X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctor09210
    Banned
    • Aug 22, 2011

Damn Microbots, YOU KILLED MEGO

I looked this up and found out that mego declined Star Wars so they could take the opportunity to sell the brand spanking new Microbots but eventually Kennars Star Wars line out-sold megos by far and mego had to file bankruptcy.

Good Job Kennar
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

I have never heard of Microbots. I have heard of Micronauts.

CCC.

Comment

• doctor09210
      Banned
      • Aug 22, 2011

micronaunts, bots,tots
      same thing

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

That's not true at all, it's a sloppy rumour that won't go away. Micronauts made the company millions and the lack of the Star Wars license did not fell the company.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MicromanZone
          Banned
          • Apr 26, 2011

Originally posted by doctor09210
          I looked this up and found out that mego declined Star Wars so they could take the opportunity to sell the brand spanking new Microbots but eventually Kennars Star Wars line out-sold megos by far and mego had to file bankruptcy.
          micronaunts, bots,tots
          same thing
          I like the way every clown who “laments” the Mego/Star Wars stuff always mentions the Micronauts but can never even spell the name right: Micronaughts, Microbots, Micronaunts… And the best part? The second after the name is corrected, the response is “Whatever, you know what I mean…” ALWAYS!!!

Also the reason the Star Wars license was declined is explained on this site over here. Ever hear of it? It’s called THE MEGO MUSEUM:
          “Mego is famous for having turned down the Star Wars liscense. They were offered the line first, as they had a long and profitable relationship with 20th Century Fox going back to Planet of the Apes and were the kings of the TV and Movie toy property. Declining Star Wars was more or less a communications error, with the pitch never reaching the senior management at Mego. Had Abrams or Kublan been consulted, Mego would have likely bought the rights to Star Wars in order to PROTECT the Micronauts' share of the market.”
          Oh, and one more thing…
          Good Job Kennar
          You mean, Kenner? Right? Seriously, this stuff always amazes me. Less than 5 second Google search can get the names right but that never happens.
          Last edited by MicromanZone; Aug 29, '11, 6:15 PM.

Comment

• sauce
            Removed
            • Jun 24, 2007

I always thought that tater tots killed MEGO.
            They all choked and died at an employee dinner banquet, based on what I've read in various receptacles.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Not dissimilar to The Terminator, Microbots were sent BACK IN TIME to kill Mego.

Had they not, Mego's little LCD games would have evolved into Skynet. Or the Nintendo 3DS. The end result is the same.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I thought you meant these:

Mile High Comics - MICROBOTS (GOLD KEY) #1 - Full Size Image

It'd be a bit early though; since the comic came out in '71. Funny thing; there WERE Microbot toys. Scott Shaw! posted pics of a few on his website a while back.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
                  It'd be a bit early though; since the comic came out in '71. Funny thing; there WERE Microbot toys. Scott Shaw! posted pics of a few on his website a while back.

Don C.
                  Ironically, they were made by Kenner.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>they were made by Kenner.

Really?!?! Why had I not heard of these things! Shaw! had pics of two or three of them, sitting on a shelf. I had no clue there were toys.... although lookinhg at the designs they were INCREDIBLY toyetic. (I was planning to make 8" Mego scaled ones....)

Don C.

Comment

• doctor09210
                      Banned
                      • Aug 22, 2011

after the pics i looked up
                      i think that would be cool

Comment

• The Super Collector
                        Mego Museum Superhero
                        • Jul 3, 2011

The Mego Museum Superhero from the year 2011

Comment

• doctor09210
                          Banned
                          • Aug 22, 2011

WHAT THE HECK
                          Thats Just Scary

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                            That's not true at all, it's a sloppy rumour that won't go away. Micronauts made the company millions and the lack of the Star Wars license did not fell the company.
                            But what did--was it just the waning interest in superhero toys at the time? Or a deeper, pervasive mismanagement that Mego fans don't acknowledge? Or was Mego just overextended, despite successful Micronauts sales?
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MicromanZone
                              Banned
                              • Apr 26, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              But what did--was it just the waning interest in superhero toys at the time? Or a deeper, pervasive mismanagement that Mego fans don't acknowledge? Or was Mego just overextended, despite successful Micronauts sales?
                              Again, this great website that few know of called “The Mego Museum” has the info right here:
                              To understand exactly what had happened one would have to look first into the financials, Mego was borrowing money at alarmingly high interest rates, their sales for the year previous were the lowest in nearly 5 years.

In a 1981 letter to shareholders Martin Abrams explains why "An overproliferation of electronic merchandise by the entire industry, and a slowdown in consumer demand caused retailers enter this year with excessive inventories" he adds "As a result, the retailers sharply curtailed their purchases during the year, which resulted in our ability to reach, what we considered to be, a very conservative forecast."

Mego made a great deal of staff changes, they closed their Bohemia, NY assembly facility and downsized their staff. The year previous Mego borrowed $52.5 Million from the General Electric Credit Company

Of course, none of this would matter after Martin Abrams and two other executives were indicted for defrauding the shareholders of $100,000 over ten years. Many believe this was an attack at union corruption and not at Mego but it was the final straw for the world's greatest toy company.

By the Summer of 1982, it was over, the Senior VP of Finance Laurence Usdin told the New York Times that despite sales of 73.7 million, the company was over 50 million in debt.

Undaunted, Martin Abrams would attempt to ressurrect Mego in 1983 but for now, gaze into the final catalog that was still full of promise and elicited these words from its President "The Company's inventory has been reduced and the product line is now comprised of a higher proportion of less expensive and more stable items, which the Company believes is being well received."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎