X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackkryptonite
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 28, 2006

Question about sewing an AJ Jumpsuit

It's been a while since I've made any costumes and I'm wanting to put together a custom jumpsuit for a project i'm working on but I think the AJ pattern is confusing me a little. I was wondering if anyone could explain it to me.

Do I need to cut out 2 pieces for the left and right sides here on this pattern or 1 for the left side and 3 for the right? Eh I think my dyslexia is getting the best of me. Thanks for the help folks!
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Being a slightly better than mediocre sewer, let me give you some advice.

You cut 2 pieces for the right and left pieces. The one on the left is the front and the one on the right is the back.

Now, depending upon where you want your fastening, this is how you put it together:

If you want to have it close in the front, sew the two back pieces together using the center back seam.

Now comes the tricky part: Take the two front pieces, and press the placket extension to the inside, then tack it down with a couple of hand stitches at the collar.

The trickiest part: Place the two front pieces, and sew a line of stitching down the front center seam on each piece. DO NOT PLACE THEM TOGETHER YET!

This will make sure that the placket will stay in place.

Now, place the two front pieces, right sides together, and sew together at the crotch.

Pin the back and front pieces together at the shoulders, and fit on the figure. If you are satisfied with the way it looks, keep going.

Now, carefully sew the shoulder seams together, and try it on the figure again, to make sure that everything is even.

While everything is flat, take the two sleeve pieces, and pin them to the armholes, then carefully sew together. I suggest doing this by hand, as a machine may eat the thing altogether.

Then, hem the sleeve cuffs, and trim them down, without cutting through the stitches.

Put it back on the figure and see if you made any boo-boos. If you did, rip out the stitches and do them over. If not, keep going.

With right sides together, do the sleeve and outside seams starting from the cuff of the sleeve, down to the cuff of the leg.

Put it back on the figure, and see if it looks good, and if you've done everything right, everything will be even.

Now, if you're going to sew the collar, do so, after pinning right sides together, and sewing on the top and sides. Carefully clip the corners, and turn right side out, then sew to the inside neckline of the suit.

Sew the inside leg from one ankle to the other (it doesn't matter which one) and put it on the figure AGAIN.

If everything is copascetic, and all the seams are straight and even, your job is done.

All that is left is to sew on a small plastic or metal snap, put it on the figure for the LAST time, and you're done.

BTW, take numerous breaks, cuz otherwise sewing in that small of a scale is going to give you eyestrain, headaches and generally grumpy.

If anyone out there cares to correct any errors I may have made, please do so.

I said in the beginning that I was a slightly better than mediocre sewer, not an expert on haute couture for action figures.

Jessica, if you have anything to contribute, please do. I probably made a hundred goofs.
    JediJaida

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

On the original the back is one piece. I'd probably go that route and save some tricky sewing bits.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

D'oh! I forgot to mention that if you wanted a solid back, you could simply put the pattern piece on the fold of the fabric, and just cut one piece.

Senior moments are no one's friend.
        JediJaida

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 28, 2006

Wow, way more help and advice than I expected and I really appreciate it JediJaida! Thanks for taking the time to type all this out. Very thorough, and I will certainly be printing this out in the morning to use for my instructions Many many thanks! Fred

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

If you have problems, just PM me, or ask Jessica.

If you want the opening at the back, cut two back pieces, and do the OPPOSITE of what I typed out previously.

Although, I suggest not using a collar with that option. It will be impossible to make the collar look neat, and have a back opening.
            JediJaida

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 28, 2006

Cool, thanks again! I'm not using the collar so no worries there

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Very thorough explanation, JJ!! If I may add, looking at the pattern, it looks like the blue stripes are the guide lines for where the fabric is folded.
                Last edited by jessica; Oct 11, '11, 1:36 AM.
                Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Not to mention exhausting to type! This comes from years of reading sewing pattern instructions. At the end my hands were killing me. LOL.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 28, 2006

And everything is very, very appreciated from all you fine people

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>it looks like the blue stripes are the guide lines for where the fabric is folded

Yeah.... those aren't quite the pattern for the original AJ jumpsuit.... the front pieces of the original have this weird, horrible fold at the top where the collar attaches.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

I think that the patterns need to be redone in PDF format, to make printing easier.

I've wasted pages of paper, trying to adjust the scale of the printout, and never got anything that actually fit right off the bat.

Plus, there's only ONE set of sewing instructions in the custome section, and it only deals with one of the bodysuits.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• theressa
                          Sewing...?
                          • Jun 13, 2004

Weird horrible fold. You got that right!
                          But I have dealt with it and still do.
                          I've been thinking how I can put sewing this into words, but may confuse everyone!
                          Maybe a pictorial sometime?
                          I know that if all goes well and no problems, I can do these in an hour and a half.

The only patterns I've ever relied on are my own. Sticking with the AJ based suit, I've adjusted where it needs to be taken in. I've found those consistent spots and measure according to them.
                          Wants, original parts; thinking...
                          It's the quiet ones you gotta watch!
                          Custom suits, in time
                          T_SUITS

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

You should make a pictorial, T!
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎