X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

Retrocade

I have wondered a long time why arcades in public places (like malls, skating arenas, etc) seem to have disappeared. I was wondering how supportive you would be if a retrocade came to your area. This of course is a arcade that basically has nothing but older games (about fifteen years or older). Would you frequent it? Would knowing about MAME still make you want to visit it on a regular basis? What games would you want to be able to play at it and would you like it to have some kind of theme?
    To answer my own question: yes i would visit it often. i would want all the pacman themed games at it. the original 4 player gauntlet. and many lightgun games like operation wolf. knowing about mame isnt as fun as the real deal, and i would enjoy competing against others on various games. i would want a heavy 70s and 80s theme of music, etc.
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

yep, and why we are at it let's throw in a couple pinball machines!
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• The Super Collector
      Mego Museum Superhero
      • Jul 3, 2011

I drove an hour to go to one the other day.
      The Mego Museum Superhero from the year 2011

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

MAME and emulated games is not the same thing for me. I'd totally check out a retro style arcade with classic arcade machines.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

we dont have anything like that here in Georgia. the mall only has some newer ones and most of the time 50 cent and small crowds. back in the early to late 80s i would have to fight to play a game against people with business suits. things have really changed...

Comment

• doctor09210
            Banned
            • Aug 22, 2011

the reason why that they are gone is that if a game is 50 cents, 20 games is ten bucks,
            most likely you can buy that same game on the xbox and pay 5 bucks for unlimited play.

Also since you can play at home, the average arcade machine now is $1,500-$6,000 at 50 cents a pop that is 3000 to 12,000 plays. This is also the reason why one play on a lot of new machines can be 1-2 bucks, which is too much for and average joe in these low economic times.

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

very true. it comes down to why fight the traffic to play a game that will be on the psx3 a little later with added tracks/stages....
              ive seen pics of retrocades and heard alot of good things about them. i wish they were more popular than they are so i could have one in my area...

Comment

• doctor09210
                Banned
                • Aug 22, 2011

there used to be one down the block from me but they tore down the building and it has been empty for 4 years

Comment

• MicromanZone
                  Banned
                  • Apr 26, 2011

Theoretically I would support such a beast. But the thing is you will really not make money off of the retro gaming fans. There needs to be a way to hook in the casual gamer in a modern world. And do so in a way that will convince someone—for example—they should pay 25 to 50 cents to play Tetris on a machine versus Tetris (or a clone) on their mobile device.

My advice for anyone who wants to revive retro gaming would be to just open a cafe and restaurant and have maybe 1-3 machines in there as a draw. It’s really the only practical way to handle it and I know a lot of cafes and bars do this BUT this is the one thing you should do: Definitely promote and hype the fact you have the games. Maybe have some actual way for patrons to compete against each other like a wall of high scores and some kind of simple bonus for a high score.

There are places near me that have games, but they don’t do much with them and many are in disrepair. So people tend to ignore them. Figure out some kind of social hook to them and BINGO you have something.

Comment

• doctor09210
                    Banned
                    • Aug 22, 2011

that is true
                    there is a hot dog shack down the block from me which is a tiny little basement space and they have a table that has a pacman/galactica and a bunch of other games.
                    it was meant to be a local hang out and it became one pretty quickly
                    thaey do have great hot dogs to feed on while you are on level 27 of galactica

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

i think really what it comes down to is i miss the atmosphere and excitment i use to have when i went to the mall in my youth. it kind of like the old saying "kids today just dont know what their missing!"

Comment

• MicromanZone
                        Banned
                        • Apr 26, 2011

Oh, I completely miss it as well! But not really in the mall. At the corner candy stores, pizza places, newsstands… I also missed the thrill of exploring neighborhoods to see what machines their shops had! And the pretty instantaneous kinship one could have with someone else playing a game: Put the quarter up and play! But the thing is that is sociological and based on the tech of day. Kids definitely don’t know what they are missing!

Heck, I miss going to record stores in the heyday. Actually meeting other folks, selling old records, buying new records, meeting other music lovers, talking to the clerks. Sorry to say that’s all gone. The way folks consume pop culture has changed. No going back. BUT—like I said—if you can open a place you know people would come to like a bar or a cafe and then just add some pop culture twist that’s something.

Comment

• doctor09210
                          Banned
                          • Aug 22, 2011

once its digital
                          theres no going back
                          medicine is even going electronic

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

37 and i already sound old

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It wouldn't be the same without a guy in a Dokken shirt askin' where he could score some weed.

I don't think I"d be excited about a new arcade, but what I do really miss is the endless variety of ganes they used to have AT those old arcades. You never knew what you were gonna get when you walked in. The home market is WAY too space marine saturated. (Although there are a lot of fun, weird little online games these days....)

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎