Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ng.59
    • May 6, 2010

Need help to remold a mego fashion doll head

hi, i want to have mego fashion dolls heads to be remolded, i can find the head for the mold but i need them to be remold in generic beige color (same color as farrah body), i also have the posibility to reroot them.
    do any one's here can do that??????
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>i also have the posibility to reroot them

THERE'S the trick. Making a solid head mold is definitely possible, but if you're gonna reroot the hair you'd need a hollow one, like the original.... which would be almost impossible to mold; or you'd need to drill holes in a resin one and reroot the hair sprig by sprig. Possible (I've done it) but more time consuming than a regular reroot.

Don C.

Comment

• ng.59
      • May 6, 2010

arggg! that's very sad!
      i want to use a holly doll for a custom project and also a liia from star treck but their heads always discolor and this is my problem!
      so look like there is no remold solution using something softner unless i'm a toy compagny i guess!?

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

I think it's possible but I've never tried. This member can probably make it for you but I have since lost his e-mail address.

Have your Mego head cast in Vinyl Like Fleshtone flexible material!!! - Mego Talk

To reroot you would have to drill the holes and melt the vinyl hair with a candle method, something I also have not dabbled in but encountered a long time ago:
        http://home.freeuk.net/pewty/tips/reroot.html
        Last edited by jessica; Oct 17, '11, 11:14 PM.
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
          Formerly known as Del
          • Dec 12, 2004

I keep meaning to try rerooting solid resin heads, but never get around to it. It doesn't look that much more difficult, other than drilling the holes right. After that, it's just time-consuming.
          Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
          https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>It doesn't look that much more difficult, other than drilling the holes right. After that, it's just time-consuming

Yeah.... VERY time consuming. I've done mine by drilling itty-bitty holes, and using a slow dry epoxy or super glue to glue sprigs of hair into them.

>but their heads always discolor

You might be able to paint them, or recolur them; different techniques exist for those tricks.

Don C.

Comment

• ng.59
              • May 6, 2010

Originally posted by jessica
              I think it's possible but I've never tried. This member can probably make it for you but I have since lost his e-mail address.

Have your Mego head cast in Vinyl Like Fleshtone flexible material!!! - Mego Talk

To reroot you would have to drill the holes and melt the vinyl hair with a candle method, something I also have not dabbled in but encountered a long time ago:
              http://home.freeuk.net/pewty/tips/reroot.html
              thanks jessica, i e-mailed the guy, will see what he can do. I'm not sure that i understand the drill holes method since the head is not empty until the neck???
              i don't have a problem rerooting doll hair so it's not a problem. I just have the problem with the remold and being soft....

Comment

• ng.59
                • May 6, 2010

http://home.freeuk.net/pewty/tips/reroot.html[/QUOTE]

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!!!
                DON'T DO WHAT IS IN THE TUTORIAL!!!! I can't beleive it!!!! There is lots of other way to remove a head without using a knife!!!! The candle technic is also a solution but you need to do a knob before burning it!!!
                wow! i think i should make a reroot tutorial!!:-)

Comment

• ng.59
                  • May 6, 2010

>but their heads always discolor

You might be able to paint them, or recolur them; different techniques exist for those tricks.

Don C.[/QUOTE]
                  ok but it is going to keep discoloring even if you paint them??? I mean, recoloring them now and then in 1 year the head will be back to green???
                  lmk.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>but it is going to keep discoloring even if you paint them???

I hafta go with "maybe." It depends what you paint them with. The greying/greening/hardening is the result of chemicals breaking down within the plastic. (The stickyness you sometimes get is from the plasticizers bleeding out of the plastic.) If you use regular paints, which adhere to the surface of the plastic, there's a good chance the chemicals will leech through THEM eventually, causing the discolouration. I use vinyl paint that actually soaks into the plastic and adds new plasticizers, which fixes the problem, renews the colour and sometimes makes 'em squishy again. (Squishy-ER, depending on how hard they were to begin with.) The Plasti-Dip trick does the same thing, and in both cases they WILL eventually grey again.

Don C.

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Well sometimes a sharp knife is the fastest method, if the pliers aren't cutting it. LOL!
                      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• ng.59
                        • May 6, 2010

maybe but in the case just dip the head is very hot water, the vinyl will become softer, this is what i do with lots of dolls (bionic woman for exemple) and it work fine whitout domaging the head, you just pop it and it's done!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎