• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

GMA segment on '80s toys

'GMA' Show Me the Money: Selling Childhood Toys

Wow, I had no idea that now is a "perfect" time to sell those old Star Wars toys..
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I imagine beat up, incomplete Strawberry Shortcakes being marked up to $100 each at Flea Markets everywhere this morning.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
      I imagine beat up, incomplete Strawberry Shortcakes being marked up to $100 each at Flea Markets everywhere this morning.
      Welcome to my world.

Even the Goodwill stores here mark stuff up with crazy prices. I found a beat to hell Atari 2600 at one recently. No power cable, no controllers, nothing. A tag on it looked to be $15. I thought it was a little high for a broken 2600 but was gonna get it anyway, because I can never find anything and to see if I could fix it. The price was actually $50. Yes, $50.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 19, '11, 1:14 PM. Reason: typos
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>Even the Goodwill stores here mark stuff up with crazy prices.

It's 'cos they got a subscription to the Crazy Gran'ma price guide:

Stupid Comics

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Don C.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I'm always in awe of the stuff people here find at garage sales, flea markets and Goodwill types stores. The stuff I always see is insanely over priced and beat up.

I was at a run down little unairconditioned comic shop recently and they had a few recent action figures in a back room. Nothing valuable or remotely rare. The cheapest being a common Batman figure from Mattel's "The Batman" line for $25. The card was warped from the heat and it was covered in dust.

I had about 4 figures I would have bought had the prices not been high. But they thought they were sitting on gold and didn't sell any. I'm beyond looking for a good deal. I just want to pay a price that is not totally unrealistic.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

im starting to see people buy multiples of figures, sit on them, and then sell them overpriced at the flea markets.

Comment

• Den82
              Career Member
              • Jan 17, 2011

I get a sick feeling in my gut over this.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

Was the "expert" in his vintage toy store or is that his personal collection? It's real nice whichever it is.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

I bet we'll start seeing people asking $2k for their Bravestarr collections
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Den82
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 17, 2011

That bravestarr collection is no $2,000.

One of the local thrift stores raised the price of their NES games from like $2.99 to $18.99 for something like Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt and $14.99 for utter crap like Blades of Steel that you could hardly get $3 for.

Comment

• Toy Talk
                      Old and out of touch
                      • Aug 7, 2009

This too shall pass
                      "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

im getting annoyed by this trend to. theres so much from my childhood i want to get back but if this mentality keeps up its not going to happen. there should be a book value that everyone stays in the ball park of. nothing against making a little money but sometimes people just get unreasonable.....

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 3, 2007

The other end is that some people will buy thrift store crap at these prices. They will think they will run home and put it on ebay. They think the item will roll over and they'll get double thier investment.
                          The thrift store people think your trying to talk down the price when you mention it to them. But the sad thing is two days later some sap will pay that price. Thinking he/she found a goldmine.
                          Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                          MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎