X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cptaction
    • Nov 15, 2007

Captain Action Meets Mego

Hello All!

I’m Joe Ahearn, co partner with Ed Catto in Captain Action Enterprises. For those of you unaware, Captain Action was the first ever Super Hero Action figure line put out by Ideal from 1966 to 1968. He was Ideal’s competitor to the 12 inch GIJoe.

Captain Action was the brainchild of marketing genius Stan Weston who, a couple of years after the line’s demise re-invented the super hero action figure line as Mego’s World’s Greatest Super Heroes, so you could say the 2 lines are related!

The current big news is that we have partnered with Dave Lee’s Castaway Toys, to Bring Captain Action and his nemesis Dr. Eville into the world of retro Mego as 8 inch exclusive figures. Besides the 2 figures Castaway will also be selling Captain Action generic hero customizing kits that will include masks, boots, gloved hands etc etc and will be offering them this for both the new 8 inch and original 12 inch sized figures.

The Phantom was one of the original Super Hero Uniforms CA could change into , and as a tribute to the old Ideal line Castaway will be issuing a Phantom Uniform for 8 inch CA in vintage Ideal style packaging.

The figures will be available online in 2008. No exact dates as yet but you can check the Captain Action website at http://www.captainactionnow.com
    for updates. Beyond that we’ll certainly do our best to keep you posted.

Regards,
    Joe Ahearn

CA Enterprises, Inc.
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

WOW! That's fantastic! I'd get one! I have the Playing Mantis Green Hornet version. And I like the Cafe Press stuff too! I hope they imrprove on the face sculpt. The Captain always looks like he's about to cry!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

OH Happy Day! Oh Happy Day!.....A CA Mego sized Oh yeah with a Phantom costume!!!!! How about The Green Hornet and Kato and The Lone Ranger? This is Fantastic news!

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Welcome! And thank VERY much for taking the time to introduce Yourself to Us! This is very exciting news(both the Figure's & the Costume Set's....WOW!!!)...and You've come to the right place. We WILL be Your biggest Fan Base...and I'm sure You know this Site has A LOT of Members! I'm also EXTREMELY happy, You chose to go with the 8" scale...I think You'll find it was the right choice!
        sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Welcome Joe,well everything sounds great,can't wait to see them
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Welcome aboard and thanks for the news.

Will you only do the 2 figures and the Phantom uniform or will you eventually get to Batman and Robin, Green Hornet and Kato, ... as well?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

So, you have to call him Dr. Eville now? Due to Austin Powers???
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to this line! Good luck with it!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• cptaction
                  • Nov 15, 2007

Captain Action meets Mego!

Hey gang, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I've been working with the CA character since the Playing Mantis days, and as a matter of fact I was responsible for getting them to do those repros.That relationship left me in the position to get the Trademark when the ball was dropped. Am really enjoying doing this.

As far as the head sculpts go they will be exact replicas of the 12 inch heads sized down. Dave Lee promised me he will do his best to get them to look "dead on". We will also be replicating the hands which all Cap fans know are great for holding all those accessories!
                  As respects "Dr. Eville", yes, unfortunately due to the Austin Powers thing we can't use the name as it was. I think the added letters give him a more Alien looking name which works out well because he is one

Feel free to ask any questions you like . Love to chat!!

Joe

Comment

• Hulk
                    Mayor of Megoville
                    • May 10, 2003

Welcome Joe, and thanks for posting.

Can you tell us if the heads will be rotocast, or solid?

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Hulk
                      Welcome Joe, and thanks for posting.

Can you tell us if the heads will be rotocast, or solid?
                      All Rotocast Paul, these will be 100 percent China made. The initial numbers depend on the initial response and as always we hope for Museum Support.

We are starting out slow, what we want is a QUALITY product first and foremost. When we approached Joe and Ed with this idea it was predicated on quality and precision. The same with the Phantom, we want to take these licenses and make the owners proud.

Since we are manufacturing and selling these figures ourselves, we know we have to satisfy our License holders first. The great thing about working with two great license holders, and the likes of Charlee Flatt and Scott Fensterer is that; once they are satisfied we know you guys will be as well!

Jason and I , Cast-a-Way Toys LLC, are personally putting ourselves out here on this, because we believe in the product. We have had a tremendous amount of help right here on the Mego Museum so far, and the generosity and encouragement we have received behind closed doors has already been fantastic.

I don't want to get to far into the details yet, but I will say that these "retro" figure released first will not utilize our premium format body. We will be producing an updated Type 2 if you will, what we feel MEGO would have done over time had they stuck around. On top of this we have a veritable cornucopia of new custom style accessories coming as well.

Hang in there true believers, we are on the cusp of our own little journey and we welcome any one interested in riding along!

Cheers!

-Dave
                      Last edited by David Lee; Nov 16, '07, 8:48 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Really COOL Dave!!!!! Man...I'm so excited about this!
                        sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

That's great. I look forward to seeing the results! Frankly, though, I always thought the sculpt on the original Cap was kind of weak. Maybe it's just the way he's painted, but he always has this expression on his face that seems to say, "Please don't hit me!" I hope you'll be fixing that.

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

Bravo, David, Joe and all. An exciting project and a lot of hard work I am sure.
                            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                              Author of Small Things
                              • Jun 14, 2001

Great news, can't wait to see 'em!
                              --
                              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎