X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

9 Completely Worthless Collectibles

Here's another article posted on Yahoo today called "9 Completely Worthless Collectibles." It's way better than the one they posted yesterday called The Most Valuable Toys. What's even more surprising is that I actually agree with the list! Most of this is pure crap you find for nothing at Flea Markets. I've got a few other things I could add when it comes to worthless collectibles. Take a look...
    worthless-collectibles-street: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
  • Hotfoot
    Dazed and Confused
    • Dec 30, 2007

I collect things that I like. I do not collect to invest! I still like the Hess Trucks! Hard to find anymore since there are not any Hess Dealers in my area.
    Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

My mom has Hummels. I don't think I'll tell her about this article. She loves them though. I don't think she really cares about the "value" in money but I think she'd be upset to know that nobody wants them.

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

Hess Trucks are cool if you like them. I had a teacher in High School that used to ask his students if they had any they didn't want. The first few years after my son was born, my parents would buy a Hess Truck for my son to play with and an exta Hess truck to keep in the box. They were sure it was a good investment because a relative had The Hess Boat from 1966 and sold it for a few grand. They of course didn't realize that the trucks today are massed produced and were clogging up my closet. (They bought me a truck every year before my son was born too.) I begged them to stop buying these things but they, for what ever reason (tradition maybe) kept doing it. Now they only buy the one for my son even though he plays with it all of one day (Thanksgiving) and never looks at it again.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I worked at Hess in high school and college. people went nuts over those trucks. i hated them. my son has a whole bunch that he also played with the day he got and never touched again except to move out of the way when looking for something else
          my mother has a lot of hummels, my wife and I have some as well. it is more of a German thing

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

9 worthless collectibles

Place me in the Franklin Mint category...

sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

My wife collected Dreamsicles for awhile, same as the Precious Moments figurines...pay $40 sell for $1.00. Every now & again she mentions putting them on Ebay, and I convince her the listing fees will cost us more than they'll sell for, it's better just to keep them in thye closet until a massive earthquake destroys all the others in existance.

They also forgot to mention in the article all those limited edition Michael Jordan card sets they hawk on QVC, as well as pretty much any Nascar items.

Comment

• Brad
                Batman Fanatic
                • Aug 20, 2010

That figures. My MIL has a vast collection of Hummel Figurines, Beanie Babies, and Hess trucks.
                "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Wow, I even had a Hess truck. I also remember the imitations that were sold at hardware and food markets in the 70s. (advertising that store).
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                    Persistent Member
                    • Oct 3, 2007

My favorite Worthless Collectables are Palm Pilots and Pocket PC's. The funny thing is, when out at good wills and other thrift stores. If I mention I like them. Everyone thinks they're a big money ebay item. Then I show them on my ANDROID phone (which I got Free with 2 year plan!!! IRONY!!!) That these thing arent selling at all.
                    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

The founder of comic book industry bible Wizard, Gareb Shamus, said a year ago that the best advice a collector could heed was to buy what they liked and do their homework. Then again, he's also a Spider-Man collector who paid $1,700 for an issue with a cover drawn by artist Todd MacFarlane featuring the villain Sandman. The book's value jumped to between $30,000 and $40,000 when the Sandman appeared in the latest Spider-Man film.
                      These kind of mistakes always lead to annoying encounters for comic shop owners with folks coming in looking for the big payday for their valuable comic book.

Shamus did not sell an issue... He sold THE ORIGINAL ART for the cover.

One of the most common stories I hear from retailers are phone calls from from people claiming to have action comics #1, or Superman #1, and it Always turns out to be the treasury edition from the seventies.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

love the line Comic industry Bible Wizard.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• spacecaps
                          Second Mouse
                          • Aug 24, 2011

I remember back in the 90's when the Mcfarlane Spiderman comic series came out and issue #1 had all sorts of variants. The Silver Cover, The Gold Cover, The Regular Cover, The Sealed In Bag Gold Cover, The Sealed In Bag Silver Cover, The Sealed In Bag Regular Addition, the Newsstand Barcode Cover, and The coveted Platinum Cover. As a kid I'd go into the local comic shop and stare at the Platinum cover behind a glass case with a price tag of $300 wishing I could afford it even though I had all of the other cover variants. Twenty or so years later I found the Platinum cover for $5. Also, right up there with Franklin Mint stuff has to be Hamilton Collection items. They used to run marathons on TV selling Star Wars items like tin cards and plates and today most of that stuff is worthless.

Comment

• torgospizza
                            Theocrat of Pan Tang
                            • Aug 19, 2010

The Norman Rockwell plates actually sound kind of cool to me, especially if I can grab them cheap.

I always thought it sounded shady that Wizard published a price guide when Shamus owned a chain of comic stores. No conflict of interest there.

Comment

• LordMudd
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 22, 2011

I had none of those things. I do have a neighbor who has the Norman Rockwell plate of the little redhead girl in the classroom reading by herself while the rest of the class is gathered around the teacher, but then she IS that little girl.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎