Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a head like this to sell or an idea?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

Anyone have a head like this to sell or an idea?

As some of you know I am in a band and besides making Mego-like customs, I get to "bang my head" around on the weekends and partially during the week. I guess that is how this new Mego custom landed in my lap by a total accident. I can't really say much about the project on my table and I really don't know how it wound up on my table. Time to step up.

I have a friend who lets just say was in love with the late, great Kevin DuBrow the former singer for Quiet Riot. I'm taking this project pretty serious so please don't post any tasteless jokes about Kevin. He was one of my childhood heroes growing up.

(oddly enough I have another good friend of mine is now standing in Kevin's shoes as the singer. How ironic and exciting is that??)

So before I drive myself nuts trying to sculpt this head (wish I had Jessica's talents sometimes) I am going to see if this face looks like any rezin heads out there on a sell list or does anyone have anything?

Please ignore the hair, I can add that. I will probably go with a smaller Mego body and I have tons of Bratz fashions that I am re-working with some ideas I got from CTVTs. If you see or think of anything else please let me know.

I guess this project is going to require a box.
    Last edited by Cosmicman; Mar 31, '11, 2:00 PM. Reason: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

I don't have any leads but being a big Quiet Riot fan you must #1. make the mask and #2. share the pics.

Best of luck with the project. But you know thinking about it a Thor or Mr. Fantastic could be a good starting point considering Kevin's square features.

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Mr. Fantastic has a pretty square jaw. Find someone to cast a bald one and root some doll hair into it. AC Moore has a curly black doll hair that would probably work. Brian Leitner does a lot with the Mr. F head. I would check with him first.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Cosmicman
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 12, 2005

You know, I was holding on my Mr. Fantastic and looking at his face right before I came here and thinking that head would work. Classic.

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by jimsmegos
          I don't have any leads but being a big Quiet Riot fan you must #1. make the mask and #2. share the pics.

Best of luck with the project. But you know thinking about it a Thor or Mr. Fantastic could be a good starting point considering Kevin's square features.

Oh I will. I just have to find a good, satisfying start to it.

Between Kevin DuBrow, Ronnie James Dio and Peter Steele.....I can't imagine who else could top such a loss to such great music in hard rock recently!

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
            Career Member
            • Jul 25, 2010

Yeah, Mr. Fantastic might work..... what about Peter Burke?
            Vintage Toy Rescue
            1614-B N State Hwy 161
            Grand Prairie, TX 75050
            (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

The Buck Rogers head in 12" MEGO scale would be a good base. You want it in 8" tho.
              Last edited by johnmiic; Mar 31, '11, 9:24 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

worse comes to worse you can always go to "thatsmyface.com and have the head created that way. I di this for a custom of myself. They also can do heads in mego scale if needed
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

If you want to go all out usually the problem in sculpting or drawing is just size.
                  You said "Serious" so :
                  Mold a Mr Fantastic head.
                  Hydrospan Up to a size you feel comfortable doing your best sculpt in.
                  Mold it.
                  Cast it in Meltable clay.
                  Use reference pics same size as your working model. Use Calipers.
                  Mold it.
                  Hydrospan down to MEGO scale.
                  Cast it in resin.
                  do any carving affix neck plug.
                  Mold it in whatever you want the final to be in: Silicone, Resin, etc, using the right materials : ( I think my recent mistake with silicone is I didnt have a Resin mold. )

About bubbles? i am lost right now . I keep hearing about pressure pots while I'm trying to figure out Injection casting.

Good Luck ! Hope to to the final !

Comment

• Cosmicman
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Azrak
                    http://megolike.com/images/rttoys/nathanhale2.jpg

Hopefully somebody has this guy in their parts box. Lose the pink lips and it's pretty close as-is
                    I could start with that but that thing is close to zero in anyone's parts. Thanks for the idea Steve, you know the whole story what I am up against.
                    I would almost have to do some surgery on that head if I had it but it comes close.

Mr. Fantastic is a good choice, I am looking into that also.

Comment

• THE FALCON
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 2, 2011

Wow, I didn't know he passed on.

Comment

• johnmiic
                        Adrift
                        • Sep 6, 2002

The Mattel Mork & Mindy head has a similar expression on Robin Williams's face. Might also be a good starting point.

Last edited by johnmiic; Apr 2, '11, 7:35 AM.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by johnmiic
                          The Mattel Mork & Mindy head has a similar expression on Robin Williams's face. Might also be a good starting point.

http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!CBRL8W!Bmk~...2Tv7g~~_35.JPG
                          I never would have made the connection... but good call.

Comment

• YANOULI
                            Part-Time Timelord
                            • Jan 9, 2006

What about adapting a Stallone ( from Rambo 4 ) or Mickey Rourke ( whiplash from Iron Man 2 ) head?
                            Last edited by YANOULI; Apr 5, '11, 8:18 AM.
                            " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Cosmicman
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by johnmiic

http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!CBRL8W!Bmk~...2Tv7g~~_35.JPG
                              Thanks JohnMiic!! I went to the experts with this idea and that head is too big. If I knew how to shrink stuff down it would have worked.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎