X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Rocket Robin Hood bites the dust!

Well, it's now official. Time Warner's Canadian branch has decided to walk away from the Rocket Robin Hood license. Rumors swirl citing difficulties dealing with the licensing agents.

For those of you who were anxiously awaiting the collected episodes DVD set, well...it's toast too. So is a line of RRH merchandise that was in the works (including Mego styled figures).

Why are all of Canadas classic super heros treated so poorly? Nelvana wont do anything with the old Bell superheroes....the other golden age heroes are tied up in a mire of uncertainty involving who owns the copyrights.....and now RRH is being held back from being re-presented to a new generation!

.....I guess he's still slated to appear on Teletoons new channel (whenever that shows up?).
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Captain

.....I guess he's still slated to appear on Teletoons new channel (whenever that shows up?).
    Bummer on the other stuff but my kids have been watching it on Retro for two months.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Man, I was really looking forward to that, too. Dang greedy liscense guys. The one chace to make some money off it and they blow it.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

I'm telling you it makes me sick sometimes when garbage like this happens.I sure would like to share this with my kids,they ask me all the time what kind of cartoons I watched as a kid.Old Canadian shows get no respect I tell you.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• saildog
          Permanent Member
          • Apr 9, 2006

Rocket Robin Hood DVD news: Canadian DVDs Cancelled | TVShowsOnDVD.com

That sucks.

I know it is not even remotely the same, but I kind of got a kick out of the episodes up on YouTube.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I hate that! That is a seriies I haven't seen since the reruns in the early 70's. One of the great cartoons in it's day next to Spidey (Yep, I know Bakshi did seasons two and three of that one and borrowed RRH backdrops for many episodes). How wonderful it would be to see a cleaned up version fo that series. Does anyone know if the series has even been cleaned up the way the '67 Spider-man series was?

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

Teletoon Retro is out already......I've been waiting for my provider (Shaw cable) to list it since September???

There are bootleg discs out there, but I dont think anybody else ever released videos or DVD's in an official capacity. I do know the license owner actually paid to do English only clean ups (or whatever they do) of the series himself, and was using that as an incentive to get things moving forward. A company called Sandra Carter Global did the work, and were also pitching the show for syndication.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I find stuff like this insanely interesting; not 'cos of the legal issues, but because of fan reactions. Rocket Robin Hood was a HORRIBLE show! (I've been told tales of how the animators would slap something together so as to not cut into drinking time....) And yet; a LOT of folks absolutely love it! Something about it goes beyond the show itself. Nostalgia maybe? Patterning by people who were too young to know better when they first saw it? Some universal cartoon constant....?

Whatever it is, I've seen it before. Daleks and Baltan became instant hits. Superman was a fave right away. SOMETHING struck a chord... and this mysterious something seems to go beyond quality and effort. (New comics are very pretty; and almost unreadable.)

If only I could isolate this trait....

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Rocket Robin Hood was a HORRIBLE show!
                  In your opinion of course, the early shows are actually of higher quality and on par with the first season of Spider-Man. The later Ralph Bashki "I have no budget" shows are pretty much pure nostalgia than their substance.

I have a pile of cels and sketchs somewhere here, nice stuff.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Surfsup
                    Silver Chrome Dome
                    • Dec 2, 2005

That show is a blast from the past, I had no idea it was Canadian. They used to show it here a lot when I was a kid, it would have been cool to see it again.

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>In your opinion of course, the early shows are actually of higher quality and on par with the first season of Spider-Man.

Well.... from a technical point of view, Rocket Robin was an INCREDIBLY cheaply done show. The characters went off model a lot (Robin himself has three different facial designs) the art was rough, and the animation....

But even so; there WAS something enjoyable about it. Like I said, there seems to be SOMETHING that goes beyond the technical that embeds things in the minds of the audience. I gotta admit, I kinda like Rocket Robin myself. (Y'know... a Mego Mr Fantastic is pretty close....)

>The later Ralph Bashki "I have no budget" shows are pretty much pure nostalgia than their substance.

I'd heard that the OPPOSITE was true; that Bakshi kinda tightened things up a bit when he was on it. Weird. But yeah, at that time the budget was cut. Hence them re-using two Spiderman episodes, frame for frame. (When I was a kid I thought it was some weird crossover.)

Don C.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 10, 2006

holy total recall robin

I rember watching it on uhf channel 17 out of south phillie way back during the precable days back in the early70s, the only thing i recall was i was around 7 years old and liked the show and my older brother always said it was the wrost crap he ever saw

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

It's interesting that there would be so many problems with a semi-obscure show like this.
                          That's not meant as a dig against the show. I just wonder how well known it is these days.

What were the people who "control" the show thinking? CBS is going to suddenly call them with an offer to run Rocket Robin Hood in primetime? What a waste. I really like the idea of obscure stuff coming out on DVD.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I think if you were a kid through the late 60's and early 70's you were exposed to an entirely different style of programming than what you have today. Production values aside, alot of these shows, especially in the 60's were in an early stage of development from what we see today. I think shows like Spider-man and Rocket Robinhood are important subjects for that reason. These shows sparked the imagination in alot of kids who otherwise would not have had much to select from in the animation venue. There was no such thing as 24 hour programming for television (no Cartoon Network). You had, at best, four or five channels to watch and no availability of VCR's to record anything. You either saw it when it was on or you missed it. It's a bygone era that many of us fondly look back on for it's simplicity. I don't think it's reasonable to apply a modern day standard to a past era that didn't have the industry, let alone the resources or technology, to compete with shows made 40 years later. I'm glad someone took the time to preserve these pieces so we could relive them once more. We got Spiderman and that was such a fantastic moment seeing it again. I think Rocket Robinhood will also be a satisfying experience when it sees the light of day.

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

>What were the people who "control" the show thinking? CBS is going to suddenly call them with an offer to run Rocket Robin Hood in primetime?

Pretty much. Since the 90's a lot of companies have been picking up the rights to damned near EVERYTHING in the hopes that some of it'll become the next big thing to be brought back. Look at how many old shows are being "reimagined" these days. Rather than being seen as filler, like shows of this ilk USED to be; they're now seen as potential gold mines.

>I think if you were a kid through the late 60's and early 70's you were exposed to an entirely different style of programming than what you have today.

Very true; although I've heard this era referred to (by folks who WORKED on these shows) as the "time when they'd put anything on tv." I guess tv animation became a meatgrinder in a hurry; since there was so much demand in such a short time.

>I don't think it's reasonable to apply a modern day standard to a past era that didn't have the industry, let alone the resources or technology, to compete with shows made 40 years later.

Well.... I think you CAN; but you've got to be realistic about this sort of thing. Funny thing; with all the Flash-style animation, and motion capture used nowadays we're seeing tons of shows that are REMARKABLY similar to the old ones. Both in terms of production values and methodology. They may LOOK cleaner, but a lot of newer shows are only one or two steps away from "Space Angel."

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎