• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Star Trek: The Toupee Question

I've posted something similar to this in IMDB

I've heard more than one Trek fan say that Shatner didn't wear a toupee at least for some of the first season.

Looking at these new transfers (on the new Season 1 set), I think it is apparent that in most episodes, he is wearing a piece. You can see a hint of the mesh and flesh color makeup extending a bit into the hair to cover up that mesh.

In the Second pilot and Combromite Manuever (at least) through, it looks as if he might have a very artfully done combover. Especially when his head is bowed down you can see a thin spot that is hidden most of the time. This would mean that the extent of the Shat's hair loss back then may have been just a Jack Nicholson style widow's peak thinning back then.

Mind you it is mostly the revelatory nature of these new episode transfers (even only using the SD versions of them) that have me wondering about the Shat's hair care.

But still, I would've loved to have seen a non toupee shot of him just once (now he probabaly has actual hair implants).

I also thought about Shatner when watching The Odd Couple extras on season one. Jack Klugman wore a toupee playing Oscar. But he didn't use the piece for talk show and award show clips. It was strange to all of the sudden see Oscar with less hair.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I think this question came up on the old board, and I remember folks saying Shat had a bald spot on the crown of his head, and that's what the toup was for. Not sure though.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Here is the only known photograph of Shatner without his rug...

m

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
        Here is the only known photograph of Shatner without his rug...

m

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

I'd like to see the Shat in Uhura's wig...
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

i've heard that shat's toupee is the best in hollywood and he spent a lot of $$$ on it.

Comment

• jds1911a1
              Alan Scott is the best GL
              • Aug 8, 2007

Hair pieces were very common for men back then. Charlton Heston has never appeared in public without his. and for years Connery wore one. one of my great uncles wore one (and not a great one either) unitl the late 90's. Bill's is pretty good.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

There once was a hilarous comedy sketch by this guy all about him stealing shats wig and gaining shats babe mojo.It was awesome.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by mego73
                  I also thought about Shatner when watching The Odd Couple extras on season one. Jack Klugman wore a toupee playing Oscar. But he didn't use the piece for talk show and award show clips. It was strange to all of the sudden see Oscar with less hair.
                  I understand that Ted Danson always wore a toupee on Cheers. I'm not sure if he wore it outside of the show.

I know that there was an episode of Cheers where he revealed to Carla that he wore a piece.

Anyone remember the episode of Night Court Where Bull got a hairpiece based on William Shatner's?
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    Alan Scott is the best GL
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                    I understand that Ted Danson always wore a toupee on Cheers. I'm not sure if he wore it outside of the show.

I know that there was an episode of Cheers where he revealed to Carla that he wore a piece.

Anyone remember the episode of Night Court Where Bull got a hairpiece based on William Shatner's?
                    Danson usually wears a hairpiece for roles (like when Bruce willis does) and appears about half the time with one in public

Comment

• Captain
                      Fighting the good fight!
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                      There once was a hilarous comedy sketch by this guy all about him stealing shats wig and gaining shats babe mojo.It was awesome.
                      Yeah, I remember this one...It was on the Space channel all the time when they first started up. It's got to be on You Tube, or floating around somewhere in cyberspace?

In one of the several "Making of Star Trek" books that popped up in the late nineties, there was a whole rant on how Shatners hairpieces and Nichelle Nichols wigs would always "disappear" at the end of the shooting season. Both actors would always say they new nothing about the issue, but as the author said..."who else would take them?"
                      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• johnmiic
                        Adrift
                        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Captain
                        In one of the several "Making of Star Trek" books that popped up in the late nineties, there was a whole rant on how Shatners hairpieces and Nichelle Nichols wigs would always "disappear" at the end of the shooting season. Both actors would always say they new nothing about the issue, but as the author said..."who else would take them?"

You mean they don't pay these people enough that they had to steal the movie hairpieces and wigs to wear in public? They should be giving them to them for free!

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Devoted Trek fans?
                          (What a prize that would be!)
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎