Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has MM Moved More Towards A Custom Event?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Has MM Moved More Towards A Custom Event?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reading a lot of the posts here, it seems there is a growing interest among attendees with making, selling and seeing customs. I do love the work that everyone does here, but I'm not a big custom buyer. I'm more interested in getting original Mego stuff. (and, of course, seeing all my Mego buds)

Again, I see no issue with this if it is true. There is definitely no wrong or right here. I'm just debating on coming this year and was curious what the feel was.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

With new 8 inch stuff available it think it creeps that way each year, but I saw more vintage stuff than custom stuff last year... and we are probably the biggest purveyor of Custom Stuff for sale... Now the sessions tend to be way toward the Custom/New figure side of the hobby, which I think is understandable.... I think if you were purely there for vintage stuff, you'd do ok. 'sides it's the hangin with fellow Mego Peeps that makes it fun!

-Dave

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

Oh, I dare say there will be plenty of original stuff. Berto, Charlie and Ron always have good original stuff. Even I'll have some. I think the customs sessions come from the fact we've really done all the others already in past meets. We've covered 8", 3 3/4", WGSH, pocket heroes, war heroes, micronuats and more. It just seems like customs was next on the list.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Yeah, I think Berto got most of my money when I was there a few years back. I just gotta make the call tonight if I'm going buy plane tickets.
        Last edited by Wee67; May 26, '11, 4:52 PM.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

I think the fact that many of the people that attend have seen all the original mego stuff, they do look towards custom stuff. Once you've got the original stuff finished, you still need to collect something.

The custom figures seen here are great in pictures but even more amazing in person. I still think more original items sell than custom items but many customizers are displaying their wares at the Meet being that is where you would see the most appreciation.

I brought home 2 custom pieces last year but bought 10-15 AJ pieces from Jason alone that were new to my collection. I also upgraded 2 common figures and added two T2 monsters from Berto on top of my loose items that I bought to complete figures I had, whether they were doubles to sell or trade, or to complete figures in my collection.

IMO vintage is more popular but customs, have become a major part of the weekend.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Next year the theme is "Under the Sea"
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• stabilio
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 10, 2002

I don't think the customs are a bigger part this year than in any years past. Possibly if you want to figure in the custom display which, lets face it, maybe a person takes the trek upstairs to look at the displays briefly if at all. But there was a custom display element a bunch of times in the past too. And then there's the talks. OK, so maybe there were one or two on a vintage topic each year in the past. Judging by the attendance at some of those, I doubt it will be missed.

Otherwise, the actual dealer room was always chock full of both customs and original Mego from the first year. I doubt the ratio will be slanted more than in years past. In the first couple years, there was a heavy CTVT presence. Since then Castaway has joined in and the CTVT stuff has mostly disappeared. Otherwise, the tables have seemed relatively consistent to me and I doubt that will change.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Wow...do I feel embarrassed. I'm just bringing my EMCE stuff to sell this year

Just kidding...You want original stuff come by Tables Del Berto. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                  Tables Del Berto.
                  I know this place well....perhaps a bit too well.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

I wouldn't worry about the show losing focus on the real stars, it IS "Mego Meet" after all.

it's just that this year, the theme is customs.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎