• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

The fun is back...again

Atari Flashback 3: 60 Retro Games for the Price of One New Game - Technabob
    Ive been seeing alot of these lately. Heres a chance to get an atari for those who miss playing it on a television. They should make one with a cartridge slot though...Its like fourty, fifty dollars (the price of a new game)
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

From what I've read, it's not done by, Legacy Engineering, the people that did the previous Flashbacks. This one is done by ATGAMES. I think this new one is based on a NES on a chip design and not the 2600 on a chip the Flashback 2 and Flashback 2 Plus used.

That said, I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff and I would probably still pick one up for a good price.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 30, '11, 6:50 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

I still wish they would put a cartridge slot on it so atari games could be played. Maybe in a future version. Alot of people might say "so what, its just the Atari", but this is really the longest running of any system. It wont go away,lol.
      I think its time Nintendo did something like this with a bunch of their popular games. Not some bootleg junk someone came out with, a proper official version.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Figuremod73
        I still wish they would put a cartridge slot on it so atari games could be played. Maybe in a future version. Alot of people might say "so what, its just the Atari", but this is really the longest running of any system. It wont go away,lol.
        I love the Atari too and still play mine. Unfortunately, I don't see Atari/Infogrames ever releasing an actual cartridge style Atari system. I doubt they'd want to deal with the customer service nightmare of being flooded with emails and calls from people that can't get some 30 year old cartridge to work on their new system. Besides, I don't think Infogrames has an interest in keeping Atari alive beyond licensing and game copyrights.

I've read that Legacy is planning a new Atari compatible cartridge system though. It will be an Atari in everyway but the name.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Picked one up tonight a Dollar General for $40. Pretty sweet deal. Way cheaper than amazon or ebay. I'm gonna try it out tonight and then post my thoughts on it.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Okay, here's my thoughts on it.

It is really good.

All the games look bright, clean and sharp on my HDTV with no graphic glitches. I don't know what type of emulation they are using, but it's terrific. I had a lot of trouble with severe graphic glitches with the Flashback 2 on my HDTV. From the annoying, like dark and blurry graphics on games like Centipede and Missile Command, to absolutely unplayable, like on the two Asteroids games.

Only one game on the FB3 is glitched. Since the FB3 doesn't have the color/BW switch, there is no way to access your items screen in Secret Quest.

The FB3 Atari 2600 controllers are really nice. Not as stiff controlling as the FB2 ones. Some people might not like the looser control, but I rather like it. The FB3 controllers do work on actual Atari 2600 consoles. Ms Pac-Man controlled like a dream with them on my Atari Jr. Other pluses this has over the previous Flashbacks is front controller ports and the ability to reset to the main menu without having to turn the system on and off when you want to play a different game.
            Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 24, '11, 2:24 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

thats good to hear. have you tried the kaboom style controllers yet? (assuming you have one handy) does it have those strange lines on the left hand side when playing missile command?
              i think it would be better than sitting around playing emus on a computer.
              i can wear a atari joystick out in a year

Comment

• weshightower21
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 16, 2011

i bought Halloween for the atari 2600 at my local pawn shop. They have a ton of them,cheap too.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

have you tried the kaboom style controllers yet? (assuming you have one handy)
                  The paddle controllers do work with the FB3 but unfortunately I don't have any to personally test.

does it have those strange lines on the left hand side when playing missile command?
                  The "comb" effect is still visible on some of the games. Same as the real thing.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

the flea market here has people selling atari's on occasion in various conditions. im still waiting for that prestine boxed one,lol.
                    awhile back i saw someone walking around with a commadore vic 20 and it looked like it had never been opened! of course, i wouldnt see it first....

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

awhile back i saw someone walking around with a commadore vic 20 and it looked like it had never been opened! of course, i wouldnt see it first....
                      That would have been an awesome catch.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

i even commented to them as they walked by that that was probably the best thing at the flea market that day.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Toys R Us is going to have the Flashback 3 on sale for $25 this Friday and Saturday. Good deal.
                          Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 24, '11, 2:49 PM.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

i saw that this morning. the controllers alone are worth that!!! :D

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                              Vet.
                              • May 22, 2007

I seen these the other night...I was going to get one for my daughter for Christmas...does it have donkey kong?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎