X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Black Hole question (spoilers)

At the end of the Black Hole when everyone is floating in space, we get a closeup of Maximilian to show that there is a real person inside the robot.

My assumption is that it is Kate McCrea's father inside of Maximilian. If anyone has the script or novelization, do they reveal who's inside Max?

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I've always been lead to believe EVERYTHING inside the Black Hole is a just a hallucination of Dr Kates--- which the eye's would probably be Dr Reinhardts-- in Kates mind (because he's viewed as evil by her)

clips starts a bit late-- the eyes....
    But its still cool
    YouTube - The Black Hole-Final Hell Sequence

m
    Last edited by Mikey; Dec 3, '07, 5:45 PM.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
      Pat Troughton in disguise
      • Nov 21, 2007

I always got the impression that it was Dr. Hans Reinhardt in Maximillians shell as he floats towards him and grabs onto him towards the end......somehow gets inside him to survive. I did actually have the novelisation (I went through a period of collection film novelisations), but never got round to reading it....now like the magnificent U.S.S. Cygnus it is lost somewhere in the black hole of my collection, boxed and hidden like the ark...
      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        • Nov 21, 2007

Just found this on the tinternet...
        "The film's ambiguous and rather cosmic ending--somewhat similar to Into Infinity, and 2001: A Space Odyssey--has been the subject of some debate. As the Palomino survivors reach the bottom of the black hole after a harrowing flight, they appear to enter Heaven and Hell.[3] We see Reinhardt condemned to eternal imprisonment in the metal body of Maximillian in Hell (a sequence foreshadowed in Booth's line early in the film, that the Black Hole was like something "right out of Dante's Inferno"), then the crew of the Palomino are guided by an angel through Heaven. Eventually they emerge from a white hole into what appears to be a new universe.

The film doesn't make it clear if the crew is literally journeying through Heaven and Hell, or if they've entered another dimension.

In Alan Dean Foster's novelization of the film, Kate's ESP links the minds of the Palomino's crew and allows them to survive (after a fashion) as the atoms of their bodies diffuse and are scattered throughout the universe.

One comic book adaptation of the film bypasses the whole issue of what happens inside the black hole by having the crew enter the black hole on one page and emerging apparently unharmed on the next page into a universe where they encounter alternate versions of Reinhardt, Old B.O.B. and Maximillian."
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
          Just found this on the tinternet...
          "The film's ambiguous and rather cosmic ending--somewhat similar to Into Infinity, and 2001: A Space Odyssey--has been the subject of some debate. As the Palomino survivors reach the bottom of the black hole after a harrowing flight, they appear to enter Heaven and Hell.[3] We see Reinhardt condemned to eternal imprisonment in the metal body of Maximillian in Hell (a sequence foreshadowed in Booth's line early in the film, that the Black Hole was like something "right out of Dante's Inferno"), then the crew of the Palomino are guided by an angel through Heaven. Eventually they emerge from a white hole into what appears to be a new universe.

The film doesn't make it clear if the crew is literally journeying through Heaven and Hell, or if they've entered another dimension.

In Alan Dean Foster's novelization of the film, Kate's ESP links the minds of the Palomino's crew and allows them to survive (after a fashion) as the atoms of their bodies diffuse and are scattered throughout the universe.

One comic book adaptation of the film bypasses the whole issue of what happens inside the black hole by having the crew enter the black hole on one page and emerging apparently unharmed on the next page into a universe where they encounter alternate versions of Reinhardt, Old B.O.B. and Maximillian."
          I have those comics in my collection from when i was a kid. A weird movie but it has it's moments.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I always took it as Reinhart being sent to hell imprisoned in Maximillian.

As for the "Beyond the Black Hole" comics, they were something else.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
              Banned
              • Oct 17, 2007

i always thought he was getting save by Maximillian and they where off to some other planet. Maybe to get re-made into a sequel in the later years

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                • Nov 21, 2007

Maybe to get re-made into a sequel in the later years
                Can you imagine it...what would they call it?
                Blacker hole
                Black Hole v Tron
                Back to the Black
                BH2-The Cannibolisation of Vincent
                A Hole Lot Better
                Max in Space

and i'm spent...

Any suggestions anyone...

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
                  Banned
                  • Oct 17, 2007

in this political climate we really can't say " black" anymore can we...< looking for jessie )

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                    • Nov 21, 2007

Erm....Ethnic hole sounds too much like a blaxploitation movie though....

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by PCofmisfittoys
                      in this political climate we really can't say " black" anymore can we...< looking for jessie )
                      They haven't changed the names of Black Holes. Their still BLACK in Astronomy.

Comment

• monkey tennis
                        "Kiss my face."
                        • Jun 8, 2007

Back in Black
                        Black Holes
                        Black Whole
                        Max to the Black
                        Return to the Black Hole
                        or
                        The Black Hole 2
                        "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Black Hole Sun, won't you come .........

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            • Nov 21, 2007

Black where we belong
                            Black home
                            Hole lotta loving
                            the hole truth
                            Black to the Future
                            Black hole down

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Digging this back up because they just showed it today on TCM. Where ever Reinhardt wind ups,the Humanoids are there with them. At least that's who it looks like marching behind him.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎