X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

I'm Dying For Some Sci Fi

I was going to post this in the Classic Sci Fi section but that was labeled movies and tv so I figured I was safe posting it here.

I am dying for some sci fi reading material. Not Star Wars or Star Trek, although I'm not knocking them, I just want some good science fiction to read! You know, REAL science fiction. I'm reading more lately and I realized that I can't find the type of sci fi I want. It's all Halo or Star Wars or Star Trek or something else like that. I want some real science fiction. Some space exploration, alien worlds, technology, man against the universe type stuff, not just "this guy shooting that guy" stuff. Is Ben Bova any good? What about Asimov or Heinlein? I like Bradbury, but I have some of his stuff and it's not really what I'm after right now. I want some sci fi!

Are there any sci fi readers in the Museum that can suggest some good sci fi reading? Older is fine, and so is modern. I don't care, I just need something good to read. A series is fine, or even one shots. Whatever. I need sci fi!

(I used the words "sci fi" 9 times in this post including the title and this notation. Then I counted them. I have some free time tonight.)

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • ramsey37
    • Jun 18, 2001

I've yet to read a bad story by Isaac Asimov. I'd recommend his collections of robot stories first, then move on to the Foundation series. Lots of good stuff there.
    George

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

Douglas Adams
      Piers Anthony
      Poul Anderson
      Mike Resnick
      Arthur C. Clarke
      Orson Scott Card (Read ender's Game!!!)
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• JDeRouen
        Author of Small Things
        • Jun 14, 2001

Some of my favorite SF:

Alternities by Michael P. Kubrick-McDowell
        Twistor by John Cramer
        Einstein's Bridge by John Cramer
        --
        Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

Wow! You haven't read the big 3? Asimov, Clarke or Heinlien? There'a a heck of a lot out there even beyond them.

Have you read the Robots or Foundation saga? I'm only talking about the ones by Asimov. It's pretty expansive. Start with the Robot novels and short stories. I, Robot, Robot Dreams, Robot Visions, Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, etc. See if you like those.

Then try the Galactic Empire Novels: Pebble in the Sky, The Stars Like Dust, The Currents of Space. These are the predecessors of the Foundation novels and delve into some of the worlds that will be involved in Foundation stories.

Then try a book called The End of Eternity. It preceeds the Foundation. It's not officially part of it all but it is the alternate universe where humanity persued time travel rather than space travel. It sort of connects but I don't want to say how. Then read Foundation.

Other SF I have read:

Arthur C. Clarke:

2001, 2010 & 3001. Seen the first 2 films? Try 2010 even if you saw the film. Tons of stuff they never used. 2061 doesn't tie into 3001. Read 2061 if you want to see what the world of Europa might be like now that life florurishes on it.

The Fountains of Paradise - Clarke outlines the probable construction and function of a Space Elevator.

Rendezvous w/Rama, Rama II, I haven't read much past that tho there are 2 more in the series.

My Father read the Dune saga and highly recommends it, ( I have not but will someday). I always wondered why Herbert is not up there and it's not the big 4.

Other good books:

Mellenium by John Varley is suppossed to be the ultimate Time Travel novel. Each chapter is named for a popular story on Time Travel. There was a film made but it tossed out most of the book. There's lotsa great stuff here.

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven. A great story about man's first contact with a race of aliens, ( similar to Wookies, but oddly they speak english). I have not read the sequel, The Gripping Hand. Also by Niven, and recommended: Ringworld, The Integral Trees.

A friend of mine recommends Ian Banks books. He said Use of Weapons is so good it has a race of aliens that make the Klingons look like wusses.
          Last edited by johnmiic; May 22, '07, 6:16 PM.

Comment

• AcroRay
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 17, 2005

I'll second John's reccommendation of Larry Niven.

You might also look up A E Van Gogt's VOYAGE OF THE SPACE BEAGLE, which is required reading if you have even a passing fancy for the ALIEN series of films.

And James P Hogan's INHERIT THE STARS is a good read as well.

John Varley's work is excellent as well. You might also try William Gibson's original cyberpunk genre novel NEUROMANCER.
            Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
            AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
            The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
            Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I really love Richard Matheson (especially I am Legend) and Canticle for Lebowitz is an interesting book.

John Wyndham is superb too, especially the Crysalids.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

Can't go wrong with Philip K Dick.

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzies series
                  Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, his Bill the Galactic Hero series, or his Deathworld trilogy. Almost all of his books are good.
                  Mike Resnick's Tales of the Galactic Midway
                  A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Something about Arthur C. Clarke's writing style makes it difficult for me to read. He has some great ideas, but I usually don't realise it until I've struggled through the entire novel and am thinking about it later. The best comparison I can make is that his words flow like they were translated from German.

Piers Anthony is a condescending jerk. After reading his comments at the end of one of his novels, I pulled all of his books off my shelf and took them to a used books store.

Comment

• bonkers head
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 25, 2007

for some lighter Sci-Fi reading try the Hitchhikers guide to galaxy novels by Douglas Adams .

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

I also forgot Gregory Benford wrote some good Sci-Fi. There's a series called The Galactic Center novels-I read the 1st two:

In the Ocean of Night
                      Across the Sea of Suns
                      Great Sky River
                      Tides of Light
                      Sailing Bright Eternity
                      FURIOUS GULF (?)

My Father reminded me that a very good author, oft ovelooked, is C. J. Cherryh. He recommends many of the books dealing with the character Chanur.

These should be read in sequence:

The Chanur Saga, ( comprised of - The Pride of Chanur, Chanur's Venture and The Kif Strike Back )
                      Chanur's Homecoming

These follow but am sketchy on the sequence:

Chanur's Legacy
                      Chanur's Endgame

Also I heard the Giants Novels by James P. Hogan might be worth checking out.

Have you ever read Farenheight 451 or The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury? I thought they were very well done. I only read them a couple of years ago. I think The MArtian Chronicles are stronger but they are a collection of short stories.

And as my friends point out there is also The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which I forgot. It's very, very funny,( think Monty Python-esque).

Anthony, I have to tell ya, I worked at a B&N and we used to curse the amount of worthless books by Piers Anthony that would glut the SF shelves. We would send his junk back and it would be re-sent to us every week. The guy is taking up too much space in the bookstores. They need to let more of his stuff lapse into out of print status.

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

Wow I didn't expect such a response, but I'm glad I got it! I've never read much in the past, but I'm trying to do more reading. I enjoy it and if I get into a book I can go through it in no time. But I never know what to read.

I have read Matheson's "I Am Legend" and I loved it. I just re-read it. I've never read Asimov, Clarke, or Heinlein, but I have read Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I'm planning on reading "The Martian Chronicles.

I think I have plenty of reading to do. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it. I can't wait to see what awaits me in these books!

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• megomonkey
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 24, 2002

Canticle for Lebowitz-- palitoy you took the words out of my mouth. It's a wonderful, thought-provoking read

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

Harlan Ellisons short story "I have no mouth and I must scream"..is just awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎