X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Star Trek Menagerie on the big screen

I went to see the new digitally restored/enhanced HD print at the movies last night. It looked incredible, holding up really well on the big screen. Not my favorite episode, what with the long courtroom scenes, but it was a lot of fun. Kirk's flirting got big laughs, as did the moment when the Talosians steal the two female crewmembers and Spock cries out, "The WOMEN!" Everyone laughed at each reference to "Space Court" and Pike's "Space Accident". There were more than a few people in TOS outfits and I was the dork in the Superman jacket.

The whole thing was a commercial for the new HD DVD set of Season 1 and had a great preview for Season 2 restored. I think they've added extra showings, so if it's in your area check it out.
    This profile is no longer active.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Dang I'm Jealous, I forgot all about this and now it's too late to go for the 15th. I think if I had a friend locally who gave a crap about Star Trek it would be different but I seem to hang around with a horror crowd.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

I'm going tomorrow with Antonio to see it in NYC. Come visit us Brian!

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Did you go to Emeryville to see this, or is it playing closer?
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Gotta check out when they'll be playing here,but I wanna go for sure
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Hardygirl, it's playing at Emeryville, yep. My biggest complaint was they didn't crank the sound during the opening theme.

It looked so good, the colors were amazing. They have an introduction by Gene Roddenberry's son who talks about watching "The Cage" on a projector in his dad's office over and over. Some cool home movie shots from the set, too.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by johnmiic
              I'm going tomorrow with Antonio to see it in NYC. Come visit us Brian!
              I head radio ad for he showing here in NYC and I thought about the thread here.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Wee, come join us! Were going in the Village for 7:30pm tomorrow night.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 1, 2005

Aw man, I'd have loved to have seen this on the big screen. "Menagerie" is actually my favorite Star Trek episode, being the first one I really remember sitting down and watching as a young kid.

Comment

• MeerkatMego
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 7, 2007

My husband and I went on Thursday night and it was great. The remastered copies look great and the updated special effects are very impressive. I love the look of the fx Enterprise. My husband is a deadhard Trek fan so there was no way he was going to miss this showing. It wasn't a bad turn out for a Thursday night, especially since most folks in this area are gearheads and not geeks.
                    Meerkat Mego

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

After seeing it on the big screen in NYC last Thur. I have to say it looks good. The colors are very saturated tho when they put on their dress uniforms. You could almost get high and take a mind trip they glow so brightly. I noticed the texture of the threads and the medals seemed to be made of thread as well.

The CGI effectS are nice but I 'm not toally sold on them. Clips of other episodes and the second season were shown and I really think they are too different from the original set-ups. For example the Murasaki effect from the Galilieo 7 was really nice but the angles they shot the Enterprise at were never conisdered in the original episode. Now they didn't always shoot the E from left to right and even in that episode I don't think there's a shot of the E entering the Murasaki effect but the new angle they shot it from just doesn't seem right. The new shot is very dynamic but I don't find it preferrable.

The look of the Enterprise in space is not Classic Trek-like. There's a lot of contrast in the shots of the ship-almost like Galactica and Space:1999. Deep, dark shadows across the ship. If you compare with the spfx on the fan-made films for Starship Exeter & The New Voyages their effects seem more faithful to the original than these. They re-crreated the classic angles and they are well lit and not grainy. I would even liken some of these new shots to the covers on the old James Blish Star Trek paperbacks only airbrushed over.
                      Last edited by johnmiic; Nov 19, '07, 1:42 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Speaking of the NEW Enterprise CGI shots.

I just watched Doomsday Machine last night (new effects version)

Man, I can't see how anyone likes these effects.

To me, it looks like watching a video game (especially shots of the Enterprise itself).
                        They're so cartoonie.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎