X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almitysufx
    Persistent Member
    • May 27, 2004

Sculpting tools, what do you use???

I posted a Gene Wilder Wonka head in the works in progress section and in the description I mentioned that my "tool of choice" is a toothpick. That seemed to wow a few people but it's really all I've ever used. In all honesty, it is a modified toothpick, I break off the tip on one end and sand it round and smooth.
    So all you other custom makers, what are your tools?
  • REMOVED
    • Apr 23, 2024

i use clay shaper tools, a pointed purple knitting needle, a couple of rounded pointed rods, and a really pointed sharp metal rod. The clay shaper tools are made out of silicone and work pretty well for smoothing. They have curves, points and angles on them and come in different sizes.

Probably the purple knitting needle is my favorite tool.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I use some dental tools I found at a dollar store in the mall a long time ago.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I use a scalpel and x-acto knife, a set of wooden clay shaping tools, a set of custom sculpting picks I got on ebay for a couple bucks, an x-acto saw and mitre box, and a set of tiny jeweller's files.

Don C.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by almitysufx
          I posted a Gene Wilder Wonka head in the works in progress section and in the description I mentioned that my "tool of choice" is a toothpick. That seemed to wow a few people but it's really all I've ever used. In all honesty, it is a modified toothpick, I break off the tip on one end and sand it round and smooth.
          So all you other custom makers, what are your tools?
          that's my favorite tool, too, and a #11 exacto.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• piecemaker
            There's no need to fear..
            • Jan 26, 2009

The first few sculpts i did,i used only the leather shaping tool on the left.Recently i've been experimenting with some other tools.I bought some wax sculpting tools,the second and third ones,an exacto knife,ground down steel rod and the lighted earpick,one of the attachments i going to grind down some.I also bought a very small Dremel bit that i use for shaping hardened Sculptey.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
              Career Member
              • Jul 25, 2010

Keep in mind that i have yet to sculpt anything ....... but i bought the Sculpey 5-in-1 tool kit at my local hobby store for around $15. I worked with some clay this weekend and the tools seemed really helpful to me.
              Vintage Toy Rescue
              1614-B N State Hwy 161
              Grand Prairie, TX 75050
              (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

I used to use a Revlon Cuticle tool. I found it very good for sculpting. One end had a knife-like beak and the other end had a paddle. The Beak end was very good for sculpting the face and hair-which is the part I really enjoy doing. I used to use the paddle to rub fingerprints off things I sculpted, push the sculpey evenly over the proto-head and create the shapes of the eye-sockets. I guess I was too rough with it and it broke in 1/2. I'll have to find another one.

So I bought mini-clay shapers with soft silicone tips. I have metal clay scrapers, the kind with the wire loops. I also bought some sculpey long blades at an art store. They are long flat pieces of metal, one has a washboard pattern, which are not really sharp enough to cut skin. I have not been happy enough with my results to offer anything publicly. I guess I want too much perfection. I should probably practice more because from the stuff I worked on a few years ago it looks like I was heading in the right direction.

Examples of my work can be found here:

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

rubber tipped clay shapers and popsicle sticks cut to a point.

I first learned how to customize using my dads toothpicks, my brothers testor paint and my plastic Indians.

Comment

• yokaijohn
                    Keep it coolin', baby
                    • Oct 1, 2008

My trusty exacto knife and my fingers,mostly.
                    Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎