X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twiki1979
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 21, 2009

Mego Meet 2011 - A Virgins Prospective

I wanted to attend a meet for a few years now but the stars just never lined up for me to attend until this year when i finally said i'm going...no matter what. After a total MESS with the rental car company on friday I didn't make it out to wheeling until 2:30 am Saturday Morning....I'm sure i missed alot I got there early on Saturday Morning,got my badge and was overjoyed with all the mego goodness inside...super nice people,a few old friends from back home and some new people i'll look forward to seeing again next year

This show is special...I go to a ton of shows all year long and nothing is quite like the mego meet. There is alot of love in the room..not only for the toys but the people around each other. Doc Mego is like that cool uncle you have that you see on christmas who can wow you with all kinds of awesome stories....MegoCrazy is my mego bro from back home who is always there to answer any questions i have about parts and can always point you in the right direction.

There are so many cool people at this show...I didn't get to experience the meet the right way both days but in the few hours i was there on saturday i got to talk with Brue who is a really nice guy and I was PSYCHED to finally get a complete wondergirl !! and a couple cool SI customs.... I spent most of my time at blue meanies table who really should have just had an atm machine on the side of it One guy bought 2 boxed figures,then my mego bro from back home BatmanMC bought 3 figures and I bought 3 figures and 2 batmobiles....all within a few minutes!! ahhh the joy of mego....Blue Meanie is AWESOME! Thanks for adding to my collection and for the conversation....can't wait to spend some more money with you

TYPE3TOYS makes unbelievable customs...like none ive ever seen...beautiful stuff....anyone who hasn't seen his work really needs to.

For me the total highlight on top of all the other highlights was Art a.k.a. MegoMilk doing the sketches....I ADORE his artwork and now have a few beautiful sketches framed and soon to be on display in my toy room and my daughter was thrilled with her krypto and ace sketches....This guy went ABOVE AND BEYOND for anyone and everyone who was there and asked for a sketch.....on top of being a super nice guy and friendly to everyone.

Which brings me back to what i said about the meet being "different"....most toy shows i go to are pretty cold events....you go,the dealers could care less to even look at you much less sell you anything,everything in the place is based around the almighty dollar and there is very little interaction other than go,shop,leave....The Meet is like an old school Italian family gathering where you can just happen to buy a boxed iron man if you so wish....everyone was super nice to my daughter,her sheriff captain america was on display in the kitbash contest and she had just as much fun as i did.

I was amazed i got beat out by a "wife" on the meet poster...that was too funny....after the auctioneer said wives have no place in a toy auction...i get beat out by a wife....go figure

in closing...YOU ALL ROCK...what you do in wheeling once a year is about the coolest toy related thing i have ever been to....I will tell everyone who has a love for Mego that they MUST attend the meet....it's worth it from anywhere.

Thanks for the great time....see ya in 2012
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Twiki1979
    This show is special...I go to a ton of shows all year long and nothing is quite like the mego meet. There is alot of love in the room..not only for the toys but the people around each other.....

Which brings me back to what i said about the meet being "different"....most toy shows i go to are pretty cold events....you go,the dealers could care less to even look at you much less sell you anything,everything in the place is based around the almighty dollar and there is very little interaction other than go,shop,leave....The Meet is like an old school Italian family gathering where you can just happen to buy a boxed iron man if you so wish....everyone was super nice to my daughter,her sheriff captain america was on display in the kitbash contest and she had just as much fun as i did.
    You hit the nil on the head.

Awesome getting to meet you. Glad you were able to find a lot of things you wanted

Comment

• TheBigToyAuction.com
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jun 1, 2011

Originally posted by Twiki1979
      I was amazed i got beat out by a "wife" on the meet poster...that was too funny....after the auctioneer said wives have no place in a toy auction...i get beat out by a wife....go figure

in closing...YOU ALL ROCK...what you do in wheeling once a year is about the coolest toy related thing i have ever been to....I will tell everyone who has a love for Mego that they MUST attend the meet....it's worth it from anywhere.

Thanks for the great time....see ya in 2012
      Just to be clear for those who weren't there, and may not have known that we were joking - It wasn't "wives have no place in a toy auction," it was "there are no wives at an Auction."

There's an old saying in my business "There are no friends or family at an Auction," and for the most part that's true. We try to keep everyone in the action of bidding without collusion or distraction or thoughts of anything else but getting that item into their hands no matter the price. We do our best to keep a bidder's eyes on the item up for sale rather than on their spouse's potential scowl as the price goes up and up (unless of course she's pushing you to buy something - then *of course* there are wives at auctions )

To be clear though, just so we don't risk offending anyone, there is *absolutely* a place for wives at an auction. In fact, without my wife I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do what I do. She is a *huge* part of the reason I do what I do, and probably the main reason I've been successful at it. Without her this past weekend, I doubt much of my part in this past week's auction would have been possible.

For the record, we are always happy to have wives at an auction - espcially if they are bidding - and all are welcome at any of our sales (except killer robots from the future - we have to draw the line somewhere)!
      Join us Live at our next live-Auction event! and bid on all your favorite toys! Real Auctions. Real Auctioneers. Real Great deals on the Toys You Want!

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

twiki as always a pleasure to see you. glad you got the stuff from berto. mike

Comment

• MegoWilly
          • Jun 13, 2011

Mego Meet

I to was a MegoMeet Virgin. The event overall was nice but the event was cramped. I did get a few new aquisitions and found more repros and customs than I did vintage. I was hoping to do some trading but nobody was interested and the only one that was kinda tried to "railroad" me for a vintage Isis and Cmdr. Keonig trade for a vintage Andorian but I did like the talent I saw there.

Comment

• stabilio
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 10, 2002

Originally posted by MegoWilly
            I to was a MegoMeet Virgin. The event overall was nice but the event was cramped. I did get a few new aquisitions and found more repros and customs than I did vintage. I was hoping to do some trading but nobody was interested and the only one that was kinda tried to "railroad" me for a vintage Isis and Cmdr. Keonig trade for a vintage Andorian but I did like the talent I saw there.
            Sorry your first experience wasn't what you had hoped for. Post a couple of pictures of your Koenig and Isis and ask for opinions on value and then maybe reevaluate your "railroad" remark.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by MegoWilly
              glad you could make it. and nice to talk to you breifly.

i don't know of many trades at mego meet. it is usually just buying and selling. most trades i make aren't things of big value. the trades i made: a shoe for an leg, a decal for a 1990 Thing figure, a power girl figure for a beater Kirk. The thing is - none of those were really trades. The folks just gave me stuff. Later when they wanted to buy something, I just gave it to them. There was no premeditated trade.

now if someone had been looking for your items pecifically you probably would have had success.

you should come again next year and just take in the atmosphere and not worry about trades or selling.

Comment

• MegoWilly
                • Jun 13, 2011

Agree

Oh I agree completely all, now that I know WHAT to expect and HOW much cash to bring I will be better prepared but I feel I did GREAT with $40.00 to spend. I REALLY liked the accessory boxes ( Handful for $2.00) I got a lot of ST stuff that would have cost $60.00 from Dr. Mego...and his stuff breaks easily. I will post mt Keonig and Isis soon.

Comment

• THE FALCON
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 2, 2011

Hope to make it sometime.

Comment

• Duncan
                    Museum focus-groupie
                    • Jun 27, 2009

Trades can be done - just propose something to get the ball rolling. I swapped a nice Conan with mostly repro accessories for a retro Captain Cold and some Trek customs. We were both pretty happy with the deal, and it was one of the highlights of my Meet.

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

I don't find Doc Mego's stuff to break easily, with the possible rare exception of certain handcasted stuff which is generally meant only for display. And not trying to jump on you, but saying something like that without someone saying that Doc Mego will swap out anything broken with something new without even batting an eyelash is disingenuous. That and the "railroad" comment (which sounds more like you were unhappy someone didn't want your stuff and felt their stuff was worth more than what you offered) show me you didn't really get the spirit of MegoMeet. Hope you can reassess your opinion and come back with an open mind. Perhaps show up on Friday night when the actual "swap meet" portion of the event is happening, break bread (or pizza) with your fellow members, and see if their willingness to trade with you changes a bit, especially on items valued objectively.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎