X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Sparkling Super Monsters

This past summer I encountered something I didn't know existed and yet I could not live without, it's a bit of rack toy joy. Much more after the jump:

It's an unused display box of AHI wind up little walkers and while it's obvious these (a) aren't manufactured by AHI and (b) not licensed, they still use the original name which is knock off gold. I would assume that these were produced in 1980s sometime.

What I really like about these is how many people had em as kids. I have non toy collector friends who freak out when they see this display.

The assortment is heavy on the Creature and light on King Kong, which is odd because I never find the Creature in the wild.

The big tells in these and the original AHI ones are the key and the feet, you can see more at Azrakhamway.com

Stay Tuned for more Halloween Goodness today
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • sauce
    Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

Hoooooooooowheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I have one of the later Creature ones. Cute figure and still sparks.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

They used to have these as prizes in the arcade at the United Sakes of America Roller Rink. I've still got mine and just recently found two robot ones of the same size. Just like the monsters, they spark when you wind them too. Here are the robot ones in with my Mattel Space toys...the blue guy to the left of Vincent and the orange guy to the right with the bug eyes. What really would have been cool is if the sparks came out of their chest instead of their mouths.

Last edited by spacecaps; Oct 31, '11, 12:44 AM.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

I found out about these guys in the very early 80's (was it 70's?). There used to be a Smokey the Bear commercial that had the Godzilla one walking (though the one in the commercial I think was a goldish type color)

I picked them up in the early 80's at I think Disney world or somewhere when I went to visit Florida. They still make them today. Great stuff. Love that display box!!!
          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Wow, those are really cool, I never had one of them. Closest I got is a Godzilla "sparkie", he doesn't have a wind up key to make him walk like these guys do, but he does have sparks come out of his mouth when you rev him up via the wheel on the bottom.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I had the Creature one.
              After a while, the sparking action ceased.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• wilbs518
                Mego Collector
                • Jul 25, 2009

Those are awesome!
                sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Around '86, I worked in an all wind-up toy store in Philadelphia called "The Last Wound Up." (I know, awesome name.) and we sold these guys on a regular basis. Godzilla was by far the biggest seller. I was actually surprised about the AHI connection. It wasn't until I started hanging out with you guys did I hear about it.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by spacecaps
                    They used to have these as prizes in the arcade at the United Sakes of America Roller Rink. I've still got mine and just recently found two robot ones of the same size. Just like the monsters, they spark when you wind them too. Here are the robot ones in with my Mattel Space toys...the blue guy to the left of Vincent and the orange guy to the right with the bug eyes. What really would have been cool is if the sparks came out of their chest instead of their mouths.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC_0034.jpg

Those are also by AHI, under the name "Star Fleet"
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎