X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Captain Marvel colors

so the marvel Captain Marvel. I was looking at the pics Samurainoir posted and was wondering if he's black and red or blue and red, is it one of those debates like Spidey's costume or Batman?. I really like the early look with the Gil kane cover art.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

You mean Mar-Vell? I always thought it was (navy) blue & red, but of course I like my Batman blue, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, mar-vell. SOme of the early stuff really looks like the intent was black.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Darth Freeman
        • Mar 20, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        so the marvel Captain Marvel. I was looking at the pics Samurainoir posted and was wondering if he's black and red or blue and red, is it one of those debates like Spidey's costume or Batman?. I really like the early look with the Gil kane cover art.
        I think Mar-vell's outfit, the black/blue portion, is somewhat the same as Iron Man's stealth armor. It seems like it should be black, but there is a lot of blue in there, to give definition--or it should be blue, but there is a lot of black in there, to give definition.

Does that help any?

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

It's open to interpretation... I'd say for a "retro" look, go with blue. Captain Mar-Vell pretty much ended his run around the same time that the four-colour newsprint comic book went away.

If you are aiming for more contemporary, it's definitely black as witnessed by the star-field that manifests when Genis-Vell is wielding the Power Cosmic. It's definitely a challenge getting the starfield to look right... I keep thinking how cool it might be to get some pictures from the hubble telescope and using that on a printed suit.
          Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 1, '11, 2:49 PM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

For comparison...

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

I am leaning towards this look, really like the mask. The costume really has a solid silver age look to it.

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

Well if it only was colored that way in the Batman Spiderman Blue/black then it was meant to be black if seen in three dimensions I guess.

Might look funny though, like the first time I saw a Toy Biz black and red Spiderman figure . . . . . . . . . . .kinda weird. . . . .

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

I'd probably split the difference and do a dark navy blue.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I'm leaning towards black, I laid the fabrics together and they look good.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

The cover you posted is terrific--I had no idea the character was that old...

Love the silver "Captain Atom" hair.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Captain Marvel had a previous costume that was green and is really old.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

^^^^ I already have a custom of him, so I was intrigued by the early covers by Gil Kane of the newer costume.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎