X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEMEGO
    Career Member
    • Sep 6, 2007

lets bring the meet to nyc for next year

I would love to have Mego Meet held in the Big Apple next year 2012 so I say bring it to NYC what ya all say??
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Uhmmm.....it wouldn't be Mego Meet if it weren't in Wheeling. I'm not just saying that because I am a local, either. It's all about the venue.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

Mego Meet can be held anywhere in the world. It is kind'a up to Museum members to organize Meets of their own if they want one closer to where they live, (if you live far from Wheeling, WV). If you want to have one of your own be pro-active and organize one.

Comment

• Hulk
        Mayor of Megoville
        • May 10, 2003

NYC is an unreasonably expensive place to have an event like this, despite the large concentration of members in the area. MegoCon proved that (although I know there are ways it could have been cheaper). The Toy and Train Museum affords us an unbelievable deal without any expenses, as the cost of the tickets and tables goes right to them, and is affordable to all. As I like to say, Wheeling is inconvenient for all, but doable by most that really want to do it, as the people who come from the Deep South, Northwest, and yes, the Southwest and other areas prove every year. Oh yeah, lots of people come from the NY area, so finding someone to commute with isn't unheard of. I think Doc Mego even floated the idea of renting a bus from the area.

As mentioned though, anyone can organize their own version (mini-meets so to speak). I know people meet up for the NY ComiCon as well. We'd love to see you in WV next year too.

Comment

• VintageMike
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 16, 2004

You have to look at it this way. The drive/getting there being inconvenient is a small price to pay for everything else being perfect and the trip being affordable. Someone brought up a great point over the weekend about how easy it was to get around there and what a pain that is in NYC.

Comment

• garagesale
            Dept. of Mego Studies
            • Aug 8, 2006

Originally posted by Hulk
            I think Doc Mego even floated the idea of renting a bus from the area.
            Heck, I could almost see myself flying into NYC from OKC just to ride that down with all you crazy New Yorkers! It'd be a blast.

If Doc does this, we should really think about attaching a giant net thingy to the top--seems like the best Mego vehicles all have something like that.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

My own understanding is that "Mego Meet" is the official Mego Museum event and as long as the wheeling toy museum provides the "free" venue and such reasonable priced accommodations that can be block booked by our numbers, it will continue to be held there.

Other members of the museum are free to try and organize their own mego gatherings that are NOT called "Mego Meet" (just to avoid confusion). Given how much work all the volunteers and museum staff put into this event, it's quite honestly easier said than done.

My suggestion would be to put a call out to members in your area to gather together in a restaurant or pub, get live social dynamic going first without the hassles of a show. If there are sufficient numbers... Perhaps then you can think about organizing something. Probably as an add-on to an existing local show.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 13, '11, 11:31 AM.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by MEMEGO
                I would love to have Mego Meet held in the Big Apple next year 2012 so I say bring it to NYC what ya all say??
                I'm sure if you wanted to organize a meeting of members in NYC you would get some response and attendees. Maybe do it around the NYCC as there are usually 10-15 members that attend that each year any way.

As HULK made point of Wheeling is where it's at, at least for one weekend out of the year. Even with the closest airport being in Pittsburgh, you still get to the hotel faster than you would in NY. I made it from my plane to the hotel in about an hour and that was with getting the rental car. There were about 12 people in the Pittsburgh airport when I arrived.

I personally would say arrange it away from the date of the Meet. The cost of the hotel rooms for 3 days in WV is cheaper than the cost of a hotel room in NYC for one night. You're talking at least $200 a night with all the taxes, in NYC. $600 for three nights. I did rooms, round trip airfare, meals, and 4 days of car rental for about that in Wheeling. Low cost, no traffic, extremely laid back area, hotel and the restaurants treat us well, Kruger Museum offers us everything we could ask for. On a cost level you could never compete with Wheeling holding it in NYC. I'm sure Chris can give you some exact numbers from the Con as mentioned above.

The stress I endure attending the NYCC for one day is no where near what I get in Wheeling for 4 days. Sure I'm tired, 3-4 hours a night will do that to you, but the hassle of NY would be way to aggravating IMHO.

What did you find wrong with Wheeling when you attended the Meet?
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 6, 2006

This was my first meet and the only thing I could see that might be a problem is that there were a lot of people there. If it continues to grow, they may need to look for a larger hall. Otherwise, it was fantastic fun. Fun ride from Michigan.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by johnmiic
                    Mego Meet can be held anywhere in the world. It is kind'a up to Museum members to organize Meets of their own if they want one closer to where they live, (if you live far from Wheeling, WV). If you want to have one of your own be pro-active and organize one.
                    Well, sometimes that might not go as well as you'd like. The first one Hector and I organized was small and intimate, but the one Sandy is planning was supposed to be this big cool event and is now ending up small and intimate. I'm not sure about the ones MattelMike planned. But, I think the Wheeling one has been going on for awhile, it's official and it's tradition. These offshoots in other states sadly will probably never be as popular.
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by megocrazy
                      The cost of the hotel rooms for 3 days in WV is cheaper than the cost of a hotel room in NYC for one night. You're talking at least $200 a night with all the taxes, in NYC. $600 for three nights. I did rooms, round trip airfare, meals, and 4 days of car rental for about that in Wheeling.
                      Don't forget Chuck, we charge people just for looking at bridges in NYC.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Having it in or around big cities is fine for closeness and convenience for some members, but it makes it way more expensive for the majority.

Megofred will be happy because he can go home that night.

MegoJerry will be unhappy because he has to pay $300.00+ for hotel room.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by garagesale
                          Heck, I could almost see myself flying into NYC from OKC just to ride that down with all you crazy New Yorkers! It'd be a blast.

If Doc does this, we should really think about attaching a giant net thingy to the top--seems like the best Mego vehicles all have something like that.

JamesD
                          ok so i am totally off topic and hijacking this thread (this old horse needs to be hijacked anyway)

How impractical is a steel trap hanging from teh front of a vw bus?

so robin is driving along at penguin's running pace? can batman not run that fast? if penguin stumbles or robin blinks won't he run down the penguin? if he gets close enough to use the net won't he run down penguin? he would have to release the net and slam on the brakes simultaneously, right? why a vw bus? i love them but there has to be a nicer vehicle for a billionaire superhero than a creeping roadblock.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            Well, sometimes that might not go as well as you'd like. The first one Hector and I organized was small and intimate, but the one Sandy is planning was supposed to be this big cool event and is now ending up small and intimate. I'm not sure about the ones MattelMike planned. But, I think the Wheeling one has been going on for awhile, it's official and it's tradition. These offshoots in other states sadly will probably never be as popular.
                            Keep in mind that these kind of events aren't built in a day. There has been steady growth to Mego Meet. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that first Mego Meet in the year following NY's Mego Con was a much more intimate event than what it's grown to over half a decade (there are only eight guys who have attended all the events). There has also been much trial and error as well is my understanding. Things like the Mego Suite, the Mego Racing tradition, the Custom Contest are all extensions of that.

If you, Hec, Sandy, Jessica and the rest of the Left Coasters keep at it, I'm sure a community will spring up just as it has in this end of the country. That is a really strong base for your own version of "the 8" for a California gathering.

Make us envious enough of the fun and shenanigans you have this year, and I'm sure you'd have many of us hopping planes the following year to join in. I have to admit that I would love a double shot of Mego gathering goodness twice a year.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• trekman101
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 6, 2009

NYC might be fine in theory but is so impracticable in reality it would be a major pain in the ***
                              "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎