X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

Remco Seaview Flea Market Find!

This is one of those toys I have always wanted but could never afford. A year ago I found the divers that this came with this set for a quarter each in a box of army men. A few weeks ago I found the sub at a Flea Market. The guy that sold it to me had no idea what he had. He called it a spaceship and didn't even know it was a submarine! Surprisingly, it had some of the original pieces still attached. The pieces that were missing, I was able to get reproed through Redvenomrepros.com. The biggest problem I had was the rear top piece that the vertical fin attaches to was snapped off and missing. To fix this, I used a BIC pen cap, snapped the stem off, painted it yellow and glued it in place. It fit perfectly! (Would you have noticed if I didn't mention it?) I got the actual sub at the market for $10 and the repro pieces cost about $40 making this one of the best (and most valuable) items I've ever picked up in the wild!

Last edited by spacecaps; Oct 11, '11, 10:37 PM.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Wow! Sweet grab! I love VTTBOTS! Congrats!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

very cool, so what's it worth?
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

Something like this in the original box would be in the thousands but in this condition maybe $300-$400.....
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

I'd never seen this one, great piece.
          And it combines nicely with your custom base, aka the Record Player of Doom...
          Together they give a very cool 60s vibe...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• PoorMansJB
            • Nov 1, 2010

WOW! Were the stickers present or are those repros?

I thought something was up with the rudder but only because I have this same toy and didn't recall that sort of secondary ring that's really part of the pen cap; actually makes for a nice detail!

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

I had one as a kid, played with it until the rubber band broke.

CCC.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Had one I got for my 6th birthday. No idea whatever hapened to it.. Totally cool find!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

Never seen or heard of it before, but I like it. Great score, is this like a grail piece?

Comment

• spacecaps
                    Second Mouse
                    • Aug 24, 2011

The original stickers were present when I bought it but the back one was so far faded it needed to be replaced. The main "Seaview" sticker is the original. I bought the replacement repro but decided not to use it. As for this being a "grail piece", yes you can say that. First, you just don't find this kind of a toy just sitting around at a Flea Market. Its just to old, rare, and fragile. This was after all intended to be a water toy so a lot of these were relegated to the bath tub and the swimming pool. Also, to find it with some of the original pieces like the rudder and propellor is hugh! Second, its one of those toys that when it does come up on line, there's always someone out there willing to pay more for it than you. The price of these guys tends to fluctuate depending on who's bidding at the time but I've never seen one sell for less than $150 even in poor condition. Imagine finding a Blue Snaggletooth or Colorform Alien in a bin of old toys for a buck and thats kind of what this find was like. Here's a guy on ebay thats got the entire set for 2 grand.... Thats actually a pretty decent price considering he's got almost everything from the line. For that price he should have some better pictures though.

Remco Voyage Seaview | eBay

That whale in the pic has sold loose on its own for a few hundred and the other sea creatures are no slouch either. The mini-sleds do come up occasionally and usually sell for $100-$150 and are generally missing the front guns or crane. The little plastic divers can run about $30 each on ebay too and I've never seen an original box go on auction although last winter some one was selling a repro box for $90. There are also variants too. I believe the box in the auction is the Sears exclusive playset solid box but two window box were also made where the sub and divers were packaged together in one and divers, a treasure box (good luck fining that) and the mini-sleds were in the other. The window boxes are much, much nicer. The mini-sleds also either have clear domes of tinted blue domes but at this point I don't think one is rarer than the other since both are pretty darn hard to find even though I prefer the blue ones. Also, if you're familiar with Remco's Hamliton Invaders line, these Seaview toys are the same scale and fit right in.
                    Last edited by spacecaps; Oct 13, '11, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

How freakin' cool is that?!!! Nice score!!!

Comment

• alex
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 15, 2009

very nice, hadnt seen or even heard of this toy.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎