X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Revenge of the Azrak Monsters

It's not October if we don't discuss the AHI Monster dolls and we've got a couple of additions to the galleries starting with this killer variant of Frankenstein (courtesy of my pal the Kidd). I've never seen eyes like this one.

Count Dracula alone was marketed in the UK in a window box, the rest of the Monsters showed up carded. I'll probably never know exactly why. This piece is available for trade for certain items on my wantlist, if you'd like to know more please contact me
    The back of the box shows that original AHI card art was used in it's construction but there is no manufacturer name. My best guess is these were created to sell some end run overstock of Dracula figures. Only a couple of these have ever surfaced.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • vulcan2074
    Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

I Love ahi Monsters. That Frankenstein is awesome!
    Sammy

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

That boxed Dracula is beyond cool.
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Very unique...I love seeing variant packaging like this. Never seen this example before. Very cool. I would guess the reason why Dracula got special packaging privileges is because his popularity was more prominent overseas. The overstock theory is interesting but they would have had to commission additional artwork for the front and print out additional packaging just for this figure. Plus when you consider the multiple colors used to print out this special edition box, that seems expensive to run out overstock. Quite possible though. Good guess.
        The Frankenstein figure is really a head scratcher to me. I've never quite understood the reasoning behind all of the variant head sculpts. Wouldn't this have been expensive even back then to retool a head? The only reasoning I can gather is they no longer had license to use Karloff's likeness, so they were forced to alter his face. Fascinating though to see all the different variants. So does this make the total number of Franky variants stand at six?
        Last edited by MIB41; Oct 20, '11, 5:55 AM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

The AHI Mummy is one of all time fav's.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• HumanWolfman
            Type3Toys Has Transformed
            • Oct 5, 2011

I dont think I have ever seen that version of the Frankenstein Monster. What an amazing head sculpt that is.
            View My Customs
            www.type3toys.com
            or check here
            http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

Cold the box be blank so that other distributors could pop their sticker on? Maybe a push to get more overseas markets and therefore was a test with the most popular of the monsters?
              It's all good!

Comment

• mikeoz
                Mego Maker
                • Mar 9, 2007

I love AHIs! The variations make them so fun to collect.
                Looking for:
                Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎