X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Best NES clone?

My NES is in the throws of death and I'm honestly tired of blowing on the stupid thing to get it to work so I've been thinking about picking up one of those new clone systems. I know there are loads of them out there and none of them are perfect because they are all the NES on a chip design. I was wondering which are people's favs. I'm looking for a nice mix of quality and price. I don't want something really cheap and junky that will break right away and I don't want to spend so much I might as well hunt down a real NES toploader.
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 29, '11, 1:22 AM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Picked up a Hyperkin FC Mobile 2 today. It works as an NES portable and you can plug it into your TV and use it as a regular NES system. The controllers are wireless, which is nice, but the range isn't too far. The screen is a little small but it is nice and clear. The unit itself is fairly small and the cartridges stick out quite a bit. But it works really well so far and even plays my copy of Castlevania III, which is notorious for not working on these clones, without a problem.
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 29, '11, 5:37 PM. Reason: typos as usual
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

Cool. Where did you find it?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I see its on Amazon.
      Last edited by pmwasson; May 29, '11, 6:48 PM. Reason: answered
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I've been replaying Castlevania 3 some more and you tend to forget how freakin' hard it is and how much I loath those Medusa heads.

Comment

• domino
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 16, 2007

I might have to look into one of these. My NES is about done. I might end up going with the Retron 1 NES System.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by domino
            I might end up going with the Retron 1 NES System.
            I've heard those are supposed to be pretty nice. I'm probably gonna pick up one of those too and use my FC Mobile strictly as a portable.

Oh! I found a easy NES fix tutorial online you might want to try.

Repairing Your NES - Classic Gaming

It sounds like the problem with a lot of the NES systems not working anymore is actually with the connector pins. After awhile they get squished down and don't get a good connection anymore and that's why the games flash or won't load.

I had insomnia last night, thought what the heck, took my NES apart and tried it. So, I took the whole darn thing apart and took the cartridge connector thingie off the mother board and gently bent the pins back up. To make a long story short: After getting, somehow, the whole mess back together and plugged it in it actually did work. Not like new or anything. But it would play the beat up used games I got that the FC Mobile can't. Oddly enough, though, it still won't play the new minty games the FC Mobile has no problem with.

So, I guess, I squeezed a little more life out of it at least. Oh, yeah, I also took apart the control pad and cleaned the contacts. I had bought my NES used years ago, and holy crap, was that controller dirty inside. It was, like, someone ralphed in it or something. Yuck! Kinda grossess me out thinking about all the years I used it like that. I mean I scrubbed it clean on the outside when I got but had no clue they could get that dirty on the inside. Nasty, nasty business.

Comment

• domino
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 16, 2007

I might have to take mine apart and see if I can repair it after I buy the other system. I bought a used one as well back in 1999 and it was filthy. I never took the system apart but I did take the controllers apart and they were nasty. Dust, hair, some kind of Doritio chip and so on. Mine does that flashing thing quite a bit. I see that they sell replacement pins to put in but I would rather try to fix mine if I can. I will have to check that link out.

I really regret selling my system back in the late 80's. My brother and I had over 200 games and kept everything nice as could be. Then the Genesis came out and we had to jump on it. Now for the last 10+ years I have been trying to rebuild that NES collection. I just enjoy the old games so much more than these new ones.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by domino
                I really regret selling my system back in the late 80's. My brother and I had over 200 games and kept everything nice as could be. Then the Genesis came out and we had to jump on it. Now for the last 10+ years I have been trying to rebuild that NES collection.
                I did something very similar.

I traded in my original NES, which I had bought new and was perfect, after I got the SNES. After a while I started to miss my old games. So, I ending up getting a used one at my local used video game store. Probably paid more for the beat up thing than I got for trading in my minty one with the box. I still kinda regret that. Ah, well.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                  WANTED for card bending
                  • Apr 26, 2008

I used to repair NES consoles back when they were hot, and guess what? it's an easy fix! get a new 72 pin connector, and the nes will work like new. The clones do not play all games. NEVER EVER BLOW ON YOUR CARTRIDGES! they will work for a day or so, but in the long run you are making it worse, the metals in your breath make the cart work with a temporary connection but they oxidize, and that gets into the pins. It's an easy fix, if you can turn a screwdriver, you can fis your NES. Keep an eye out, I am going to sell my nes carts collection shortly, all cleaned and working, some complete in the box! remember blowing on cartridges BAD!

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
                    The clones do not play all games. NEVER EVER BLOW ON YOUR CARTRIDGES! they will work for a day or so, but in the long run you are making it worse, the metals in your breath make the cart work with a temporary connection but they oxidize, and that gets into the pins.
                    Good to know. I thought I was just blowing dust out of the system. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                      WANTED for card bending
                      • Apr 26, 2008

yeah i use a 2 part cleaning system, you can get them off ebay. one is a swabby paste and the other is a spray. after doing both you will be SHOCKED to see yow much dirt comes off of them.

Comment

• boynightwing
                        That Carl Guy
                        • Apr 24, 2002

I set my Super NES back up a few weeks ago. I have to hunt all over the house to find what I need to get the NES back together. I still can't find the controllers...

I've been thinking about getting a clone for some time.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                          WANTED for card bending
                          • Apr 26, 2008

I think by summer's end i may liquidate all of my old systems, nes ,atari, genesis, 3do, the SNES, N64, and tons of carts.

Comment

• VintageMike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 16, 2004

I have a retro duo which plays NES and SNES games and so far have only had an issue with one game. Otherwise it works great.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                              Persistent Member
                              • Oct 3, 2007

I'm a MAME fan! (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). With all the consoles I got stashed arround the house. Its easier to run this on the desktop than drag everything out of storage! I used to have it on my Palm Treo phone. To bad androids version stinks and cost money to boot!
                              Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                              MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎