X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctor09210
    Banned
    • Aug 22, 2011

Painting A Jumpsuit

Can I paint a red jumpsuit that i think is CTVT with Warhammer/citadel paint
    i think the suit is CTVT, it has a Velcro strap on the back
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>with Warhammer/citadel paint

I wouldn't. The acrylics for gaming minis will dry brittle and crack/rub off over time. Plus they're pretty fragile to begin with. For painting a jumpsuit I'd go with the acrylics made for airbrushes. They dry a little more pliable, and you can get a catalyst to add to them that'll make them more durable; especially on cloth. NOTE: You'll have to water them down a bit so's they absorb into the cloth properly.

Don C.

Comment

• doctor09210
      Banned
      • Aug 22, 2011

will cloth/felt pen work?

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

There is fabric pens and fabric paints, available at your craft store, that you can use for this purpose. For very small details, like a logo or a stripe, it is not too bad an option... but for anything larger, you will want to use fabric dye (like Rit dye) or just sew something in the proper fabric.

Oh, and since you are starting from red, your options are probably limited too. You can probably go black... but your blue will turn out purpley, etc.

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

Last night I painted a bodysuit in a last ditch attempt to get an outfit the correct color and the problem I've encountered is some of the paint will lay thicker/deeper than in other areas so it looks like you get streaks.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>the problem I've encountered is some of the paint will lay thicker/deeper than in other areas so it looks like you get streaks

If you're not going to dye, airbrushing is the next best bet. Not that this advice does those without airbrushes any good.... You can get them cheapie spraygun style ones at most hobby shops.... the ones that hook up to a prepack air bottle. Those might work for solid colours, or simple masked-off paterns.

Don C.

Comment

• Cosmicman
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 12, 2005

This most likely has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to comment on newbies who are just getting into the biz and they are using paint on fabric body suits….

Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never do it....no matter how neat it turns out when you the custom has been “completed”

I found out later through experience that time kills the figures. It does not happen at first but after awhile the paint hardens to the fabric of the suit along with the body and if you don't believe me, just do it and you'll see. I was just sparing some of you the torture of what may happen. lol

Big lesson learned here kiddies!

I used to be one of those guys that would create a white generic outfits and paint them the way I desired. As I said, as time has went on, it didn't matter what the paint was made of, it stiffened the figure, sometimes cracked the body when moving it.

I spent 5 months cutting apart my early attempts at customs with what I thought was a genius idea by painting suits with fabric paint.
              Yes, I have read/heard that sometimes it does differ on the fabric. You’ll just drive yourself insane trying to match various paints with fabric.

What I learned is the best way. Cut out a cookie cutter pattern for suits (front page of this website somewhere), print it out. Then go to Joanne’s (or a fabric store like it) grab some material that looks decent with an abundance of give. Bring it on home create a body suit (believe me I went through hell in my first years of trials) and put it all together.
              Of course it will not be simple at first. Trial and errors and lots of reading plus talking with guys on here is the only way to get it accurate.
              Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 7, '11, 1:40 PM.
              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• doctor09210
                Banned
                • Aug 22, 2011

ill just go to the store and buy a felt marker, to many bad things on here about painting...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

good call, usually paint gets overdone and looks like gooped on gunk. maybe if you told us what you were doing someone could give you some tips.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• doctor09210
                    Banned
                    • Aug 22, 2011

I've already started using the markers,
                    they are working very well so far
                    I'm making an iron man since i don't like the mego one, also i wanted to know for future reference

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Ohh, then it would be better to do a yellow or gold suit with a red sleeveless and short legged suit over it.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• doctor09210
                        Banned
                        • Aug 22, 2011

I like how its come out, I'm just really drawing on the knees, shoulders and chest

Comment

• boynightwing
                          That Carl Guy
                          • Apr 24, 2002

You'll have to take some pictures when you're done.

Comment

• doctor09210
                            Banned
                            • Aug 22, 2011

ok then

Comment

• Cosmicman
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 12, 2005

Hey the pink elephant in your signature is iconic by the way.
                              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎