Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperMego
    • Feb 23, 2011

Creativity VS Collecting: Part II

Good Afternoon You Most Excellent Citizens of Megosia!
    Yesterday I talked about how cool it would be to create a custom Star Wars Mego that looked more like how it would have actually looked back in the mid 70's, before the movie really took off to be what it is today, and if The Fates had been kinder and Grandpa Abrams purchased the rights to Episode IV. As my son and I thought about the possible combinations of bodies, parts, accessories, re-used costumes, etc. that may have been used, an insight concerning creativity entered my mego-filled mind.
    Creativity only needs a few scraps of inspiration to begin the flood of new ideas that come with a syncronizing of problem and solution. There's no real problem concerning play-time but rather the problem of choosing from a variety of potentials. "What do I want to do? Who do I want to pretend I am? Where do I want to go on my adventure?" Enter the lonely Mego doll/action figure.
    Now, what does (did) a Mego give you? To today's standards, not much. An 8" figure with a costume and, if you're lucky, an accessory. However, the magic that is Mego helped to unlock all of that wonderful pop-cultural content that we all had (and still have) in our memories; Star Trek, POTA, Sat. morning cartoons, comics, early anime and live-action japanese Kaiju films, etc. We didn't need much to get the creative juices flowing. What we did need was a real good toy that would allow us to play out our fantasies, respond to our intentions and were presented in such a variety that allowed us as children to choose our own individualized path of fantasy-play. Megos became an addition to what we already had in our minds. They were the impetus that created the spark and helped our imaginations get kick-started. The fact that you could change costumes, combine different heads on different bodies, interchange accessories, etc. meets one of the most important indicators of creativity; flexibility.
    They were also user-friendly. Textural qualities like soft plastic (heads), cloth, light-weight bodies and accessories made handling these toys a pleasurable, comfortable experience. Have you ever dropped a Rescue Hero on your foot?
    I know I'm rambling but I'm really interested in this kind of thing and megos are a pointer (for me) to unlocking some mysteries about play and creativity.
    In my third and final installation, I'll share my idea for a really awesome, alternate Mego-reality, 70's style Chewbacca.
    Last edited by SuperMego; Mar 22, '11, 2:01 PM. Reason: Needed to add more.
  • Trappy Trek Freak
    House of a thousand Megos
    • Aug 10, 2009

Darth Vader would have klingon boots, black body suit, vader belt, chest sticker, chips hands or mr. Fantastic gloves, black cape and helmet head. Oh and a light saber!!
    Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• SuperMego
      • Feb 23, 2011

That's the spirit! Yes! Definitely a chest sticker! I'm laughing out loud right now because I can actually see it in my mind's eye. I can also see how p***ed I would've been because it definitely would have lost its adhesive qualities and got lost, just like my Captain America and Shazam! stickers. Thanks for the enthusiasm!
      Last edited by SuperMego; Mar 22, '11, 1:55 PM. Reason: Innappropriate wording

Comment

• SuperMego
        • Feb 23, 2011

About the light saber. What if they didn't want to spend money on a light saber mold? I read that Sci-fi movies at that time did horribly at the box office with POTA and 2001, A Space Odyssey being the closest thing to a money-maker. Hollywood didn't want to invest let alone toy companies. Do you think they would have given him a regular sword painted red like, from World's Greatest Knights or Pirates? Maybe something from the Flash Gordon series since that was so close to Lucas' heart. (I also read that Lucas wanted to make a more hard-core rendition of Flash Gordon but couldn't get the rights, hence Star Wars.) I would love to see Vader with a two-handed broad sword. Kinda conjures up images of the inspirational paintings by Ralph McQuarrie.

Comment

• TrueDave
          Toy Maker
          • Jan 12, 2008

My favorite MEGO memory was chewing on Spiderman's great big shiny red noggin at my baby sitters.
          I was too young to be critical of them .
          Birth: Mego, Star Wars, GI Joe RAH, Comic books, Work, College, GI Joe 12" Girls, Death.
          Thats my story.

( If Star Wars started out cheap it would have improved if the toys took off just like Planet of the Apes did. Better boots in later waves etc.)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎