X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Big Jim / Ken connection?

Thought I'd run this by the experts here. On a recent thrift store excursion. I found a 70/80's ken doll. The thing that grabbed my attention was his arms were exactly like Big Jim arms. So I picked him up and flexed the arms and it had the muscle flex like a Big Jim. I didnt think too much more of it and put the doll back. I dont collect Barbie or Big Jim stuff anymore so...
    Lately though I've been thinking I should have examined it better. I didnt check to see if the arm was removable like a Big Jim's arm connection. I dont currently own any Jims to compare arm lengths. But seeing how Ken dolls are so common in thrift stores. Could this be a good source of replacement limbs for Big Jim collectors? Since Mattel made both items and often swapped accessories between Jim and Barbie. Could this be another example?

Anyway, I brought this up because I know many here are multi platform collectors and if this might help someone who is trying to restore a Big Jim or 2. I'd also like to find out more on this subject.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

I'd like to see a pic of it. only because Ken dolls are 11 inches and Jim's are 9. I don't think swapping arms are possible, but I'm curious to see the Ken you have.

Sorry just realized you put it back.....

Comment

• AAAAA
      Permanent Member
      • Oct 28, 2005

Yeah ken came with the flex arm first I believe.in the late 60's early 70's

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

My wife has an old Ken whose arms are rather stubby and made like Big Jim's. I'm no Jim expert, but they look like they are the exact same arms. Not sure if Mattel made it this way, or some enterprising kid fixed their Ken in this fashion. The arms look a bit too short for Ken.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Sport & Shave Ken (1979) and All Star Ken (1981) used Big Jim style arms.
          Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 27, '11, 1:32 PM.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2007

^^ You are correct Sir.
            Bob

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Sport & Shave Ken (1979) and All Star Ken (1981) used Big Jim style arms.
              I was going to mention these, also. And Mattel later reused many BJ shoes & accessories for the Barbie lines.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

Learn something every day...

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                  Persistent Member
                  • Oct 3, 2007

I'm hoping to get back over to the G-will. Hopefully I can find one and this time I'll examine it better. Maybe I'll even buy it. It all breaks down to that shoulder connector. My Goodwill is a pay by the pound deal. Most items are loose and go fast. So hopefully I can get lucky and find another. Barbie stuff seems to linger over there longer. Go fig...
                  Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                  MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎