Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody else here NOT play video games?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Does anybody else here NOT play video games?

I must be the only geek/nerd/whatever in the known universe who does not play and has never played video games. None of my geek friends can believe I have never owned a single video game system EVER. Not even an Atari.
    They just cannot accept it.

I don't have any apps on my cell phone, don't have an iPod or a Playstation or whatever people use these days. At age 39, I have never played a single video game in my life. I have zero interest in them. All my geek money goes to toys, comics and DVD's.
  • MicromanZone
    Banned
    • Apr 26, 2011

I can believe it. But maybe not. Here’s my deal: I got an Atari 400 when I was 13 in 1981 and played video games by crazy. I stopped really caring about video-games by 1985. And while I played Tetris on Macs at the college newspaper and pumped some quarters into video games at the student union building, I really could care less about games. It was a distraction and not much else.

But nowadays it’s weird. I meet up with old friends I used to know back in the day, and they expect me to be as passionate about video games now as I was then. It’s really annoying because I have had one or two times I have been at a bar, talking, enjoying myself when someone comes up and goes “Hey! There is a Ms. Pac Man!” as if I suddenly need to drop what I am doing to play. Sorry, that was the 1980s... I’ve moved on.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>I must be the only geek/nerd/whatever in the known universe who does not play and has never played video games.

Yup. Given their ubiquitousness it's strange that you never played one, ever. Unless you're Amish.

>I stopped really caring about video-games by 1985.

I can see that. After a certain amount of play, the novelty wears off and you lose interest; like anything else. I used to enjoy them a lot; but haven't played so much for a long time. The last system I got was the original Playstation. I stopped there 'cos all the newer stuff plays a lot like the older stuff so there isn't too much novelty for me.

Don C.

Comment

• gummi
        Career Member
        • Dec 2, 2009

I've honestly never known anyone under the age of 80 that has never played a video game, geek or not. Seriously, not even Pong when you were a kid? To me, it's like saying that you've never seen television. I don't mean to bust your chops, but it amazes me that anyone from our generation could have avoided all contact with video games. Aren't you at least a little curious what all the fuss is about?
        Last edited by gummi; May 17, '11, 4:32 AM.
        "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I have a plug and play Space Invaders game, and that is it, no interest in Wii or whatever. I had an Atari back in the 70's as a kid.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Nope. I love 'em.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by gummi
              I've honestly never known anyone under the age of 80 that has never played a video game, geek or not. Seriously, not even Pong when you were a kid? To me, it's like saying that you've never seen television. I don't mean to bust your chops, but it amazes me that anyone from our generation could have avoided all contact with video games. Aren't you at least a little curious what all the fuss is about?
              I suppose a lot of it had to do with my parents, who were both workaholics and had my sister and I working all the time on our farm. Chores before and after school, yard work all summer long and cleaning out the barn every spring vacation. They were not big on us kids being "entertained" as they called it. Their answer was always "You don't NEED to see that movie" or "You don't NEED to watch TV."

We never owned a color TV til 1983 I think, and never owned a VCR at all or had cable. I saw two movies the whole time I was growing up...nine years apart. Empire Strikes Back and Batman. Comics were the one thing I could afford to buy myself with my measely $1.50 a week allowance, so I had a ton of those. That is why I collect now. I'm buying everything I ever wanted as a kid but never had.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

I hate them. My kids have all the crap, XBox, Wii, the hand held stuff. It just bores me to death. Want to destoy a childs imagination and overall health and fitness level, just give them a video game. Why do anything for real when you can do it on the sofa with a bag of chips?
                LOOK
                Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

To have never played one at all is pretty unique.

I've played very little, and not much since high school. I remember asking a junior high friend who was really good at Defender how he got that way and he explained how many quarters he had fed into the machine and I lost interest.

There's a lot of art job listings in the area for game companies. They all say "Must have a passion for games" and so I never apply.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I haven't played much since I was young. I agree in that it truly almost unheard of to say that you have never played a single game. I only had one gaming system as a kid which was a Mattel Intellivision and played it quite a bit but not like an obssession. As an adult, I have played some of the Wii Sports games with my kids and I enjoyed a WWII game (an older one) and can't think of the name of it. The only video game I have played recently (around Christmas time) was Wii Jeopardy which my kids bought for me as a Xmas gift (I love the gameshow). Other than that, I play a couple of games of Kiss pinball once in a while, catch up on reading, or movies I have never seen. My weeks are so busy that I usually have one evening (Friday night) to carve out time for myself and I usually end up catching up on a good book.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                      • Oct 8, 2007

I play very few video games. I still like Age of Empires, but I avoid most games because they are cool enough that I would lose weeks of my life playing them, and surely regret it later.
                      "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

Does popcorn blaster count? Cause that's what I play now. And I still love Tetris. Something about fitting those pieces together and making the blocks disappear feels very rewarding to me even though it's a waste of time.
                        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

I played casually as a kid. Never got hooked. Would rather spend my quarters on toys, comics and music at the time. Now, I don't play at all, except an occasional round of Wii or something.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

I did play centipede for a bit. When we were stuck on a 15 hour flight to Dubai, the Emirates had centipede as one of their videogames. Each seat had its own video on demand and games on demand. I played that game until I got so sick of it.
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I have never played a videogame.
                              Too stressful....
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎