wars and Joe.
                              Flexibility and getting paints to adhere are big concerns.
                              Yeah I see the end result of Thor buts thats an industrial prototype. I'd like to make "real" action figures.

I'm really glad to see the statue part of the book. I'm also going to learn how to make Garage Kits!

I think being able to cast & articulate ANY shape will eventually help me in my quest to learn how to do cable control puppets too.

No mention of Hydrospan type materials yet .
                              I hope the book explains Prototype shrinking and enlarging.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎