X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Star Wars vintage "speculation" woes :-(

I was right on top of Star Wars toys being collectables in the 1980s.

The idea that seemed to be held high is the Die Cast vehicles and the 12' dolls would be the toys that would have teh most long term value.
    Traditionally Dolls and Die cast stuff had a history of being collected.

But Tie Bombers and IG 88s don't top the lists anymore . . . . . .

How about your experiences ? Star Wars or otherwise.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I'll gladly buy your bombers.

speculation is exactly that. A boxed IG88 is still a pretty strong contender, despite the economic turmoils of late.

Comment

• English Paul
      Archive cased.
      • Aug 17, 2005

I've just sold off all my 12" figures. I was only missing IG88. I'm on a carded vintage train at the moment so Mr 88 was at the bottom of my want list. I was also begining to think that the 12" range seems more prone to deterioration (melting etc) so decided that long term these were no longer good buys.
      "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I kind of got back into collecting the 3.5" figures right after "Phantom Menace" came out. Just prior, a lot of the speculators were selling their stuff, and when the movie didn't go over so good interest seemed to drop, and you could get lots of stuff for cheap.

Don C.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

I remember back in the mid to late 1980's, the large size figures were the first Kenner SW toys to really start appreciating in value. I remember very early price guides listing them at what was in those days, near unheard of values for such recent toys. But eventually, carded 3 3/4" figures have really ended up increasing in value compared to boxed 12" figures, which have really stagnated in comparison (if you look at values over a 20+ year period). Fine with me, I'm still trying to put together a 12" collection, so I don't mind the lower prices for those.

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Fine with me, I'm still trying to put together a 12" collection, so I don't mind the lower prices for those.
            I'm with you 100%. I'm getting there, and IG-88 and Fett are the only ones that might be tough to acquire at a price I'm kosher with.

Comment

• MEGOMAN
              Defender of the Megoverse
              • Dec 30, 2008

Actually Han, Luke and IG-88 "complete" are like the toughest to find. Boba Fett not so tough. Even Leia "complete" is tough to find as well. Just about every Leia out of box you come across will not come with her comb and brush. The rest of them are not too hard to find in good condition and complete. You can get most them on eBay in great condition and complete except for IG-88. Out of them all he is a pain to find find complete. A complete IG-88 can go for $300 in good condition.

Comment

• BOTZWANA
                spam
                • May 28, 2009

Ok....I gotta find my Star Wars toys at the Mexican swap meets....Know what I have found so far? One red Snaggletooth and a naked TaunTaun....So you guys don't complain to me...Oh, this is FOUR years of searching too!

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by BOTZWANA
                  Ok....I gotta find my Star Wars toys at the Mexican swap meets....Know what I have found so far? One red Snaggletooth and a naked TaunTaun....So you guys don't complain to me...Oh, this is FOUR years of searching too!
                  But I cant find those awesome Marx Man from Uncle Bootlegs up here!!!!!!!
                  Speaking of completeness I dont think I have EVER seen the ship that goes inside the Die Cast Star Destroyer.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Still looking for a vintage 12 inch Solo and Kenobi, and I'm done.

Prices for loose vintage SW seems to have been in a real downward spiral.
                    Only prices for MIB MOC are still strong here in Europe.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• torgospizza
                      Theocrat of Pan Tang
                      • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      Still looking for a vintage 12 inch Solo and Kenobi, and I'm done.
                      Are you looking for MIB or loose ones, GC? I've gotten lucky with both of those in the past few months--grabbed a loose Han for $19.50 and loose Obi-Wan for $31. Just got a set of R2 and 3PO for $10.40 (with $20 shipping, though) the other day...that really surprised me. It's getting pretty easy to get these guys.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎