X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Adventure 2000

I absolutely adored toys like Matchboxes "Adventure 2000" as a boy and was really disheartened as an adult in the actual year 2000, none of their bold predictions came true. My Pontiac Aztek could not fly nor did I get any sort of laser cannon accessories.

You lied to me Matchbox!
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

I still have the raider commander set. I still think they are cool as hell, but wow I had no idea they were so old. For some reason I had thought I purchased it in the early 80's
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Looks like a forerunner of M.A.S.K. somewhat. And some of the sci-fi elements from GI Joe RAH.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

When I was a kid, a freind got the Raider Commander set. Always wanted one, but never found one. Funny thing, years later it turns up in an old Judge Dredd comic, and I've always wondered what came first, the toy or the comic.

Don C.

Comment

• mightyquinn
          Proud to be a Nerd
          • Aug 4, 2009

Cool concept.
          Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I thought this had something to do with Adventure from Atari.

Comment

• babycyclops
              Career Member
              • Jul 9, 2010

Originally posted by ctc
              Hmmmm....

When I was a kid, a freind got the Raider Commander set. Always wanted one, but never found one. Funny thing, years later it turns up in an old Judge Dredd comic, and I've always wondered what came first, the toy or the comic.

Don C.
              Always wondered that myself.
              I still have my Raider Commander set from when I was a kid. These are such well made, sturdy, and imaginative toys. The front section still rolls smoothly, and I have most of the missiles and figured that came with it, too. One of my favorite toys.
              I also have the flying car thingy, though the wings need a little coaxing to pop out.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>I still have my Raider Commander set from when I was a kid.

Do you have the little guys that came with it? Looking back, one of them COULD have been a Mega-City judge. We always thought the guy in the helmet was a space bad-guy when I was a kid.

Don C.

Comment

• babycyclops
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 9, 2010

Originally posted by ctc
                  Do you have the little guys that came with it? Looking back, one of them COULD have been a Mega-City judge. We always thought the guy in the helmet was a space bad-guy when I was a kid.

Don C.
                  Yep, still got the little guys. They are definitely not Mega-City Judges. From memory there were 3 different figures. Two were kind of alien looking, with pointy ears, wearing a cape or finned helmet. The third was more human looking.
                  I might see if I can dig 'em out and get a photo.
                  It seems these toys came out before the 'Cursed Earth' Juge Dredd story, since they were realeased in 1977, which was the same year 2000AD magazine started, and the story in question was at least a couple of years into the comic's run.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>the story in question was at least a couple of years into the comic's run.

April, 1978 is when the Cursed Earth story started.

>Two were kind of alien looking, with pointy ears, wearing a cape or finned helmet. The third was more human looking.

The set my friend had when we were kids had two kinda generic army lookin' guys, and a caped feller with round helmet. (There's two of 'em in the pic.) I don't remember them too well, but the caped guy had a bullet shaped helmet that could have been like Dredd's. (I'd love to see pics, since this has been bugging me for a while now.)

Don C.

Comment

• babycyclops
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 9, 2010

Here are some shots of the Land Raider and the figures that were packaged with it, plus one shot with Dredd just for fun

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Oh, they came out tiny I'll see if I can fix.
                      Last edited by babycyclops; Mar 20, '11, 9:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎