X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Anybody watching the E3 coverage?

Microsoft was first. Wow, did that suck. Even more than I thought it would. It was actually so bad it was depressing.

Aside from Gears and the Halo remake it's nothing but Kinect shovelware this year. The absolute lowest point for me was Molyneux turning Fable into an on the rails shooter you control by flailing your hands around. That was a huge middle finger from MS and Molyneux to Fable fans and core gamers. What a kick in the crotch.

I bought the 360 to play games. Not rent movies, watch TV or play on the rails shovelware. At least there's still Halo and Gears.

Hopefully Sony's will be better. Gonna be hard to be worse.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 6, '11, 5:23 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I'm interested in what Nintendo has to say. The rumor is the 3DS store update goes in tonight.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Sony's conference was really good.

For starters thet showed you can do motion gaming and not have it be on the rails shovelware. Uncharted and Resistance look amazing. The biggest thing of course was the Vita. Amazing tech and power in that thing for $249 for the wifi and $299 for the 3G version. Kinda makes me regret spending $250 on the 3DS. There still isn't much in the way for games on that thing.

I'm hoping Nintendo will wow me with their new console.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
        WANTED for card bending
        • Apr 26, 2008

Nintendo Press conference is a half hour away, i think they will easily crush the other presentations. when Nintendo starts losing money, (which they have the past 2 years) they usually come out swinging! A new system is always big news....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Microsoft was first. Wow, did that suck. Even more than I thought it would. It was actually so bad it was depressing.

Aside from Gears and the Halo remake it's nothing but Kinect shovelware this year. The absolute lowest point for me was Molyneux turning Fable into an on the rails shooter you control by flailing your hands around. That was a huge middle finger from MS and Molyneux to Fable fans and core gamers. What a kick in the crotch.

I bought the 360 to play games. Not rent movies, watch TV or play on the rails shovelware. At least there's still Halo and Gears.
          Agree, My Son was losing it but i thought why the hell do I want to watch movies or tv through the Xbox i wanna play games....

My Daughter wants that Disney game that you go through the park she lost it when she saw it.....

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
            Nintendo Press conference is a half hour away, i think they will easily crush the other presentations. when Nintendo starts losing money, (which they have the past 2 years) they usually come out swinging! A new system is always big news....
            Nintendo's conference wasn't that great.

The 3DS has come closer to redeeming itself with a strong line up of first party games. Unfortunately many only have a vague late 2011 release date.

The WiiU disappointed me.

I was hoping for a true successor and we got an incremental upgrade to the Wii with a tablet for a gamepad. I know they are claiming they are aiming to be more inclusive to the traditional or core gamer with the WiiU. But they can't seem to grasp people are not going to want to control games like Call of Duty with a tablet. That's not going to be comfortable to hold and it's going to be really awkward to reach all the buttons and triggers. At least the sheer size of the thing by default will cut down on all the waggle and shaking.

We are also left with questions like what are the true specs? Does it have a hard drive? What's the price? How's the online? Graphically how does it really compare with the PS3 and 360? It's HD. But is it 720 or 1080?
            Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 7, '11, 1:13 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
              WANTED for card bending
              • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Nintendo's conference wasn't that great.

The 3DS has come closer to redeeming itself with a strong line up of first party games. Unfortunately many only have a vague late 2011 release date.

The WiiU disappointed me.

We are also left with questions like what are the true specs? Does it have a hard drive? What's the price? How's the online? Graphically how does it really compare with the PS3 and 360? It's HD. But is it 720 or 1080?
              I think the big N delivered! Wii U is adding something that has eluded games this generation... INNOVATION! that controller would kick butt on COD add in a drone now, or the RC on the screen and allow you to see if you are going to get tagged! The price and specs (or lack of) was a dissappointment, but there are pics and links at nintendo's website. It seems way more useful and less gimmicky. and in sweet HD!!!
              I think 3ds needed strong software, and some of these titles make me want one.....

MS conference was all kinect and 3rd party stuff.....yawn.
              Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Jun 7, '11, 1:44 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

"Innovation" is subjective. Forcing me to control games like, Zelda or Metroid Prime, with an Ipad tablet is an irritant to me, not innovation. Hopefully they will offer a new classic controller with rumble and true analog sticks. I want precision control. Not more gimmicks.

Nintendo doesn't have the trademark on innovation and there's been all kinds of game play, online and tech innovations this gen that didn't revolve around waggle. Nintendo still lags tremedously behind both Sony and MS in modern gaming innovations like online.

I'm a first gen Ninty fan from the NES days. I grew up with Nintendo games. I'm an early adopter of Nintendo products. But still I don't give them a free pass just because they are Nintendo. I praise and criticise them when they deserve it. Control gimmicks can be fun to a point but aren't the end all be all to me. Nintendo is increasingly annoying and frustrating me on their insistance of gimmicks as selling points of their games and underpowered systems.

Edit

I just read the WiiU will not have a hard drive or be able to use one. It will have some pre-installed flash memory and have the option to use memory sticks. I think shooter fans can forget downloading additional maps and levels. You can get a PS3 with a 320 gig hard drive and a 360 with a 250 gig. But the WiiU has internal flash memory and the option to use an SD card! Wheeee!!!!
                Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 7, '11, 2:47 PM.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                  WANTED for card bending
                  • Apr 26, 2008

I hate the fact that they went overboard with the wii controller, playing Rogue trooper on wii just made the game irritating, due to the overdone control scheme. I think Nintendo learned that many of us don't want to swing and flail our arms to play a game. That's what they meant by listening to us....

as for memory sticks, i prefer them to Hard Drive, they are more reliable, and also more readily availible.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                    WANTED for card bending
                    • Apr 26, 2008

hey nintendo just posted more info on Wii U, it CAN use a usb hard drive!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

It was also revealed that the footage of 3rd party games shown were actually from 360 and ps3 games and the games shown may or may not even end up being developed for or released on the WiiU. Nintendo stocks also took a dive after the announcement of the WiiU. I guess I wasn't the only person disappointed.

I wanted Nintendo to come out swinging. I wanted to love the new console. I was hoping the rumored name of just calling it "Nintendo" was true. I was hoping they'd finally release a true hardware successor and return to their glory days of the NES and Super NES.

Instead we got another incremental upgrade, with another gimmick controller and another system with a stupid cringe worthy sounding name. Don't make the gimmick controller standard. Make it an option like the PS3 and 360 does. Pack the damn thing with a regular frickin controller with true dual analog sticks.

A year from now Nintendo will release a system which is roughly on par graphically with systems that came out 7 years before it. Too damn little. Too damn late. MS and Sony will obviously soon after follow suit with their new systems and Nintendo will be in the same position all over again. Stuck with antiquated hardware 3rd party developers wont touch.

I will always be a Nintendo fan. I love their Mario, Zelda and Metroid (except for the god awful Other M) games series. But their consoles will never be the main go to consoles again like during the NES and Super NES era. It will be the system you dust off every so often when the new Mario or Zelda games come out. Everything else will be played on either the MS or Sony consoles.
                      Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 9, '11, 1:01 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                        WANTED for card bending
                        • Apr 26, 2008

I can remember the last time I used my wii....when Punch Out came out! I hope they do well, they make the best first party titles.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the Wii U can only handle one tablet controller at a time. No Ipad controller for player 2.

E3 2011: Wii U Designed for One - Wii News at IGN
                          Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 9, '11, 8:04 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• MegoSteve
                            Superman's Pal
                            • Jun 17, 2005

I didn't watch the major presentations as they happened, but I found this year's E3 to be pretty darned boring. MS spent too much time on Kinect, which I couldn't really care less about. Sony was pretty decent (Uncharted 3 looks amazing), and their handheld looks good for the price, but I'm not interested in handheld gaming at all, so meh. Nintendo's kind of a joke at this point WiiU's controller is interesting, but it's also really gimmicky, and their insistence on keeping hard drives out is a little goofy when it seems like the game industry may be transitioning to an all-download model in the future.

I guess my issue is generally that we're pushing six years into this generation of consoles and it seems like it's about time for something entirely new instead of the incremental upgrades they've been presenting. WiiU just doesn't cut it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                              MS spent too much time on Kinect, which I couldn't really care less about.
                              I am in totally agreement. Kinect is fine for the casual players and casual games. But don't spend damn near the whole bloody show on it. Kinect Sesame Street got more time than Halo.

That being said, the Sesame Street and Disney Parks games were fine. Four and five year olds need games too. But the Kinect "core" games were complete garbage. Ryse was a joke. Throwing gobs of blood at on the rails shovelware doesn't make something a core game. I am not going to headbutt the air to play a damn game. Absolutely asinine.

But by far Fable the Journey, again, was the biggest middle finger from MS. Making an action RPG an on the rails shooter you play by flailing your hands around is NOT a core game. I've read Molyneux is now trying to claim Journey is not on the rails after the abysmal reaction the game got. But who the hell is he kidding? When you can't directly control your character the damn thing is on rails. No analog sticks equals on the rails. Just be honest about it. But then Molyneux has styled himself as a bit of PT Barnum of gaming with his overpromsing and underdelivering.

MS needs to let go of their tired you are the controller mantra for the Kinect and actually incorporate the thing to be used along side the regular controller in a meaningful way. Calling out orders to your squad, like in Mass Effect 3, is a small step in the right direction. But you really could do the same thing with a headset.
                              Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 9, '11, 7:48 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎