X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

Colorform Aliens Sea Devils Zeroids and Matt Mason

For the last few years I've been collecting Mattel's rubber figures from the 60's and yesterday I acquired what has to be the most desirable piece in the line, the Astro-Nautalist. I think on the whole the toughest figure by far though is Kreator the villain from Sea Devils. In the past three years, there have been a total of 2 of them listed on ebay. Over all these figures are awesome and display great with Ideal's Zeroids and a few other robots from that era. I've got a mint Matt Mason on the way as an upgrade to the one that appears in the photo and you'll notice I still need two figures from the Matt Mason line, the red guy Sgt. Storm and the blue guy Jeff Long. Storm is relatively easy to find and Jeff Long, being one of the first black action figures is a little tougher but by no means impossible. I'm holding out for ones with decent paint and a helmet. I'd also love to get some accessories for my Aliens but sometimes they can actually outsell the figures. If anyone has any let me know. The back drop behind these guys is from the Lost In Space switch & go diorama playset incase you were wondering. These guys are displayed prominently in my living room and I thought I'd share some pics with everyone here on the forums.

"Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

simply awesome display. Brought an immediate smile to my face. love it.
    how bout Capt. Lazer?

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

There are only 12 things in those pics I did not have as a kid.

CCC.

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

Captain Lazer is too big to fit onto that shelf! Also I've never liked him. I think Mattel just had him sitting around and tried to force him into the MM line so to me he never really fit in with the other figures.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• vulcan2074
          Live Long and Prosper
          • Mar 23, 2008

Those are super awesome.
          Sammy

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Love love love these pics!!!!! I'm a huge Sea Devils fan! As a kid of got a Sea Devils set within 2 days my dog had chewed it up. Probably in my top 5 favorite toys as a kid.
            Is that an Imperial blue rubber shark in the front in pics 4, 5 & 6?
            Last edited by Marvelmania; Oct 18, '11, 7:12 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Fantastic stuff. I don't have much 60's stuff in my collection (a bit before my time, so no nostalgic connection) but after seeing pics like these, I think I should start.

What's the deal with Capt Lazer? He definitely seemed forced into the MM line. What did they originally intend to do with him? They even more or less forced him into the Battlestar Galatica line too, years later (I think to get some product out fast). Is there a story to Mattel's original plans for the figure?
              Last edited by cjefferys; Oct 18, '11, 7:58 PM.

Comment

• spacecaps
                Second Mouse
                • Aug 24, 2011

Yes thats an Imperial shark. Reminds me of the one that was grabbing onto Batman's leg in the 60's Batman Movie. As for Captain Lazer....."Major Matt Mason's Friend from Outer Space" with "Superhuman Lazer Powers" was first offered in 1968. In television commercials, he is supposedly "Born on Mars" and capable of great "Bravery and Lazer powers." Capt Lazer is an anomoly among Major Matt Mason collectors due to his scale (he's approximately 12" tall). It has long been conjectured that Lazer was originally created to be part of another toy line, or that he was some type of Spock tie-in (this probably comes from his hair style and pointed ears).

This is what Captain Lazer does when you're not looking.
                Last edited by spacecaps; Oct 18, '11, 9:15 PM.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

VERY sweet collection!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                    • Jan 22, 2008

I have a Capt. Laser coming to me from a trade with Jeepers Creepers, never had one before or seen or seen one in person. I didnt know its eyes lit up, thats very cool.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Woah, very nice boxed Capt Lazer. I definitely want to get one of those some day!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

Great collection. I think this is the first time I've seen the Capt. Lazer box at all!
                        It's all good!

Comment

• TEXASFETT
                          #1 Bounty Hunter
                          • Aug 29, 2008

Some really nice stuff,always wonder what the heck happened to my Zeroids.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎