• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

Big Jim, some questions.

Hello everyone,

I never had Big Jim as a kid, in fact, I have never heard of him until I started collecting vintage toys. I have just started to read on him and I must say he is one awesome toy. My question is, how does the 'face change' work, I can't seem to imagine how a button on the back of a figure makes the face change. That function alone makes me want to buy one, my other question is, how much should I expect to pay for Big Jim stuff? I would love to have one or two proudly in my Mego collection.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    I the Monster Hero
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

The two "face change" figures were "Double Trouble" Big Jim and Zorak (in the US and Canada. There were different versions in Europe and Mexico as well). They basically involved a head with a different face on the front and the back, and a "cover" that hid the mechanism (in the case of Zorak, a plastic hood, in the case of Big Jim, big plastic hair). You would raise the right arm up, then down and then press the button in the back, and the face would flip around to reveal the face on the opposite side. I had a Zorak as a kid, and thought the whole thing was pretty cool, but the face change worked less reliably over the years (if you buy one, try to make sure it still works, and if it does, don't wear it out! )

As for prices, they vary, but the two face change figures were a part of the Big Jim P.A.C.K. series, and these tend to be more popular with collectors and sell for pretty good money. (around $100-200 for nice boxed ones, depending on the figure?).

Comment

• MegoNinja
      Career Member
      • Feb 7, 2007

thanks for the info, would anyone be able to help me then with the regular Big Jim's? I am interested in picking up a Big Jim and Big Jack for my collection, the normal ones that have the weights and flexing arm ability.
      I the Monster Hero

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I can't help you out with those figures, but you should be able to find those particular ones (especially loose) for a reasonable price. Good luck, Big Jims are really cool figures!

Comment

• MegoNinja
          Career Member
          • Feb 7, 2007

yes, I must agree, but I have to say that my main complaint with Big Jim is the fact that they are not Mego, I am not hugely comfortable with spending money on vintage toy's when they are not made by mego, it is almost pointless. But Big Jim is very close to being AJ (which Im a huge fan of), and I think the action features that Big Jim has is just too cool.
          Is there a big jim museum or not?
          thanks for the help cjefferys aswell, oh and could someone direct me to an auction that has an original big jim (the weight lifting one), I can't find a single one on eBay.
          Last edited by MegoNinja; Nov 15, '07, 1:47 AM.
          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• QDOGG
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 13, 2007

"Hey partner why Jim? Why is it always Jim or Jack? Why not Big Jeff, Huh?, Huh"

Comment

• starsky
              veteran member
              • Aug 26, 2007

in the words of jan brady "marcia, marcia, marcia !"

Comment

• AAAAA
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 28, 2005

My fave is the Big Jim james bond stuff, from the other side of the pond.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by AAAAA
                  My fave is the Big Jim james bond stuff, from the other side of the pond.
                  The "James Bond" titled Big Jim figures are from Mexico. The European stuff doesn't mention Bond and is titled "004".

The only big money in Big Jim these days is P.A.C.K, European/Mexican toughies and hard to find packaging items like window boxed Warpath and Whip. I pretty much sold my collection for 50% of what I paid for it and wished I hadn't now.

Regular old Big Jim and Josh in nice condition should be easily had for under $30.00
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Big Jim's are my second favorites from my childhood and are slowly creeping their way back into my collection. The Bond Jim's are high on my list of wants. The Tarzan is My Grail....and the pack is what I'm after now.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                      The only big money in Big Jim these days is P.A.C.K, European/Mexican toughies
                      Of course, as those are the ones I'm really interested in. I've always really liked the European figure, Boris, who is basically Dr. Steel in a chaffeur's outfit and a Torpedo Fist like right arm. If I ever started collecting these, he'd be the first one I'd be looking for, he's really cool.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        Of course, as those are the ones I'm really interested in. .
                        \

Me too, I'm always getting beat on ebay.

I've always really liked the European figure, Boris, who is basically Dr. Steel in a chaffeur's outfit and a Torpedo Fist like right arm. If I ever started collecting these, he'd be the first one I'd be looking for, he's really cool.
                        I used to have him in a James Bond box, he's one of my favourites because he reminded me of a Matt Helm villain.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoNinja
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 7, 2007

Being a newbie with the Big Jim stuff, could any one tell me if it was just the first line of Big Jim's that had the muscle flex ability, did they just give up that idea when they released the next wave of Jims?
                          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

I'm pretty sure all the figures in the US line did, right up to and including the P.A.C.K. figures. The later European and Mexican figures appear to have the same rubber coated arms, so I'm assuming they had the flex ability too, but I've sadly never owned any of those to be sure.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                              Career Member
                              • May 14, 2007

I only 1 BIG JIM as a kid and it was the BIG JIM PACK commander. A great toy that I sold many years ago. Today I have purchased many off e-bay and have pretty good collection. I build alot mego customs, so I thought I'd try my hand and rebuilding and customizing some BIG JIMs. It was easier than I thought. I can now re-attach the broken legs, remove and replace broken hands, arms and heads. Also I use a special cleaner to remove all the grime from the arms that BIG JIM's suffer from. I use it as a buffer all over the body and it looks brand new. To my knowledge, I'm the only dealer that sells repro BIG JIM parts too. Everything from PACK decals to BIG JIM'S chrome hand gun, Warpath's bow & arrows and the European BIG JIM Sealab camper. I have many pleased customers and it's fun to do to.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎